• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

“Next Gen” Mustang Will be Electric (EV) Only Claims Autoline

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It's possible we'll see a full EV for S650, but it'll be a lot easier to implement the EV architecture into a car designed for it from the start, ie S750. It'll be a complicated compromise to try and build an EV S650 when it's been designed primarily for ICE :)
Isn't the new S650 platform very much so like a skateboard? I thought I remember reading somewhere the "Explorer's platform" was designed to be very much so EV development friendly?

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Isn't the new S650 platform very much so like a skateboard? I thought I remember reading somewhere the "Explorer's platform" was designed to be very much so EV development friendly?
No, because S650 will be a heavy revision of S550.

Whilst CD6 was designed to support AWD/RWD/ICE/Hybrid, the development on all other vehicles (including the "original" S650) was cancelled after Explorer/Aviator. S650 then became a heavy refresh of the current D2C platform.

Last edited:

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
No, because S650 will be a heavy revision of S550.

Whilst CD6 was designed to support AWD/RWD/ICE/Hybrid, the development on all other vehicles (including the "original" S650) was cancelled after Explorer/Aviator. S650 then became a heavy refresh of the current D2C platform.
Ahh ok, thought it was still on CD6.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
well the future is here and when you get gapped by a mach E GT electric we will reconsider getting an electric car.
Getting 'gapped' doesn't mean squat to me. No different now with the Mach E on the automotive landscape than it was 50 years ago when the other car would have had a big-block and my car would have had at most a 302 or a 327 or a 340 under the hood.

Hell, I'd rather buy another 4.6L S197 than be given a Tesla or any other EV.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
What are you missing? Honestly for me the feeling cars give you when you smash the gas is what draws me personally to cars.
That's not enough for me either.

If that's all a car has to give me, it's a negative because access to that measure of performance requires so little thought or skill that even a caveman could do it.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Me personally, not into the electric/autonomous vehicles now and most likely for many more years.
With that said... if I ever make it to 90 years old and can no longer drive, I think I would love to be able to climb into a car and say "Take me to ______" and just sit back and enjoy the ride.
My Dad drove up until a week before he passed at age 91. I expect no less of myself if I make it that far.

Norm

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I keep reading about how the 'future' is all about 'electric cars'. I'm all for the 'future' and saving the planet by combatting global warming (after all, I'd like to be a part of it), but I have a few problems with this.

First, I don't care how much torque an electric motor produces at zero rpm. My washing machine does the same thing, and it's not very exciting. For me, fun in a car is so much more than the 'numbers'. It's how a car feels and sounds. I've yet to see any electric car that I think has any soul or personality. It doesn't matter to me how 'fast' they might be or how impressive the 'numbers' are. It's still just a soulless appliance.

A fun car for me has to have a manual transmission and an engine with character. It has to be something I can emotionally connect with. That's never going to happen for me with a glorified washing machine.

Second, I totally support the need to fight global warming and save the planet. After all, it's the only one we have, so it's a good idea to not kill it, and ourselves in the process. But the dirty not-so-little hypocrisy of electric cars right now is that they are not (yet) 'the solution'. In the U.S., almost 2/3 of electricity is still generated from fossil fuels, primarily natural gas (and the next biggest source is nuclear, with its own environmental issues). It doesn't make environmental sense to burn fossil fuels to charge an electric car. They just become remote emissions vehicles, not 'zero' emissions.

When (or if) the time comes that the electric grid is largely generated from truly renewable sources (solar, wind, tidal, etc.) then electric cars will make environmental sense. In some local areas that might be the case now, in which case, great, go for it. But it's just not the case nationally (or globally), such as in my area where 95% of electricity is generated from natural gas.

Lastly, does every single car on the road have to be electric? I totally understand and support a future with the electric power grid generated from renewable sources and BEVs as bland, anodyne transportation appliances. But the Mustang always was, and is supposed to be, a fun car. There are plenty and will be even more electric cars as transportation. People buy Mustangs largely for the engine. Isn't there room to leave the iconic, original pony car in a form that's fun to drive? Does the Mustang have to be neutered along with every other fun car? Can't it be left as an homage to the (admittedly fading) days of fun pony cars?

This is certainly a purely business decision by Ford. I'm sure legions of financial analysts have 'run the numbers' and concluded the company will make more money selling electric Mustangs to people who don't care about manual transmissions or legendary engines, or get any thrill out of the sound of a V8 ripping through the gears. They probably have concluded that the same people who will be buying electric Mach-E's will also buy an electric Mustang as their 'fun' car. I get it. In the U.S., the law is that every company must always maximize shareholder value, which means make as much money as they possibly can.

But I think the world will be poorer off for it. I'm hanging on to my current Mustang until my aging bones can no longer shift a manual transmission, or gasoline is no longer available.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I would love to play around on the street in a car with >600 tq at the crack of the throttle without having to build RPMs.
Exactly opposite to what makes a performance car easy to drive all the time, under wider conditions than just sunny and warm.

Very much opposite to what you'd want on a road course, where fine throttle modulation - by you, not some computer - is your friend. Light-switch on-off power could easily be one of your worst enemies. But I guess you have to look at street driving as a much slower version of track driving than the other way around (where your track driving would just end up including all of your street driving mistakes at higher speeds).

I agree thats why on the street it would be stupid fun. Instant tq to throw your body into the seat at takeoff. Torque is more important to get car out of hole
Sorry, none of that does much for me after the first couple of times.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I do not think anyone would dispute a “mustang forum” being upset, reluctant , or resistant to change from a gas v8 to electric. lol. I’m not saying I like it, but guess what? Your future mustang will be electric!
Or restomod . . .

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Who cares what engine is in the car you daily?
I personally expect to enjoy driving any car I buy. The kool-aid matter of EV acceleration aside (that's doing a much too good of a job of pulling enthusiasts into the EV camp before they realize that there's more to driving than straight lines), EVs are really more about being 'mobility appliances' for the non-enthusiast, and that just isn't enough.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
2) By 2028, will the U.S. have an electrical grid large enough to support an all electric fleet.
Are you sure about that? The new administration is poised to roll back at least one of the emissions regulation relaxations that the previous administration pushed through.

Let's talk about an EV Mustang's situation, where it's not the only car needing to be fed at the home recharging trough . . . especially if it's one of two daily driven cars because of incompatible commutes. I've never seen that situation even mentioned . . .

Norm

WhinRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Ford Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Mustang GT
Exactly opposite to what makes a performance car easy to drive all the time, under wider conditions than just sunny and warm.

Norm
It is whatever floats your boat. I am more of a straight line junkie (1/4 mile etc) that enjoys the feeling of acceleration and it makes me giddy like a 5 year old.

I would assume for road racing the car would have to have crap ton of torque vectoring and/or modulation to keep it so there is not just an on/off switch under your right foot. I am not a road racer but I’d assume you still try to keep car in the power band so could help. Just because the power is there from 0 rpm doesn’t mean you have to mash throttle upon takeoff- just like combustion engines.
Sponsored