• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Adding Active Valve Performance Exhaust to a non-AE is feasible? maybe yes

Diodict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT conv
Hi all

I plan to add active exhaust on my non-ae model. I will post all my steps as much as I can do here. Hopefully it could be helpful for someone considers getting Active exhaust
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diodict

Diodict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT conv
I am working on how to retrofit AE. I will keep updating here.

What I've found so far follow:

Parts for wiring
JR3Z-14A411-J wiring harness (Y harness)
JR3Z-14A411-H 2*wiring harnesses (from Y to actuator)
JR3Z-6554-A 2*Exhaust Valve Actuator Supersessions: JR3Z 5K245B; JR3Z-5K245-B; JR3Z5K245B; JR3Z6554A

Seems S650 24+ models have different parts# for them and not 100% sure if they can be compatible.

Parts for Active exhaust

Borla (Ford Performance)
M-5230-M5EC M-5230-M5EB
M-5230-M5ECVA M-5230-M5EBVA
M-5230-M5SCVA M-5230-M5SBVA Sport loudness
M-5200-M5ECVA M-5200-M5EBVA cat-back full package

Flowmaster
Outlaw Axle-back Exhaust Kit With Active Exhaust818159/818164. Compatible for 2024

Roush
compatible for 2024. check the year

Use Forscan to change follow:

Instrument Panel Control (IPC)
720-06-01 xxxx xxxx x*--
Selectable Drive Mode (SDM) ā€¢ Dual Exhausts (DE) ā€¢ Exhaust Mode Button (EMB) ā€¢ Eco Mode RTT (EMRTT) (EMB=Exhaust mode selection in the centerstack)

720-10-01 *xxx xxxx xx--
Transmission Temperature Curve (TTC) ā€¢ Tunable Exhausts (TE) ā€¢ Cross Traffic Message (CTM)

Accessory Protocol Interface Module(APIM) (SYNC)

7D0-09-03 xxxx xxx* xx--
Drive Control Menu (DCM) ā€¢ Trailer Brake Controller (TBC) ā€¢ Tunable Exhausts (TE) ā€¢ Engine Rev Match (ERM)
7D0-09-05 xxxx x*xx xx--
FoE Seatbelt Warning Strategy (FESWS) ā€¢ Quiet Time Exhaust Mode (QTEM) ā€¢ Clear Exit Assist (CEA)
727-01-03 xxxx xxxx x*-- Audio Control Module(ACM)
Auto Tow Haul Signal (ATHS) ā€¢ Active Exhaust Signal (AES)

NOTE. Only try at your own risk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diodict

Diodict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT conv
Seem all non-active models have a connector for the evap system and active exhaust. Just non-ae model got a different harness that only connects to the evap. See the attached for details.

Theoretically, we can get the factory active exhaust features(I don't know how to add remote rev to EB model since mine is GT) if you connect some wiring harnesses, actuators and active exhaust system and re-program to add an active exhaust.

So, for S650 7g Mustang, you will need follow:

PR3Z-14A411-A *2 (2024) the actuator wire qty 2

PR3Z-14A411-C *1 (2024) the wiring harness that connects to the actuator wires and the evap system

PR3Z-5K245-B *2 (2024) Exhaust actuator qty2

(Thanks to roket for providing the source)

and

Active Exhaust weather cat-back or axle-back

I believe re-programming via Forscan does not void the warranty since it's not mapping. It's just changes of some codes to another code Ford manufacturer provides.

S650 Mustang Adding Active Valve Performance Exhaust to a non-AE is feasible? maybe yes EVAP and Active exhaust

Fruitstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
You know for sure engine mapping is not different for AE vs non AE?

OP
OP
Diodict

Diodict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT conv
You know for sure engine mapping is not different for AE vs non AE?
I am not 100% sure about PCM mapping between AE and nonAE but if they are different, they would get different codes on PCM tab Forscan. However, I don't see any specific codes for AE on Forscan.

OP
OP
Diodict

Diodict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT conv
Definitely interested in this. Keep the posts coming and thanks for sharing.
Good news

I reprogrammed my non AE Mustang to retrofit the AE without an actuator and its harness. It seems it has been added. Please see the attached pics. Only thing it's not been added is mode select tap on custom profile. I can't find which address is related to the custom mode. Since mine doesn't have active exhaust and its actuator comb yet, of course the button doesn't work. I ordered all the parts I need but it will take some time to be delivered because I am in Canada that makes me hard to get any parts and the parts are on backorder.

