• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Ezra Dyer: Mustang Is a Vibe
Consider Ford's 5.0 coupe an inspiration rather than a template.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a41209763/ford-mustang-is-a-vibe/

I enjoyed that read...
Thanks for posting. Good conversation piece. I disagree vehemently with Dyer's posit that the Mach E is fun like a Mustang is fun. I mean come on, it doesn't have a shifter. It has 4 doors. It's powered by batteries. It's expensive.

The Mach E is fun like a 1969 390 powered Ford station wagon, a 70s VW beetle or a Pontiac Aztek is fun. If you like cars enough you can enjoy anything to some degree.

But Ford isn't making the Mach E as a fun car. Ford is trying to make money. And they are betting that fun isn't where they can make the most.

The Mustang was created as a secretary's car. Affordable, good looking and small. It was never a pricey, bloated family sedan.

I was looking at a car magazine this morning, and it occurred to me that the solution to some people's dislike of the 650 is pretty straightforward. It's right in front of us.

Buy a used Mustang.

Seriously. The 650 is a modern mass-produced car. This is what they're like and are going to be like. You don't want a modern Detroit car. You want a classic.

I mean, aren't the classics better? They're clearly what muscle cars "are meant to be."

We all know there are a billion Mustangs from all generations for sale and zillions of available parts* to restore and modify them. So people who want "heritage" in every detail are really in clover, right?

And the manufacturers can concentrate on staying in business by building cars that will satisfy younger buyers and the future market.

So, we're good now.

*These numbers are approximate.
No need to buy anything. At least for most of us there's no need. We all already own used Mustangs. My car budget will probably go to fun modifications or work on my 1970 Mustang convertible.

I currently have a subscription to Car and Driver. It was free with Amazon prime or something. I've been considering sending them a letter telling them to start writing more articles about used cars. If I were running the magazine I would do very brief notes on the new cars with the ratings and everything, and then all the significant articles would be about used cars. That would be a lot more interesting to read vs. skipping over about 99% of what is produced today.

I would even compare used to new. You could buy this used vehicle for $25k, or get this other new vehicle for $60k. The performance of the two vehicles is nearly identical - here are the graphs.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Disagree. If Ford can't stand behind a new nameplate for a newly developed vehicle, then don't build the damn thing. Using the Mustang as a brand is going to bite them in the ass. The Mach-E was given the Mustang badge to sell it, nothing more. Turns out, the Mach-E would have sold well if the damn thing was called a Gremlin. It's a fine vehicle that could sell on it's own without sullying the Mustang name.

I'm actually one of the few that can't wait to see a true Mustang EV. Having EV's that are not performance cars out on the road right now that can outperform a Mustang is tough to swallow. Putting the Mustang right next to them (for a lower cost) is exactly where the Mustang needs to go.
Very hard to say, as someone with a comms/advertising background, words can seldomly express how useful having a beloved and recognizable nameplate can be when trying to break into a highly competitive segment. Everyone is saying the mach-e would be just as competitive without the mustang name and design cues. But would it really? Would we be talking about it? Would news outlets talk about it as much? Truth is, there are plenty a good enough evs with solid range, affordable enough prices, and attractive enough design that never suceed. To stand out, you need that additional wow factor. Tapping into the mustang brand gave the mach-e that chance. Even if we don't like it, we can't deny it worked, considering the Mach-e is one of the best selling non-Tesla evs.

dfanucci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang Coupe
I think just about all of your posts have brought negativity, useless opinions, and false information to the conversation.
Lol! First, cry me a river. Second, what false information?

Ford did more than just slap the Mustang name on the Mach-E to help it sell. They used major key design features of the Mustang to make a very good looking vehicle which helps it sell and be as popular as it is.
Wrong. Taillights don't make it a Mustang.

It looks far better than any Tesla, Kia, Chevy and other non luxury brand (Porsche, Audi) EV’s in the market because of the Mustang styling. If they used these design features as they have and called it something else all you “enthusiasts” and “purists” would complain about the fact that it’s diluting the image of a Mustang and then how the next gen Mustang “looks like a two door Galaxy”. It was a brilliant idea for them to expand upon the amazing heritage of their flagship vehicle.
Good lord...

Nothing brillant about it, at all. It did exactly what it was meant to do. Sell it.

As mentioned earlier rather fantastically, how a an SUV vette?

Last edited:

dfanucci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang Coupe
Very hard to say, as someone with a comms/advertising background, words can seldomly express how useful having a beloved and recognizable nameplate can be when trying to break into a highly competitive segment. Everyone is saying the mach-e would be just as competitive without the mustang name and design cues. But would it really? Would we be talking about it? Would news outlets talk about it as much? Truth is, there are plenty a good enough evs with solid range, affordable enough prices, and attractive enough design that never suceed. To stand out, you need that additional wow factor. Tapping into the mustang brand gave the mach-e that chance. Even if we don't like it, we can't deny it worked, considering the Mach-e is one of the best selling non-Tesla evs.
There is no doubt that it worked, but in doing so, they've basically put themselves in a corner regarding a "Mustang". Meaning, when we talk Mustangs in the future, what are we talking about? Car, suv, truck, family sedan, performance, pony car...

Murfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2021 VW GTI
Lol! First, cry me a river. Second, what false information?

Wrong. Taillights don't make it a Mustang.

Good lord...

Nothing brillant about it, at all. It did exactly what it was meant to do. Sell it.

As mentioned earlier rather fantastically, how a an SUV vette?
LOL… you’re telling me the taillights are the only design element taken from the Mustang? 😂 Do you have eyes? Sorry but I just can’t take anything you say seriously anymore.

Reactions: DRB

dfanucci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang Coupe
LOL… you’re telling me the taillights are the only design element taken from the Mustang? 😂 Do you have eyes? Sorry but I just can’t take anything you say seriously anymore.
Good, then don't quote me, and run along. But just for fun, I'll break it down for you since sarcasm is not something you understand.

"Design elements" do not make an SUV a Mustang.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Good, then don't quote me, and run along. But just for fun, I'll break it down for you since sarcasm is not something you understand.

"Design elements" do not make an SUV a Mustang.
they really don’t. Nothing can make an SUV a mustang. Because a Mustang is a coupe.

ford wants to take a sports car and turn it into the new Mercury. No thanks.

perhaps they are looking to copy Hyundai, which used to sell a sporty car called the Genesis. Later, they killed the car and saved the nameplate to use on a whole new brand. Today, you can buy a Genesis SUV, car, etc.

So what’s the difference? The Genesis had not established itself. It had no real following, no heritage, legacy, or clear definition. It was just a sedan that was kinda sporty. So it didn’t matter to anyone when Hyundai burned it and used the ashes to create a new brand.

Now, some at Ford want to do this to the ultimate automotive icon. But somehow, at least for the time being, they have the actual amustang existing alongside the pretenders. You have the Mustang Mach E, the Mustang Mach E GT, the Mustang…Mustang, the Mustang Mustang GT, etc. it’s really rather stupid when you follow it through to its logical conclusion. The Mustang is the sports coup from Ford. It’s not it’s own brand, it’s not an umbrella for a “family” of vehicles like mercury, Lincoln, or Genesis. It’s not a make. It’s a model. A powerful 2+2 coupe built by Ford. And that’s all there is to it. You have in every generation some dweebs who feel the need to ignore logic, disrespect clear wisdom and proven concepts in order to get their pet “bigger than the universe!” idea pushed through. And usually it ends badly. It seemed fresh and avante-garde at first. But then the newness wears off and everyone realizes “nope it’s just stupid.” stupid gets old quick. And then the actual smart people get tasked with fixing it, retconning, etc. that’s what will happen here. Hopefully it’s not a long, dragged out withering, tortured process. Just kill it and get back to building a great business on sound principles and logic instead of “hey guys! Let’s just sprinkle Mustang words on everything.!”

In fact, those people who are encouraged by the word Mustang are the same people who are confused when they hear/see that word applied to something they don’t recognize aaa mustang. So even the idea of it being a safe marketing move based on name recognition is farcical. Those who are familiar with Mustang enough to be drawn in by the name are feeling bait snd switched. Not a recipe for long term success.

lit the mustang must go ev, fine. Then make it the Mustang ev. A 2+2 coupe that looks rad, is small, has gobsof power, handles like a dream, and compel you to buy it. The formula really isn’t any different than ICE vehicles. Just because it eats lighting instead of fossil fuel doesn’t mean you have to get rid of everything. If anything, it’s time to double down on its strengths. Sure more people will buy SUVs. The mustang never outsold the f150. It doesn’t have to. It’s not meant to be a sales monster. It’s meant to be Fords halo so let it shine. Wipe off the Mach e rap, give the macheits own branding, and make The mustangthe best sports car it can be for its category.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I work at a smaller company with less than 100 people. So everyone there knows I'm a Mustang guy. Everyone who has talked to me about the Mach E felt like the Mustang name was a negative. They didn't like that Ford named a 4 door SUV Mustang.

I feel that the name definitely created a ton more buzz and discussion of the vehicle, but I think some people will avoid buying because of the offensive name. So I kind of think the Mach E name is a double-edged sword in that way. Possibly over time as the good reputation of the Mustang dies away the negative effects of the name will also fade.

dfanucci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang Coupe
There’s so much I want to say, but it’s just not worth my time.
Because nothing you say will make an SUV a Mustang, and can't swallow that fact. It eats at you to know that you can't change someone's opinion on that fact. Welcome to the new world we live in where nobody is allowed to have a differing opinion without man-childs like you throwing fits.

Whether you like it or not, differing opinions are gonna happen. Deal with it, or find a rock to climb under.