• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Anyone else having an issue programing their built in garage door opener?

Sofa King

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost, Vapor Blue, HPP
I haven't taken delivery yet, but on my '15 Impala I couldn't get the garage door opener to work. Seven years later, I had a garage door tech offer to program it. Tried and failed with the button labeled #1, but magically worked with the second of the three available buttons.

I understand that's a different make, but give it a shot and see if that helps?
I had to do that in my cadillac to get it to work (button 2) after messing around with it for quite a while.
Sponsored

Tafische

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
red button door? Are you talking about the program button on my overhead motor ?
Yes. There are Red, yellow, purple, green, etc buttons on the main unit. Those indicate the frequency and technology used (Security+ etc). Red is very common and what I used to have at my last house. Had no issues with the programming of the buttons.

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep grand Cherokee, 2006 rubicon
I've been messing with this thing longer than I care to admit and it's the first time I have had this type of opener. The only thing I noticed is that the manual says if you want to clear the codes to press the two outer buttons for 10 seconds but that seems to be more like 20 seconds so I'm wondering if the instructions are messed up in other ways. I tried programming it to both the opener and the transmitter and couldn't get either method to work. I just have a generic Craftsman. I would prefer to program it to the actual overhead motor but I would settle for either method at this point. The closest I could get was trying the transmitter method under "Programming the Garage Door Opener to Your Handheld Transmitter". I could complete step 4 but step 5 never did anything. Maybe my stuff is too old and incompatible or something.

1693676710244.png

1693676743710.png

1693676791125.png

1693676825832.png

1693676852241.png

1693676884680.png
Husband had ours done in like 2-3 minutes

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I've been messing with this thing longer than I care to admit …

Maybe my stuff is too old and incompatible or something.
By chance, did you get it working? Just did ours, can’t say it’s as old as yours but if you wanna give it a shot this is what we did.

held the visor button for a good 30 seconds and released.

Holding the garage door opener next to the button on the visor I held the button on the opener down (not the visor button the garage door opener remote button) and the visor button began to flash.

continue holding garage door opener remote button depressed until visor light stops flashing.

press visor button once (does nothing - maybe stop save mode?).

press visor button a second time and the garage door/gate should respond.

if it works a single press should be all it takes once in range.

Wizzard77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Convertible GT Premium 401A 50th ann package
I've been messing with this thing longer than I care to admit and it's the first time I have had this type of opener. The only thing I noticed is that the manual says if you want to clear the codes to press the two outer buttons for 10 seconds but that seems to be more like 20 seconds so I'm wondering if the instructions are messed up in other ways. I tried programming it to both the opener and the transmitter and couldn't get either method to work. I just have a generic Craftsman. I would prefer to program it to the actual overhead motor but I would settle for either method at this point. The closest I could get was trying the transmitter method under "Programming the Garage Door Opener to Your Handheld Transmitter". I could complete step 4 but step 5 never did anything. Maybe my stuff is too old and incompatible or something.

1693676710244.png
Anyone that has issues programming the HomeLink garage door opener (All Fords are HomeLink) go to the HomeLink website. HomeLink.com It has the specific instructions for your vehicle written by the manufacturer of HomeLink (HomeLink is a common product for all OEMs).

Almost all garage door openers will be compatible, even those that still have the dip switches.

You do need to have a working transmitter for your garage door, the HomeLink in your car learns your garage door by "listening" to your transmitter and then copies it.

Kkoehster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 M7G vert, 2020 ExplorerST

1693676710244.png

1693676743710.png

1693676791125.png

1693676825832.png

1693676852241.png

1693676884680.png
Not sure if you resolved this, but with my older opener (was installed in house in 2004) I programmed the visor to the transmitter then I had to program or sync the visor with the opener like it was a replacement transmitter.
Wish you luck.

Japeatr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang DH; '13 F-150; '20 Exped; '05 CobaltSS
i have been able to program the garage on all our fords, no problem, however we have a sliding gate that encloses our driveway, and I cant seem to get it to program it to anything other than the remotes. None of my fords would read the remote for some reason.

friscoaggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Rogue, Cruze, '54 F-100, 24 Mustang DH
I was unable to get the garage door to learn what the visor was transmitting. I had to dig up an old remote, “learn” that to the garage door, then have the visor clone/learn that opener. Now works fine. Probably operator error.

JINX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang eco boost premium convertible

1693676710244.png

1693676743710.png

1693676791125.png

1693676825832.png

1693676852241.png

1693676884680.png
Mine is a Genie and I always have an issue, however my '24 eco boost convertible wasn't bad. I've never had the homelike in the visor before and the first thing I noticed was the range is drastically reduced from those in the overhead console. I need to be within 15 feet of the garage where as most in the past were approximately 50 feet. Anyone have a similar take?
JINX

jeffnudi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost Prem. Conv., 2022 Mav Hy XLT

1693676710244.png

1693676743710.png

1693676791125.png

1693676825832.png

1693676852241.png

1693676884680.png
I had a frustrating experience getting the Homelink to work in my 2018 Mustang and 2022 Maverick, although after several tries with each it eventually worked. With my 2024 Mustang I went through the steps in the manual and it worked the first time.

jeffnudi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost Prem. Conv., 2022 Mav Hy XLT
Mine is a Genie and I always have an issue, however my '24 eco boost convertible wasn't bad. I've never had the homelike in the visor before and the first thing I noticed was the range is drastically reduced from those in the overhead console. I need to be within 15 feet of the garage where as most in the past were approximately 50 feet. Anyone have a similar take?
JINX
The Homelink opener in my 2024 Mustang Convertible works from a few hundred feet away.
Sponsored