• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

CTS-V to Mustang GT

PilotJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V
Hi all- I bought a new CTS-V manual transmission in 2004. For 19 years and 120k miles it has served as my daily driver. It’s been nothing but oil changes and tire swaps (and I like it’s driving dynamics), so I just kept on going. But it’s time. Last week I ordered a 2024 Mustang GT. Would love to hear from folks with experience in both cars that can compare and contrast. Also curious about the exhaust tone and volume of the factory standard passive duel tip exhaust. Philosophically I default to simpler systems, so the the standard passive system appeals, but I want to make sure it will still sound like a Mustang.

My order:
Mustang GT Premium Fastback
Grabber Blue
Nite Pony
401A
Performance Package

Intended for fun, spirited, daily driving. Thanks all!
Sponsored

OP
OP

PilotJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V
Yes. I ordered manual transmission.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Welcome @PilotJ and congrats on your new S650. Unfortunately none of us can tell you about the S650 since production hasn't started yet. Comparisons could be made against the S550 so hopefully someone can help you there.

The standard exhaust for the GT was improved in 2018. Since then the stock system sound pretty good. But the Active Exhaust is worth every penny. Even more so in the S650 as it gets you the quad tips us S550 owners have had for years. Unless you plan on an aftermarket exhaust you may want to reconsider AE.

Also I have to ask why did you spec the Performance Package without MagneRide for a daily driver. Most of what you get on the PP will be lost on a DD and having staggered tires and even be considered a downside.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
toss the performance pack and get the Steeda H-pipe for your stock exhaust (200 vs 1200). If you just gotta have the 6-pot brakes for some reason you can get them for less than $1200. The PP is a HORRIBLE deal ever since 2020.

Grabber_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
toss the performance pack and get the Steeda H-pipe for your stock exhaust (200 vs 1200). If you just gotta have the 6-pot brakes for some reason you can get them for less than $1200. The PP is a HORRIBLE deal ever since 2020.
Say what? You are out of your mind....

The Performance Pack is a GREAT deal. For $4995 you get a bunch of stuff:

• 19" wheel Brembo™ brake system with 6-piston black painted front brake calipers with white logo and larger rotors with performance linings
  • 19" x 9" front and 19" x 9.5" rear Carbonized Gray-painted aluminum wheels
  • 255/40Rl9 front and 275/40Rl9 rear summer-only compound performance tires
  • Black-painted strut-tower brace
  • Electric hand-operated parking brake (drift brake)
  • Front tow hook access
  • Grille - painted Ebony Black
  • GT Performance Package-specific AdvanceTrac and ABS calibration
  • GT Performance Package-specific chassis tuning
  • GT Performance Package-specific EPAS calibration
  • Heavy-duty front springs
  • K-brace
  • Larger radiator
  • Larger rear stabilizer bar
  • Performance rear wing - painted body color (Fastback)
  • Torsen helical differential limited-slip rear axle (3.55:1 for automatic transmission)

Last edited:

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
i just want to know where they're getting their brakes for $1200 when a decent set of Wilwood/Baer/Brembo 6 pistons are about 4-5k in parts alone

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
where they're getting their brakes for $1200
Do you people not look? Levittown has a kit, so does Steeda. You can get the parts from Rockauto and barely used pairings from ebay thanks to the Shelby Store.

You can get a square set of summer tires for 1000 to 1400.

OP
OP

PilotJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V
Thanks for responses. Much appreciated. The goal is nice handling, good exhaust note, and simple systems when and where possible. It will be a dd, but I still like a tight ride with limited float and flat in the corners. Variability is low on my priority list.

I debated the PP, Magnaride, and Active Exhaust. My logic (maybe faulty) was the PP will improve handling and the 3.73 gearing will provide a little more low end pull. Fun stuff even for a dd. I skipped the magnaride and active exhaust to keep systems simple. Thinking (hoping) the PP and standard passive exhaust will give me descent handling and exhaust note without extra complexity.

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for responses. Much appreciated. The goal is nice handling, good exhaust note, and simple systems when and where possible. It will be a dd, but I still like a tight ride with limited float and flat in the corners. Variability is low on my priority list.

I debated the PP, Magnaride, and Active Exhaust. My logic (maybe faulty) was the PP will improve handling and the 3.73 gearing will provide a little more low end pull. Fun stuff even for a dd. I skipped the magnaride and active exhaust to keep systems simple. Thinking (hoping) the PP and standard passive exhaust will give me descent handling and exhaust note without extra complexity.
yeah if you want to keep it simple thats a good route. ultimately THE BEST way to improve your vehicles handling is a wider, higher quality tire. End of the day, theyre the cars only point of contact with the ground, PP gives you a decent set with wider wheels. Exhaust wise, its an American 5.0L V8, passive or active, its going to sound like a mustang. As for the suspension, its a trade, amazing handling suspension means a stiffer ride, daily drive quality will suffer, Magneride works to achieve a balance between the two, and does pretty good at it, but adds complexity so thats the tradeoff for you.

so i think the best balance for what you want would be PP/standard exhaust/standard suspension

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
amazing handling suspension means a stiffer ride, daily drive quality will suffer
Rubbish.

The pp suspension if anything like s550 is garbage. You want the Ford performance Race package or Steeda or Bilstein dampers for something half way decent that's also small coin.

Remember people this is not in the slightest a "new" car it's just the s550 with different sheet metal. We have zero indication Ford did anything to fix all the chassis and suspension warts and therefore must assume they carry over.

OP
OP

PilotJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V
yeah if you want to keep it simple thats a good route. ultimately THE BEST way to improve your vehicles handling is a wider, higher quality tire. End of the day, theyre the cars only point of contact with the ground, PP gives you a decent set with wider wheels. Exhaust wise, its an American 5.0L V8, passive or active, its going to sound like a mustang. As for the suspension, its a trade, amazing handling suspension means a stiffer ride, daily drive quality will suffer, Magneride works to achieve a balance between the two, and does pretty good at it, but adds complexity so thats the tradeoff for you.

so i think the best balance for what you want would be PP/standard exhaust/standard suspension
Thanks agreywolfe. That is what I wanted to confirm: PP will have improved handling. Passive will still sound like a Mustang. Skipping magna and active will limit comfort and adjustability but keep things simple.

Good on Ford for still producing a manual n/a v8.

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubbish.

The pp suspension if anything like s550 is garbage. You want the Ford performance Race package or Steeda or Bilstein dampers for something half way decent that's also small coin.

Remember people this is not in the slightest a "new" car it's just the s550 with different sheet metal. We have zero indication Ford did anything to fix all the chassis and suspension warts and therefore must assume they carry over.
please take more than 5 seconds to think before replying, i said "amazing handling suspension" i did NOT say "pp suspension". you can call it rubbish, it just makes you wrong, just try and take stiff track spec suspension thats designed to maximize handling characteristics of the car on a bumpy mountain road and tell me how fun that is to drive every day for 3-4 years.