• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Ford dealer/warranty work and oil changes

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
I have always changed my own oil and having Honda, Nissan, and Pontiac vehicles that had a warranty they never questioned my oil changes on warranty work. The dealer I bought from said Ford is adamant that a certified tech needs to change the oil to keep future warranty work possible. I know about the magnusen moss act and they canā€™t legally hold us to the tech oil change. Iā€™m asking is Ford that strict on warranty work, specifically the engine, because Iā€™m having a hard time justifying the $190 for what Ford charges an oil change. I change the oil regularly (usually an oil analysis as well) and use quality filters so Iā€™m not anticipating any engine issues but just in case. Thanks

Iā€™ll also add that I keep a detail record of what oil I buy, when and where and keep a spreadsheet of that as well as other maintenances performed. Receipts are kept as long as they are still visible too.
Sponsored

jamespmoran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150, 2020 Explorer ST, 2004 Thunderbird
I have always changed my own oil and having Honda, Nissan, and Pontiac vehicles that had a warranty they never questioned my oil changes on warranty work. The dealer I bought from said Ford is adamant that a certified tech needs to change the oil to keep future warranty work possible. I know about the magnusen moss act and they canā€™t legally hold us to the tech oil change. Iā€™m asking is Ford that strict on warranty work, specifically the engine, because Iā€™m having a hard time justifying the $190 for what Ford charges an oil change. I change the oil regularly (usually an oil analysis as well) and use quality filters so Iā€™m not anticipating any engine issues but just in case. Thanks

Iā€™ll also add that I keep a detail record of what oil I buy, when and where and keep a spreadsheet of that as well as other maintenances performed. Receipts are kept as long as they are still visible too.
You can also use the Ford Pass app to enter any work

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Using the Ford Pass App, an Owner can record their maintenance by uploading receipts, photos and screenshots of the work done, along with the date and cost. Owners can also make updates at the CarFax site. I update both sites each time I do maintenance.

Last edited:

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
Agree with all of the above. Case in point: My 2010 F-150 I bought used with a certified pre-owned warranty in 2015.developed what I thought was the cam phaser tick (she also knocked like hell under load on 87...should've been my first clue something was up). My service manager said no way was it the cam phasers, but that it was an oil pump failure and over time the engine would eat itself. I did all of my own oil changes with Motorcraft engine oil and filters, and documented all of it in Fordpass. Ford covered 100% of the cost to put a new long block in the truck. The fact that I had not had the Ford dealer maintain it was irrelevant. That was 112,000 miles ago. No issues since, but of course the CPO warranty is long expired now.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse

$190 for an oil change?!?! what scammers!! the dealer i work at do a 10 quart full synthetic oil change with tire rotation for $171, and even that is a lot considering 10 quarts of full synthetic Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is $80 plus a $6 filter

OP
OP
Vapor Blue GT

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
dealer lying to you with scare tactics to make a sale ā€¦this needs to stop ..even my dealer told me the same BS ..i told them to F@$& off my hands are capable
I figured that much as itā€™s not my first time around the block. However, itā€™s our first new car since 2013 and I wasnā€™t sure if things had changed. I also realized he was not being honest or just not knowledgeable when he said I would also be charged $100 deductible for warranty work even under the 3/36,000 mile bumper to bumper. This was the finance guy, not the salesman. Salesman was pretty good for a young kid except trying to push their car care protectant packages.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vapor Blue GT

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
$190 for an oil change?!?! what scammers!! the dealer i work at do a 10 quart full synthetic oil change with tire rotation for $171, and even that is a lot considering 10 quarts of full synthetic Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is $80 plus a $6 filter
For that price I can use amsoil and do it twice. I almost šŸ’© my pants when I heard that price.

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
Using the Ford Pass App, an Owner can record their maintenance by uploading receipts, photos and screenshots of the work done, along with the date and cost. Owners can also make updates at the CarFax site. I update both sites each time I do maintenance.
Didn't even know you could do that. Dope.

Yes, Ford is adamant about oil change records (or other services) when it comes to a failure requiring a cost-cap. As long as you have some form of proof you or someone else (trustworthy/certified) did it per manufacturer service intervals, you should be fine.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd
Wow had no idea i could upload the info from my own oil changes in the FordPass app. Been doing changes on my 21 F150 without recording it for 2+ years now. I just uploaded the info for my S650 though as I started to document it with my own records.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
My local dealer also charges about that much for an oil change. Valvoline is closer to $130. But do you trust them not to lose any of the 21 screws required to remove the cover, or to keep everything clean?

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
My local dealer also charges about that much for an oil change. Valvoline is closer to $130. But do you trust them not to lose any of the 21 screws required to remove the cover, or to keep everything clean?
i only trust myself or someone i know and i'm watching to do oil changes. now that we're back to a bolt, things go back into the territory of the guy with a 3/4th impact that gets paid $14/hr

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
i only trust myself or someone i know and i'm watching to do oil changes. now that we're back to a bolt, things go back into the territory of the guy with a 3/4th impact that gets paid $14/hr
For real!

OP
OP
Vapor Blue GT

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
Are you serious, 21 screws??? WTH do we have to remove the whole bottom of the car?? Lol
Sponsored