• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Anyone else having an issue programing their built in garage door opener?

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Mustang GT Vert , 2024 Mustang GT Vert
I've been messing with this thing longer than I care to admit and it's the first time I have had this type of opener. The only thing I noticed is that the manual says if you want to clear the codes to press the two outer buttons for 10 seconds but that seems to be more like 20 seconds so I'm wondering if the instructions are messed up in other ways. I tried programming it to both the opener and the transmitter and couldn't get either method to work. I just have a generic Craftsman. I would prefer to program it to the actual overhead motor but I would settle for either method at this point. The closest I could get was trying the transmitter method under "Programming the Garage Door Opener to Your Handheld Transmitter". I could complete step 4 but step 5 never did anything. Maybe my stuff is too old and incompatible or something.

S650 Mustang Anyone else having an issue programing their built in garage door opener? 1693676710244

S650 Mustang Anyone else having an issue programing their built in garage door opener? 1693676743710

S650 Mustang Anyone else having an issue programing their built in garage door opener? 1693676791125

S650 Mustang Anyone else having an issue programing their built in garage door opener? 1693676825832

S650 Mustang Anyone else having an issue programing their built in garage door opener? 1693676852241

S650 Mustang Anyone else having an issue programing their built in garage door opener? 1693676884680
Sponsored

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Get the instructions for your opener which you probably can find on the internet. See if the process for programming and additional remote is the same. Older remotes had dip switches that you would set with a unique code but you couldn't select very many numbers - normally about 256 with 8 switches. If this is your system, it probably is not compatible.
Newer remotes have the code manufactured inside them and are unique to each remote. Any of these should be compatible.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
First, does the handheld transmitter still work? Wouldnā€™t want to have messed that up trying to sync directly.

By chance have you tried skipping the ā€˜clearingā€™ steps and start at ā€˜reprogramming the garage openerā€™

edit: yeah if you canā€™t get past step 5 itā€™s on to trying programming directly to the ā€˜opener motorā€™. Iā€™ve not had much success when having to use that method and have ended up resorting to keeping the opener with me (in one of my other vehicles)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ThreePedalPlow

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First, does the handheld transmitter still work? Wouldnā€™t want to have messed that up trying to sync directly.

By chance have you tried skipping the ā€˜clearingā€™ steps and start at ā€˜reprogramming the garage openerā€™

edit: yeah if you canā€™t get past step 5 itā€™s on to trying programming directly to the ā€˜opener motorā€™. Iā€™ve not had much success when having to use that method and have ended up resorting to keeping the opener with me (in one of my other vehicles)
Yea, the hand transmitter still works great. Bought it a couple years ago and it was able to work on my old opener. The opener itself is over 13 years old as I bought this place 13 years ago and I've never replaced it. It has a keypad for the outside and everything still works great so I don't really want to replace the overhead unit just to make this thing work. I might just buy another remote to keep in the Mustang but that's going to annoy me knowing it should be built into the visor. I noticed the Craftsman transmitter has a small program button on the backside you would press in with the tip of a pen but the directions in the Mustang manual don't mention anything about using that type of button and I don't use it when I'm programming the Craftman transmitter to the opener either.

S650 Mustang Anyone else having an issue programing their built in garage door opener? 1693719444532

antzman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I tried for an hour to program mine and never could get it to work. At one point I erased everything off of my garage door opener by holding its button too long. I had to reprogram all of my openers and keypad after that. Thankfully I had an extra handheld opener to clip on my visor, but Iā€™d much rather use the home link buttons

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Iā€™ve had luck with the holding the transmitter close to the home link buttons and linking that way.

OP
OP
ThreePedalPlow

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™ve had luck with the holding the transmitter close to the home link buttons and linking that way.
Yea, that is what I was doing. The directions indicate to hold it 1 to 3 inches away I believe. What kind of overhead system do you have? Is it old? Did you replace the batteries in the transmitter before trying to program home link? The directions suggested doing this with fresh batteries but I haven't tried that yet. Seems kind of pointless when it's still functioning from far away.

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Itā€™s not a new system. At least 12 years old. Didnā€™t touch the batteries. Just followed the directions. Just did it 2 months ago for my wifeā€™s expedition

OP
OP
ThreePedalPlow

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Itā€™s not a new system. At least 12 years old. Didnā€™t touch the batteries. Just followed the directions. Just did it 2 months ago for my wifeā€™s expedition
I see. Is it Craftsman or do you have a different brand ?

Decio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
I haven't taken delivery yet, but on my '15 Impala I couldn't get the garage door opener to work. Seven years later, I had a garage door tech offer to program it. Tried and failed with the button labeled #1, but magically worked with the second of the three available buttons.

I understand that's a different make, but give it a shot and see if that helps?

OP
OP
ThreePedalPlow

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't taken delivery yet, but on my '15 Impala I couldn't get the garage door opener to work. Seven years later, I had a garage door tech offer to program it. Tried and failed with the button labeled #1, but magically worked with the second of the three available buttons.

Are you talking about the 2nd of the 3 buttons on the home link built into the visor or the 2nd of the 3 buttons on the standard transmitter that comes with the garage opener or both possibly?

Decio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
Buttons 2 and 3 on the car itself. I was up on a ladder hitting reset and running like a madman. The tech showed me how the car just captures the signal from an existing remote - no ladder needed.

Literally try the programming sequence again with button 2 and/or button 3 on the car. Try one with clearing codes first and try the other one by diving into programming. I hope it works! I hate leaving a transmitter in a convertible - I always took it with me or locked it in the trunk in my S197.

OP
OP
ThreePedalPlow

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Yea, I will try that out today or tomorrow hopefully. What brand of overhead opener / motor do you have and is it old? I just had a dash cam delivered today so I'll be messing with that as well. It was cool Ford put a USB in the rearview mirror for power so I won't have to run power hopefully but it was hard to find a good dash cam that uses regular USB instead of USB-C.

Tafische

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
I have had this similar system on a few cars. It can be a little finicky. It should work on the Craftsman red button door with no problem. I usually press the original remote several times in a row for a couple of seconds each time to get it to recognize the codes.

OP
OP
ThreePedalPlow

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have had this similar system on a few cars. It can be a little finicky. It should work on the Craftsman red button door with no problem. I usually press the original remote several times in a row for a couple of seconds each time to get it to recognize the codes.
red button door? Are you talking about the program button on my overhead motor ?
Sponsored