• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Misleading HP

BobbyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I’m not sure if I’m the only one that feels misled on Fords advertised HP number.
When I heard 480HP for new GT I thought that was at the rear wheel.
I had never heard of HP being measured at the crank.
I feel this is a marketing ploy and deceiving since we are only interested in the rwhp.
There got that off my chest.
Sponsored

keithwalton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue Ember Dark Horse on order, Mercedes SLC
Brochure Horse Power (BHP, this is a joke but it's what is used to be known as) is always measured at the flywheel / crank by every manufacturer it has never been anything else.
That way a manual and auto car with the same engine have the same figure.

Be thankful the test has been standardised, back in the 50's / 60's manufacturers would dyno an engine without ancillaries or even full exhaust so they'd wildly over estimate HP figures. There is a point where most muscle cars lost around 100 bhp when manufacturers were forced to attach alternators, power steering pumps etc to dyno engines

Edit - A quick wiki reminder, it was 1972 when the ruling changed that manufacturers had to advertise SAE Net HP rather than SAE Gross HP

Last edited:

Mustang1987

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 mustang gt
I’m not sure if I’m the only one that feels misled on Fords advertised HP number.
I feel this is a marketing ploy and deceiving since we are only interested in the rwhp.
There got that off my chest.
You're the only one because this is how all manufacturers measure HP.

keithwalton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue Ember Dark Horse on order, Mercedes SLC
Correct-o although this update was far less significant than the change in the 70's it brought SAE testing in line with european testing and made the test a bit more transparent as you were no longer allowed to test your engine yourself behind closed doors, independent verification was required to make sure you weren't bending the rules to get the highest number possible. (special oil / fuel etc)

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
There are things you can do...carbon fiber driveshaft, weight reduction, CF wheels. All of that will reduce rotating mass and free up HP.

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
you’re definitely the only one, welcome to America. Engines are rated by their output

Sidenote I can’t believe I’m reading this shxt…

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 GT vert A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 6MT
you’re definitely the only one, welcome to America. Engines are rated by their output

Sidenote I can’t believe I’m reading this shxt…
This right here.

Rather than multi-quote all the other correct responses so far let me just say the first thing I did was to look and see what country the OP was from. Don’t they quote RWHP in some European countries? Otherwise yes, I’m pretty sure he’s the only one who feels misled.

Tell the truth I was out yesterday in my bone stock S550 GT convertible romping and stomping and was thinking that ever since it’s been broken in (now 4500 miles) 460 at the crank actually feels a little light to my old butt dyno. The car is plain fast.

Last edited:

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
OP is obviously a troll …

I would have more fun with my responses but I don’t want to get banned by a moderator…

Do we get a free pass on breaking forum rules if responding to a troll?