• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dark Horse Handling Pack - With or without and why?

Handling Pack - With or Without?

• With

• Without

Results are only viewable after voting.

RebelMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Bullitt
Why did you decide, or not decide, to go with the handling pack?

I went without. I don't plan to track it (maybe on rare occasions) and suspect it would have better road manners and suppler ride as a daily driver and road tripper.

EDIT: The poll numbers might be a little skewed. I posted this thread in the Dark Horse sub forum, but I did not title this thread that way. Some non-Dark Horse owners may not have caught that which could have inflated the numbers for With. Unless they chime in to clarify, the early poll numbers (before I added Dark Horse to the thread tittle) maybe slightly off.
Sponsored

Last edited:

GoldenHand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
I only speak for myself:

I'm 28, shopping for a GT that will be my DD and also act as a track day car (2-3 times a year) without doing much of any additional modifications so I opted for Handling Package. My track day aspirations are now fading. If that's the case and later decide I no longer want to track the car, then I wouldn't buy a DH w/o Handling Package. It's too close to a normal GT to justify the increase in price, and I would rather buy something else with that kind of money at that point. Something with better tech and still fun to drive. I love the Dark Horse w/ Handling Package because it's all the car you'll ever need out the box that has a manual V8.

Ford marketed this as "the most track-capable car ever made by Mustang" and doesn't earn that moniker w/o Handling Package (Mach 1 Handling Package > Dark Horse w/o Handling Package). They should have made the Handling Package standard on the DH and made a PP2 for the GT that can act as a DH w/o HP. I'm sure others will argue about this, as well as Ford's marketing department, but this is my opinion.

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
I'm 77 and this will most likely be my last new car. I decided on the entire "package" less the stripes, fancy paint, and Recaro seats. I figured better to have the performance stuff than not. I will not be dragging or tracking. Just having fun.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
I want the PP due to the Torsen out back and the large Brembos. That alone almost pays for it.

OP
OP
RebelMan

RebelMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Bullitt
Ford marketed this as "the most track-capable car ever made by Mustang" and doesn't earn that moniker w/o Handling Package (Mach 1 Handling Package > Dark Horse w/o Handling Package). They should have made the Handling Package standard on the DH and made a PP2 for the GT that can act as a DH w/o HP. I'm sure others will argue about this, as well as Ford's marketing department, but this is my opinion.
Your feedback is appreciated.

As for the order of things, Ford dropped the GT PP2 when the MACH1 debuted making it the successor. The Dark Horse w/o HP is equivalent to the MACH1 and the MACH1 is roughly equivalent to what would have been the GT PP2 if it still existed. What you have then is this...

DH w/HP > DH wo/HP ~= MACH1 ~= GT PP2 > GT PP1 > GT

Last edited:

Ryunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 convertible, 1971 Mach1
There is no reason or logic in my mind to do the HP, the DH in general is natively a performance car as built. Tires are already a fortune let alone the HP tires.

BreadBurner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your feedback is appreciated.

As for the order of things, Ford dropped the GT PP2 when the MACH1 debuted making it the successor. The Dark Horse w/o HP is equivalent to the MACH1 and the MACH1 is roughly equivalent to what would have been the GT PP2 if it still existed. What you have then is this...

DH w/HP > DH wo/HP = MACH1 ~= GT PP2 > GT PP1 > GT
where would the Mach1 w/HP fall into this equation/ >than DH wo/HP or =to DH wo/HP

OP
OP
RebelMan

RebelMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Bullitt
where would the Mach1 w/HP fall into this equation/ >than DH wo/HP or =to DH wo/HP
The MACH1 w/HP is more akin to the DH w/HP. So, what you would have is something like this...

DH w/HP ~= MACH1 w/HP > DH wo/HP ~= MACH1 ~= GT PP2 > GT PP1 > GT

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1; AT; M0960
I made a similar decision to skip the HP on the Mach 1 as I would hit that lower splitter quite frequently-I also didn't want Cup 2s and when I bought my Mach 1 the PS4s in that size was hard to get at the time. One thing I do wish had been an option on the Mach 1 and Dark Horse would be to get the wider tires with PS4s (or equivalent in the DH) on the non HP. That wider tire in the less sticky tire would have addressed shortfalls on both the HP and non-HP for daily/occasional track users.

MJS54

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 Corvette Cpe, '18 Lexus ES 350, '23 Bronco Spt
There is no reason or logic in my mind to do the HP, the DH in general is natively a performance car as built. Tires are already a fortune let alone the HP tires.
I agree...didn't want to have to replace those expensive and not long-lasting Trofeo RS tires.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
If I were to buy a Dark Horse- it would be with handling pack because well .....

I just did a 1000 mile road trip on Cup 2s though so I might be a bit crazy lol

Cirnek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 Ecoboost, 2018 Explorer Sport,
Short answer for me, I plan of tracking my Dark Horse. 1st Autocross is on March 2nd. I also plan on a few track days etc but I have yet to schedule those.

Lastoutlaw_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia stinger and hyundai tucson hybrid
If I were to buy a Dark Horse- it would be with handling pack because well .....

I just did a 1000 mile road trip on Cup 2s though so I might be a bit crazy lol
Lol nah I have almost 4k on those tires and still have life left. People act like you can't get different tires for the car.

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT
Just wanted it in the most aggressive handling trim possible. I prefer suspension & handling over power. Well, once power get's to a certain point, more doesn't help my driving ability but handling is fun on and off track.
Sponsored