• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

I got to drive a S650 for the first time recently.. I'm underwhelmed

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I'm crossing fingers they fire mary or someone whacks the C-suite upside the head with clue-by-4 and the CT4V Blacking in 2-door config (and no back seat) gets labeled Camaro. 2026.
dear general maintenance…
Sponsored

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT
You hit the nail on the head on asking why no carbon fiber wheels for these tests....

I can attest to the carbon fiber wheels making a difference....

The GT350R even dynos higher than the GT350 due to the wheels .....
Here is my conspiracy theory. Based on all we have seen and heard. First of all, a lot of people seem to quote the savagegeese review and ridicule the comment about the focus groups. However, the interesting part about that review to me was the engineer speaking about the mechanical attributes. He pretty much summed up what the S650 is. It's Ford perfecting this platform with aerodynamics, steering, magneride, and Gen 4 coyote. He stated that when you have a new model it takes time to get it right but stated that the S650 is the end and the culmination of engineering. I believe consumer comments reviews have echoed this "refinement" of the platform. It is worth the money? Who knows, everyone can make up their mind.

Now, with Dark Horse, the name implies a winner that people did not see coming, an underdog. Now my conspiracy starts. I believe Ford knew the price and perceived performance (0-60, 1/4 mile, HP, weight) was gonna cause a crap storm. So they initially held back releasing the carbon fiber wheels because that was gonna explode the price further. Ford let's the dust settle, then releases the carbon fiber wheels, plus maybe a 2025 variant that is a little lighter, and BAM! We have a winner.

This is the story I would like to believe!

EDIT: The S650 GTs have the same aerodynamic properties. So people should be able to mod their cars to reach the handling capability of the DH if they choose to.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
. It's Ford perfecting this platform with aerodynamics, steering, magneride, and Gen 4 coyote
said Engineer (and his boss) need to be fired. Ford's MR still blows and is no match for even the discontinued Camaro let alone the Blackwings. And they totally ruined the steering. Nobody cares about theoretical aero improvements over 120mph. And the hood vent is placed IN FRONT of the radiator stack where it WON'T work. Camaro got that right too. Ford chassis/body engineering is a bunch of dumb-asses.

Stop hiring C-grade students.

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
said Engineer (and his boss) need to be fired. Ford's MR still blows and is no match for even the discontinued Camaro let alone the Blackwings. And they totally ruined the steering. Nobody cares about theoretical aero improvements over 120mph. And the hood vent is placed IN FRONT of the radiator stack where it WON'T work. Camaro got that right too. Ford chassis/body engineering is a bunch of dumb-asses.

You say nobody cares about aero improvements over 120MPH, then why should we care about an Alpha platform that's not being made? How many people can drive that Alpha platform at 10/10ths? You can't have it both ways. Nobody is disputing the Alpha platform doesn't perform better but every review I have said states that the GT350R that the engineer and his boss also developed is more engaging and fun to drive.

Car design has to have a place for regular people like me to track it and have fun. But it also has to allow for expert drivers to get theirs. Ford is doing a better job at this than anyone. From a 4.6S 0-60 Ecoboost to the GT350R GOAT Ford is killing it. And you know the GT500 is coming. The GTD and Ford GT are here. The lineup is solid.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV

Have you actually driven an S650 to give those strong opinions? Plus the hood vents - is it not possible that Ford may have got them right :wink: .

It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, but it helps if you actually have proper information rather than 'opinions'.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
is it not possible that Ford may have got them right
no. When every other vent solution can prove where vents BELONG. Ford put them there because it looks better.
Haven't we seen over and over and over and over that Ford grabs mediocrity from the jaws of reaching for excellence?

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
no. When every other vent solution can prove where vents BELONG. Ford put them there because it looks better.
Haven't we seen over and over and over and over that Ford grabs mediocrity from the jaws of reaching for excellence?
Sorry. I thought we were having a good debate on whether the S650 was worth it. Or even S650 vs the Alpha platform. Or who is making a better chassis. I am not an automotive engineer I just drive. I have no idea about vent placement nor do I care. I am moving on because my car isn't overheating. Lol

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
In all honesty, I was out of love with my 18GT. I mod'd it too far (suspension) and it wasn't fun anymore. The Corsa full exhaust was obnoxious as well.

So I traded it for a 2022 (in 22) Explorer Timberline... Was cool.. but immediately knew I was going to order a 2024 GT. I could have got another S550, but honestly, I do not mess with used vehicles anymore. Although, a 23' Mach 1 was calling me.. LOL

So here I am , and I love my 24.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Does the flow across the top produce a draw? While stationary in the unfortunate rain does it dribble onto the engine or collect on the rad cover?

Instant Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler, '24 VB Mustang GT PP Vert 6sp
Blame the government. Once you could buy a VW or Ford Maverick for about $2,.000. High end for a car was about $4,000. I didn't have the money to buy one of them but I paid less than $9,000 for my 82 GT. My 96 GT was about $27,000. An Econo Boost is far less than a GT or Dark horse but the dollar is worth less than ever before in history. If you vote for policies that drive up government spending, you get inflation and unfortunately many do.
Believe it or not, when I was in high school the national debit was was about 3 trillion dollars. Today it's ten time that and we don't have much to show for it other than empty pockets.
If you want a real lesson on inflation, google Weimar Republic.
BRAVO!

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Isn't the Mustang built on the same platform as the Escape? For sure the chassis is a compromise. I hesitated between camaro and s550 mustang for my first track car and went with the mustang mostly because I can see what's around me better, and it gives me the confidence to go faster. And I preferred the looks. But yes the camaro felt better and is faster in stock form no contest here.
it was going to be under HACKettes reign. Would have been a Huge mistake.

good thing that those plans were scrapped.

Reactions: JAL

JediMindTrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S650 GT 401A (NP, PP, MR, AE, 10R80)
In all honesty, I was out of love with my 18GT. I mod'd it too far (suspension) and it wasn't fun anymore. The Corsa full exhaust was obnoxious as well.

So I traded it for a 2022 (in 22) Explorer Timberline... Was cool.. but immediately knew I was going to order a 2024 GT. I could have got another S550, but honestly, I do not mess with used vehicles anymore. Although, a 23' Mach 1 was calling me.. LOL

So here I am , and I love my 24.
Same here except with my 15' and that's why I went with MR on this build with some lowering springs, sway bars and wider wheels. I feel as though I hit the sweet spot between DD and open track warrior. May be my last V8 sport coupe so why not.
Sponsored