• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Front inner wheel well issues

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I can attest to this. My F-150 had the cam phaser rattle. I had it documented right before my warranty expired, since the service department and parts were backed up by 3-6 months. Had the cam phasers fixed a few months after my warranty expired and since the dealership had it on record prior to the expiration date/mileage, it was covered. When/if you do this, be sure to ask your service advisor for a printout from their system, showing that it has been documented for your vehicle. The printout should be your typical service department service report (i.e. your name, address, year, make, model, mileage). If you don't get something like this, then yea, you won't have much backing to support your claim later on.
True dat. Half the time service visits are for the documentation, since most of the time i’m gonna check the work anyway.
Sponsored

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
The Diyvan fix looks good. They would not ship to Canada, so I had it shipped to my drop mailbox in Maine, 5 hours away. Will be picking it up next week, taking the Gorilla tape off, and installing it.
I wonder why they wouldn’t ship to Canada?

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
I brought my 2018 in to have the typewrite tic sound documented, just in case.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd
So i went kydex route like another member or two posted about while back. Very happy with the results. Cost was less than $30 for kydex and plastic rivet gun w/rivets. Took maybe 1.5 total as i took my time and I was doing it on Jack stands plus have a hip issue. Also took my time trimming with my scroll saw.

S650 Mustang Front inner wheel well issues IMG_8285

S650 Mustang Front inner wheel well issues IMG_8279

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
So i went kydex route like another member or two posted about while back. Very happy with the results. Cost was less than $30 for kydex and plastic rivet gun w/rivets. Took maybe 1.5 total as i took my time and I was doing it on Jack stands plus have a hip issue. Also took my time trimming with my scroll saw.

IMG_8285.jpeg

IMG_8279.jpeg
Looks great. I don't have any of the tools AND I have back issues. It was hard enough getting up and down to do the DIYVan.com solution. I managed.

MJS54

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 Corvette Cpe, '18 Lexus ES 350, '23 Bronco Spt
It’s too bad that Ford can’t simply acknowledge/address this situation and tell us that the holes serve a purpose and what that purpose is AND tell us that if the rocker panel fills up with gravel, stones, etc., that you can take it to your dealer and have them clean them out even if your warranty expires. It could cost them a lot to recall every S650 made thus far and cover up the holes. On the other hand,
I believe that Ford should come up with a rubber/plastic “plug” that the owner can simply pop in, fits snug and solves the problem. In the meantime I will probably just use Gorilla or Flex Seal tape to cover the hole…and if Ford says those holes do serve a purpose then I can simply remove the Tape. You know that someone from Ford is reading our postings.
I don’t know the exact opening size…but something like a square plug or cap… see the pic, might work.

S650 Mustang Front inner wheel well issues IMG_7382

S650 Mustang Front inner wheel well issues IMG_7381

Last edited:

MJS54

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some peeps on Facebook reporting that this rock guard for the fronts covers that sneaky hole.

https://zl1addons.com/products/copy-mustang-dark-horse-standard-rock-guards

Anybody else have experience with it? It could most likely be a marketing ploy that it does cover as the person has not shared the pics yet - but just claims it to cover it up. Any experience from members on here would be appreciated.

Cheers!
That’s neat…but I think it protrudes a little too much and gives more of “mud guard” look…I guess it could be trimmed a bit closer to the fender. And the hole would still be covered.

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
I have the Zl1's and confirm that they do no cover the hole. Even on their website one can see it on the last image. They work perfect for what they are designed for keeping side paint looking good.

OP
OP
TUnica

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang Fastback, 68 Falcon Sports Coupe
It’s too bad that Ford can’t simply acknowledge/address this situation and tell us that the holes serve a purpose and what that purpose is AND tell us that if the rocker panel fills up with gravel, stones, etc., that you can take it to your dealer and have them clean them out even if your warranty expires. It could cost them a lot to recall every S650 made thus far and cover up the holes. On the other hand,
I believe that Ford should come up with a rubber/plastic “plug” that the owner can simply pop in, fits snug and solves the problem. In the meantime I will probably just use Gorilla or Flex Seal tape to cover the hole…and if Ford says those holes do serve a purpose then I can simply remove the Tape. You know that someone from Ford is reading our postings.
I don’t know the exact opening size…but something like a square plug or cap… see the pic, might work.

IMG_7382.png

IMG_7381.png
The Geomitry is not straight forward there, Heinz’s mm

IMG_7382.png

IMG_7381.png
unfortunately the geometry is irregular at this opening so what ever is used needs to conform to the shape.

MJS54

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Geomitry is not straight forward there, Heinz’s mm

unfortunately the geometry is irregular at this opening so what ever is used needs to conform to the shape.
Understood, but perhaps Ford could acknowledge this problem and have a cap, plug, patch etc., (that simply snaps/glues in ) made that could be sent to dealers who could then install them. Problem solved.

NH_woodser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EcoBoost Premium Convertible
I finally got my new car home from the dealership Thursday. First thing I did was install Hein's kit from DIYvan. Very fast and easy, perfect fit. It is a little pricey, but the quality is excellent. My only suggestion for improvement to the kit would be to include four foam blocks instead of two; so that both sides can be installed at the same time. I supplied two more foam blocks. It might add 2 cents to the cost of the kit and would not require a larger box or increased shipping cost.

C.A.R.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I HAVE THE HEINZ KIT BUT AM TRYING TO GET SOME INFORMATION FROM FORD BEFORE I INSTALL IT. IN THE MEANTIME, I'VE DONE AN ACCEPTABLE JOB OF CLOSING THE HOLES WITH A COMBINATION OF PLASTIC MESH AND DUCT TAPE, WHICH IS HOLDING UP BECAUSE I DRIVE THE CAR SO SELDOM. HAS ANYONE BEEN ABLE TO GET AN ANSWER FROM FORD AS TO WHETHER SEALING THE HOLES COULD CAUSE A PROBLEM. A FORD DEALER I CHECKED WITH SEEMED TO THINK THE HOLES WERE NECESSARY FOR VENTILATION. THE SERVICE TECHNICIAN SAID SEALING THE HOLES MIGHT CAUSE THE BRAKES TO OVERHEAT. I DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT BECAUSE THE ENTIRE WHEEL WELL IS OF COURSE OPEN AT THE SIDE OF EACH WHEEL. NOT BEING ANY KIND OF ENGINEER I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW THE HOLES COULD AFFECT THE AIR FLOW OVER THE BRAKES
Sponsored