S650 Mustang Adding Active Valve Performance Exhaust to a non-AE is feasible? maybe yes IMG_1643.JPG

S650 Mustang Adding Active Valve Performance Exhaust to a non-AE is feasible? maybe yes IMG_1644.JPG

S650 Mustang Adding Active Valve Performance Exhaust to a non-AE is feasible? maybe yes IMG_1647.JPG

S650 Mustang Adding Active Valve Performance Exhaust to a non-AE is feasible? maybe yes IMG_1648.JPG

S650 Mustang Adding Active Valve Performance Exhaust to a non-AE is feasible? maybe yes IMG_1649.JPG

S650 Mustang Adding Active Valve Performance Exhaust to a non-AE is feasible? maybe yes IMG_1645.JPG

Last edited:

allenquanobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
@Diodict that's awesome! How much were all the parts? And was the installation hard? Wondering if you could put together a step by step guide for the not as skilled folks like me :D
great job btw

OP
OP
Diodict

Diodict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT conv
@Diodict that's awesome! How much were all the parts? And was the installation hard? Wondering if you could put together a step by step guide for the not as skilled folks like me :D
great job btw
I just edited the post. I am still waiting for the parts come to my place. Once the project gets done, I will try to organize the steps and post it here. I don't think it's hard to install all of them but it's pricy. You have to spend more money then having 'Ford active valve exhaust'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost conv.
So just to be clear. You change the Forscan codes but have not yet done any installation...wiring or otherwise right? It is not complaining about no feedback or anything?

OP
OP
Diodict

Diodict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT conv
So just to be clear. You change the Forscan codes but have not yet done any installation...wiring or otherwise right? It is not complaining about no feedback or anything?
No itā€™s not. I was actually going to back program if it would warn me. I donā€™t have to worry about it anymore though. When I press the button on my Mustang, a window pops up and it says ā€˜itā€™s not available now. Try laterā€™. I am pretty sure it will work once I install a full active exhaust system. We will see

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost conv.
Dont know if this is relevant but on that large thread in the 6g forum...it was discussed that starting in 2019 or 20 you could not just use ForScan...you had to update parameters in a PCM tune as well...

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-active-exhaust-install-guide.101913/post-3355093

I think they said that all the screens were there like you show but it did not work untill the adjusted the Tune.

Then later..someone said they figured how to do it without the tune...but i didnt quite follow what they said...

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-active-exhaust-install-guide.101913/post-3473156

Dont know if it relates here. I dont think that we can edit the tunes in the 2024 due to new ford restrictions and encryption (I read somewhere that ford wants to be able to do over the air updates and not worry about how people messed with the settings???).

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
Dont know if this is relevant but on that large thread in the 6g forum...it was discussed that starting in 2019 or 20 you could not just use ForScan...you had to update parameters in a PCM tune as well...

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-active-exhaust-install-guide.101913/post-3355093

I think they said that all the screens were there like you show but it did not work untill the adjusted the Tune.

Then later..someone said they figured how to do it without the tune...but i didnt quite follow what they said...

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-active-exhaust-install-guide.101913/post-3473156

Dont know if it relates here. I dont think that we can edit the tunes in the 2024 due to new ford restrictions and encryption (I read somewhere that ford wants to be able to do over the air updates and not worry about how people messed with the settings???).
that workaround works by overwriting your PCM with a different programming, but has the risk of bricking your PCM, which obviously would not be covered by warranty, and would lead to you spending about $1000 in parts to replace it out of pocket

OP
OP
Diodict

Diodict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT conv

I read this post first before I worked on my project. Some of 18 owners got AE features after changing some codes via Forscan. In my mind, for others didnā€™t get ae features, I believe they need to change some more codes. Unfortunately the 6g Mustang Forscan list is not completed. I also think this is easier for 7g. All mustangs have the pvac harness on their trunk which can connect to an active valve. Iā€™m willing to pay if there is someone in the us and can get me the harnesses cuz I really wanna test it asap.
Sponsored