• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

I got to drive a S650 for the first time recently.. I'm underwhelmed

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
AWD would make the Mustang irrelevant. The market is already saturated with 4Matic or Xdrive or other types. Many sports car enthusiasts who don't drive rally or drag have zero interest in AWD.
incorrect. AWD would give the mustang greater traction on any surface - even in winter. Would do wil infers for 0-60 and quarter mile as well.
Sponsored

JAM486HP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
as a hardcore mustang fan wishing and praying for better leading up to the s650, here’s hoping the next gen is actually a true all new platform built with modernity and performance in mind.
With the way things are moving/being pushed these days, my concern was NO more gen Mustang or MachE :puke: It could very well happen, hope I'm wrong and I'll get a Gen8 some day, if not, damn glad I got the last true gen of American ICE

V10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Viper, '21 M2 Competition, '22 S1000RR
OP is right to feel underwhelmed. Ford hides the weight of the DH by putting the grippiest tire they have ever put on any production mustang.

C&D Lightning Lap has the Mach 1 and DH, although different years, the DH is only .2 seconds quicker despite having a tire advantage.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a38966053/2021-ford-mustang-mach-1-lightning-lap/
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a46575527/2024-ford-mustang-dark-horse-lightning-lap-2024/

I wonder how the Mach 1 or even the GT350 would do if it was on Trofeo RS tires?

MaddNomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GRC
AWD would make the Mustang irrelevant. The market is already saturated with 4Matic or Xdrive or other types. Many sports car enthusiasts who don't drive rally or drag have zero interest in AWD.
Idk about irrelevant but I agree it doesn’t need AWD. It being a long nose, short deck, rwd car is part of its charm.

Just add some lightness.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
OP is right to feel underwhelmed. Ford hides the weight of the DH by putting the grippiest tire they have ever put on any production mustang.

C&D Lightning Lap has the Mach 1 and DH, although different years, the DH is only .2 seconds quicker despite having a tire advantage.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a38966053/2021-ford-mustang-mach-1-lightning-lap/
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a46575527/2024-ford-mustang-dark-horse-lightning-lap-2024/

I wonder how the Mach 1 or even the GT350 would do if it was on Trofeo RS tires?
Or a ‘24 m6 gt pp

JAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
incorrect. AWD would give the mustang greater traction on any surface - even in winter. Would do wil infers for 0-60 and quarter mile as well.
We're saying the same thing. I know it gives better traction. A front end without traction enables you to rotate the car mid-corner like a real sport car (such as a Cup car). The Mustang gives us that at a fraction of the price.

JAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Idk about irrelevant but I agree it doesn’t need AWD. It being a long nose, short deck, rwd car is part of its charm.

Just add some lightness.
I hear you. I'm not sure it's possible with an engine that big and government safety regulations. If we look at the much smaller, less powerful Nissan Z, it is only about 225lb lighter.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I hear you. I'm not sure it's possible with an engine that big and government safety regulations. If we look at the much smaller, less powerful Nissan Z, it is only about 225lb lighter.
Small electric motor at each front wheel + additional alternator to gen e-juice for when the ‘hey add that little bit more’ button is pressed. If dodge can call two 300 hp motors 600 hp we can get creative as well.

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT

The article on the GT350R pretty much echos what you are saying in comparing it to the Z28 with Trofeos. But we, can only go with the times we have regardless of tires.
https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...-shelby-gt350r-at-lightning-lap-2016-feature/

My question is why isn't Ford providing DHs with the carbon fiber wheels for these tests? Also, the DH they tested was the heavier automatic. It would be nice to see the lighter manual transmission and the carbon wheels tested for this tracks.

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT
Small electric motor at each front wheel + additional alternator to gen e-juice for when the ‘hey add that little bit more’ button is pressed. If dodge can call two 300 hp motors 600 hp we can get creative as well.
I had no idea people were looking for these types of enhancements for the Mustang. That Dodge is 5800lbs. I will keep buying rear wheel manual ICE cars for as long as I can. I would take a Supra over any Hybrid AWD Mustang. Squaring off corners in a RWD. But I understand, my neighbor loves his Mach E and the AWD.

When I do have to go EV I am more interested in the new MR2 or Lotus Type 135. Just something small and ligher.

MaddNomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GRC
I mean the Alpha platform for Camaro did exactly that man. It was better dynamically too, which is mainly what I would want.

Pretty much commit to it being a sports car. Shrink it down a bit.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
The article on the GT350R pretty much echos what you are saying in comparing it to the Z28 with Trofeos. But we, can only go with the times we have regardless of tires.
https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...-shelby-gt350r-at-lightning-lap-2016-feature/

My question is why isn't Ford providing DHs with the carbon fiber wheels for these tests? Also, the DH they tested was the heavier automatic. It would be nice to see the lighter manual transmission and the carbon wheels tested for this tracks.

You hit the nail on the head on asking why no carbon fiber wheels for these tests....

I can attest to the carbon fiber wheels making a difference....

The GT350R even dynos higher than the GT350 due to the wheels .....

JAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I mean the Alpha platform for Camaro did exactly that man. It was better dynamically too, which is mainly what I would want.

Pretty much commit to it being a sports car. Shrink it down a bit.
Isn't the Mustang built on the same platform as the Escape? For sure the chassis is a compromise. I hesitated between camaro and s550 mustang for my first track car and went with the mustang mostly because I can see what's around me better, and it gives me the confidence to go faster. And I preferred the looks. But yes the camaro felt better and is faster in stock form no contest here.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Isn't the Mustang built on the same platform as the Escape? For sure the chassis is a compromise. I hesitated between camaro and s550 mustang for my first track car and went with the mustang mostly because I can see what's around me better, and it gives me the confidence to go faster. And I preferred the looks. But yes the camaro felt better and is faster in stock form no contest here.
You are mixing up D2C and CD2

S197 was the D2C and the S550 is a very heavily modified version of that unique to the Mustang

Last edited:
Reactions: JAL

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
I'm crossing fingers they fire mary or someone whacks the C-suite upside the head with clue-by-4 and the CT4V Blacking in 2-door config (and no back seat) gets labeled Camaro. 2026.
Sponsored