• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Car jerks during start

Mustang6924

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mustang Coupe GT, 2024 Mustang GT Premium
I'm guessing that this isn't normal but just wanted to make sure. So I have a a10 GT, sometimes whenever I remote start the car, it jerks forward slightly. It doesn't happen all the time which makes it hard to repeat to see why it happens. So far it has happened to me 3 times, one time it was in my garage when I started it and it jerked forward, stopping just shy of my wall. Since then I started putting the e-brake on and it hasn't happened after that. But it is still very concerning that it can happen again, if I forget to put on the e-brake. Has anybody experienced something similar?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I'm guessing that this isn't normal but just wanted to make sure. So I have a a10 GT, sometimes whenever I start the car, it jerks forward slightly. It doesn't happen all the time which makes it hard to repeat to see why it happens. So far it has happened to me 3 times, one time it was in my garage when I started it and it jerked forward, stopping just shy of my wall. Since then I started putting the e-brake on and it hasn't happened after that. But it is still very concerning that it can happen again, if I forget to put on the e-brake. Has anybody experienced something similar?
Surely you need your foot on the brake to start it anyway?

Reactions: Zig

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I'm guessing that this isn't normal but just wanted to make sure. So I have a a10 GT, sometimes whenever I start the car, it jerks forward slightly. It doesn't happen all the time which makes it hard to repeat to see why it happens. So far it has happened to me 3 times, one time it was in my garage when I started it and it jerked forward, stopping just shy of my wall. Since then I started putting the e-brake on and it hasn't happened after that. But it is still very concerning that it can happen again, if I forget to put on the e-brake. Has anybody experienced something similar?
Just checking: do you always place it in park before stopping the engine?

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
I've heard of the clucky jerk feeling when putting the car in either drive or reverse on the automatic cars, but from how you are describing - I have never heard of the automatic jerking at engine startup. 😲

OP
OP

Mustang6924

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Surely you need your foot on the brake to start it anyway?
Oh yeah, sorry I forgot to mention that this happens when remote starting the car.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
That isn't good and I suggest you stop the remote start until the car is looked at. When the car is in park, a pin in the transmission drops into place locking the drive shaft for safety reasons. It will not stop the car while the car is moving but it prevents the car from moving when stopped. There is either an adjustment not set correctly or a problem in the transmission. It is dangerous so don't remote start and make sure the brake is on when you start the car from inside.

Remisnism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
I experienced the same thing with the E-brake on while starting the vehicle. Foot on the brake and started the vehicle and felt a jerk forward when starting the vehicle. This only occurred once. I put my e-brake on prior to shifting the car to park and then shut off the engine. I have it at the dealership today to be checked for this issue along with body fender fit (A TSB exists) and for the wireless phone pad overheating my phone even with the phone off and not charging.

OP
OP

Mustang6924

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I experienced the same thing with the E-brake on while starting the vehicle. Foot on the brake and started the vehicle and felt a jerk forward when starting the vehicle. This only occurred once. I put my e-brake on prior to shifting the car to park and then shut off the engine. I have it at the dealership today to be checked for this issue along with body fender fit (A TSB exists) and for the wireless phone pad overheating my phone even with the phone off and not charging.
Can you please post an update after your appointment? I'm taking my car in next week but it'll be nice to know what your dealership is saying.

Remisnism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you please post an update after your appointment? I'm taking my car in next week but it'll be nice to know what your dealership is saying.
Yes. I'll add an update once I hear back from my dealership.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.  

Remisnism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.  
I picked up my vehicle from the dealership late afternoon yesterday (11/09/2023). They performed testing and added 0.25 quarts of transmission fluid, but were unable to replicate the issue. I've been tasked with taking details the next time this occurs. I started a new 'Conversation' through this platform with Ford, but I'm not sure if that is a private message. Your social media rep has asked me to send them personal information which I will not do until they confirm that the message is private. I've asked that twice so far without getting a direct response to my inquiry. I want to comply, so please help me help you!

Remisnism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes. I'll add an update once I hear back from my dealership.
I picked up my vehicle late afternoon yesterday (11/9/2023). The dealership performed multiple diagnostic tests of various modules and also measured the transmission fluid. It was low by 0.25 quarts, but stated that wouldn't be the cause of the issue I encountered. At this point it is on me to document if/when this occurs again all of the details around the driving conditions and steps that occurred leading up to the event. They believe the wireless phone charging overheating the phone is just the technology and not heat shielding. I did let them know that it occurred with the phone off, upside down (glass side down) with a phone case on so it was slightly elevated and the phone was still hot even though it was not charging. That leads me to think it is inadequate heat shielding. At this point I won't use the wireless charging until an aftermarket one is available. I believe someone else stated the problem occurs with the Broncos and they found an after market one that corrected their issue.
Please let me know if your dealership finds anything.

TXGT29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium
So I didn't want to start another thread. I've noticed a few times this "jerk" or "lunge" feeling during start. Interestingly, I've experienced it both manual starting in the car with foot on brake and E-brake engaged, and just now today experienced it with remote start. I was walking to the car in the parking lot and did remote start, and heard a "clunk" noise. I stopped the engine, waited a couple minutes, then started it again remotely standing next to the car, and did the same thing.

I checked the TSB thread to see if there was anything with regards to this topic, but didn't see anything directly related (apologies if I missed it).

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this, and has been to dealer and gotten any feedback? My concern, like noted above, is that they won't replicate the issue while they have it at the dealership and it's a waste of time to take and leave my car there.

Thanks

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
So I didn't want to start another thread. I've noticed a few times this "jerk" or "lunge" feeling during start. Interestingly, I've experienced it both manual starting in the car with foot on brake and E-brake engaged, and just now today experienced it with remote start. I was walking to the car in the parking lot and did remote start, and heard a "clunk" noise. I stopped the engine, waited a couple minutes, then started it again remotely standing next to the car, and did the same thing.

I checked the TSB thread to see if there was anything with regards to this topic, but didn't see anything directly related (apologies if I missed it).

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this, and has been to dealer and gotten any feedback? My concern, like noted above, is that they won't replicate the issue while they have it at the dealership and it's a waste of time to take and leave my car there.

Thanks
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

IntoTheFold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I've put almost 4,000 miles on my A10 '24 GT since I got it almost four weeks ago. Been driving the thing in-town, canyon roads, back roads, highway. I experienced this sudden jerk upon start only once. It was morning, my engine was not completely warmed up, but not cold. Was trying to leave a dentist's parking lot. Foot on the brake, sudden jerk forward when starting. Startled me a bit.
Sponsored