• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

dfanucci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang Coupe
Because that is a recent corruption of journalistic integrity that tramples on all that the profession has stood - no, never mind, I can't do this. I keep cracking up.
I've been in this car game a looooong time, and I can't remember *any* car review/preview/editorial in which a journalist flat out calls any of its readers a narcissist if they don't agree with the way a vehicle is headed.

You laugh at the New Coke analogy, and I'll die laughing at the Ford Probe...
Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1

detamble13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Camaro SS LS3
Manā€™s been employed by major car mags for nearly 20 years. I can promise you that heā€™s not concerned about criticizing a motor company šŸ˜‚
You're right. And I do enjoy some of his articles.

It's the attitude that we need to get on board with the version of Mustang Ford makes available. Journalists need to keep the enthusiasts on board or a decent portion of their audience will be gone.

If/when the Mustang adds more body styles I hope the two door car continues to be top priority and sets the standard for what the brand is. This would ensure a two door car exists in the future, whatever it happens to be powered by.

Burnin' Rubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Domestic
This is a Vibe.

S650 Mustang Ezra Dyer: Mustang Is a Vibe.... It's an Attitude, Not a Format. 1665020038345

Seriously, though, the traditional Mustang proportions with long hood is to fit a big ICE in the front. I'm not sure how to justify that design carrying into a BEV. Does all that hood just become trunk space underneath, or extra battery space?

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is a Vibe.

1665020038345.png

Seriously, though, the traditional Mustang proportions with long hood is to fit a big ICE in the front. I'm not sure how to justify that design carrying into a BEV. Does all that hood just become trunk space underneath, or extra battery space?
Well, you can place the batteries on the bottom and run the risk of being electrocuted in a flood or the battery exploding, or you can use that massive front for the battery front loading the weight similar to a V8.

MustangMac67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
Well, you can place the batteries on the bottom and run the risk of being electrocuted in a flood or the battery exploding, or you can use that massive front for the battery front loading the weight similar to a V8.
Agreed about the battery where the v8 was, but not about getting electrocuted. You will run the battery though. They could put some battery in the front, but use the trans tunnel for more batteries. I know one company did that or has showed the could/would.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed about the battery where the v8 was, but not about getting electrocuted. You will run the battery though. They could put some battery in the front, but use the trans tunnel for more batteries. I know one company did that or has showed the could/would.
Plausible hyperbole.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
I was looking at a car magazine this morning, and it occurred to me that the solution to some people's dislike of the 650 is pretty straightforward. It's right in front of us.

Buy a used Mustang.

Seriously. The 650 is a modern mass-produced car. This is what they're like and are going to be like. You don't want a modern Detroit car. You want a classic.

I mean, aren't the classics better? They're clearly what muscle cars "are meant to be."

We all know there are a billion Mustangs from all generations for sale and zillions of available parts* to restore and modify them. So people who want "heritage" in every detail are really in clover, right?

And the manufacturers can concentrate on staying in business by building cars that will satisfy younger buyers and the future market.

So, we're good now.

*These numbers are approximate.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stuff With Wheels

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Manā€™s been employed by major car mags for nearly 20 years. I can promise you that heā€™s not concerned about criticizing a motor company šŸ˜‚
his employer IS skeer'd of the company yanking their advertising budget though.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
Wow...the absolute hatred on this thread...
Sorry, but I think Ezra hit the nail on the head. Yes, people like "their" Mustang, but lets face it, everyone has their era.
I know people who love fox bodied Mustangs. Some love the 67 mustang shape. Others the G5 body style.

I also know people who absolutely hate them. Their love is the G6 or the G7 mustangs. I hear words like modern, sophisticated, powerful, athletic, and planted when talking about the new generations These same people mention blocky, anemic, floaty, and primitive. when they talk about G5 and prior.

The fact is, we all have out favorites, but just because we love our "insert x model here" doesn't mean we should close off our eyes and ears and throw temper tantrums because a change is made. Yeah, if they made another probe and intended to call it a mustang, go ahead, but this isn't that situation. It's a refinement of what they have and where they are going.

Maybe instead of throwing a fit about something we can't change (display), maybe we can ask Ford to make it useful beyond what they think we should see.

For instance, allow us to customize the displays. so for example, if you are running a track, you are more concerned about rpm and staying in the power band than overall speed. Allow us to stuff the speedo in a corner and make the tach fairly large and easy to read at a glance. Some folks may want to monitor their temperatures. So allow us to line up trans, diff, oil, coolant, etc all in a row. Maybe it's an old style needle gauge, or maybe is a color coded circle with a number in it. Dark blue is very cold, dark to light green is within normal operating temperatures, yellow indicates it's getting a little warm, but still okay, orange indicates you are having an issue while red and dark red indicate serious issues/overheating Allow someone who has certain types of colorblindness to modify the display so that it doesn't impact them, etc.
maybe even allow for custom displays...so if say @DRB comes up with a display that can highlight individual cylinder temps easily and others want to use it, he can share that display.

The displays are not going to go anywhere...so let's try and get Ford to let us use them to the full advantage they can offer.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
So I guess Subaru fans aren't allowed to get salty when the Forester gets rebadged as a BEV and they slap the WRX/STi label on it?

Or the Camaro gets 2 more doors (ala Caddy Blackwing) and joins the Corvette family of cars?

I'm perfectly happy that the Mach-E exists and is selling. But it's not a Mustang in name or vibe or concept. It could have been TRIVIALLY named Taurus and not offended anybody.
And I'm no died in the wool Mustang devotee.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
Anyone can get as cranky as they like, about anything they choose. Forget it, Jake, it's the Internet.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
When these major markets find out the BEV does not work on a mass scale ICE will be back.
I think people will just transition to hydrogen fuel cell tech at that point. Has most of the advantages of ICE and evs combined.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
So I guess Subaru fans aren't allowed to get salty when the Forester gets rebadged as a BEV and they slap the WRX/STi label on it?

Or the Camaro gets 2 more doors (ala Caddy Blackwing) and joins the Corvette family of cars?

I'm perfectly happy that the Mach-E exists and is selling. But it's not a Mustang in name or vibe or concept. It could have been TRIVIALLY named Taurus and not offended anybody.
And I'm no died in the wool Mustang devotee.
Personally, I think galaxy would have been a cool pick. Futuristic, unique sounding, some historical significance, but not enough to anger most car fans. Plus it would have have been a better car than the current vehicle using the galaxy name, which is just like a s-max minivan thing sold thought Europe I believe.
Sponsored