• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

MustangMac67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
I don't think it's a matter of pattern that dictates what they'll offer, just what the designers think works best with the given design and what's trending during the respective eras. I'm sure it's customary at this point to differentiate basic trims with a basic lip, then to offer something more aggressive as standard for a GT, and then a little extra for things like performance packs and handling packs.

Nowadays, those stupid devil-horned split wings/lips are all over the place. You see them on Ms, AMGs, really all over modern cars now, and now the S650 has them on the performance package cars and DH. It's like they did the inverse of a centrally raised gurney flap.

I'm sure this styling is partly because it's the latest cosmetic trend that sells well (and might prove my distaste of them the minority opinion), and it's probably backed up by some marketing mumbo jumbo in that it places more aerodynamic forces in places that are more efficient, like where air channels more heavily or the fact that they're placed more directly over the wheels (when in reality it probably makes zero practical difference). Some shit that Ferrari did with its split wing designs on its later-era cars.

But to reply more directly to your question, we're most likely going to see several variations of lips, spoilers, and wings.

I can't wait for this split-end look to die out:

2022-Honda-Civic-Si-9500.jpg

S650 Mustang Yellow Splash 2024 Mustang GT Caught Testing {filename}

PS, Ford has this obsession lately of designing ugly pedestal wing spoilers with chunky central mounting points. All of their wings would look 1,000,000,000,000 times better without those things. Always made the back of PP S550 GTs look so ugly imo.
Hows this?
S650 Mustang Yellow Splash 2024 Mustang GT Caught Testing gtpp (1)

S650 Mustang Yellow Splash 2024 Mustang GT Caught Testing 24gt
Sponsored

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜65 GTO, ā€˜05 GMC P/U, ā€˜17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hi - As has been stated previously, we all have individual tastes and sometimes it relates to our age and the cars we grew up with. I was 18 in 1960 and like subtle looks and thatā€™s what attracted me to the Bullitt - some retro touches, no pony on the grill, no callout numbers on the sides, no bold stripes or loud colors and no rear spoiler, sort of like the original movie car. I donā€™t drive fast enough to need aerodynamic aids. I would even like thin line white wall or redline tires, but we canā€™t have everything can we. Yes, Iā€™m old and opinionatedā€¦. Bruce

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
I think the design is based on being aeroneutral, so having the wing has to result in the same amount of downforce as no wing at all. There are videos from the 2018 refresh with Carl Widmann who confirms that for the high wing that added back then.

MustangMac67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
I think the design is based on being aeroneutral, so having the wing has to result in the same amount of downforce as no wing at all. There are videos from the 2018 refresh with Carl Widmann who confirms that for the high wing that added back then.
That would explain why the gt pp2 has a lower profile spoiler. I think it had 70lbs of downforce

Evo1986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT - 55 years edition Kona Blue AT
I don't think it's a matter of pattern that dictates what they'll offer, just what the designers think works best with the given design and what's trending during the respective eras. I'm sure it's customary at this point to differentiate basic trims with a basic lip, then to offer something more aggressive as standard for a GT, and then a little extra for things like performance packs and handling packs.

Nowadays, those stupid devil-horned split wings/lips are all over the place. You see them on Ms, AMGs, really all over modern cars now, and now the S650 has them on the performance package cars and DH. It's like they did the inverse of a centrally raised gurney flap.

I'm sure this styling is partly because it's the latest cosmetic trend that sells well (and might prove my distaste of them the minority opinion), and it's probably backed up by some marketing mumbo jumbo in that it places more aerodynamic forces in places that are more efficient, like where air channels more heavily or the fact that they're placed more directly over the wheels (when in reality it probably makes zero practical difference). Some shit that Ferrari did with its split wing designs on its later-era cars.

But to reply more directly to your question, we're most likely going to see several variations of lips, spoilers, and wings.

PS, Ford has this obsession lately of designing ugly pedestal wing spoilers with chunky central mounting points. All of their wings would look 1,000,000,000,000 times better without those things. Always made the back of PP S550 GTs look so ugly imo.
TBH I never liked the rear wings of the Mustangs. I personally think they kind of destroy the nice silhouette of the car. I am not even sure if that wing has a meaningful purpose (function) or it is just there as accessory.

If I get the DH, I will remove that wing and put only a ducktail or leave it out completely.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
TBH I never liked the rear wings of the Mustangs. I personally think they kind of destroy the nice silhouette of the car. I am not even sure if that wing has a meaningful purpose (function) or it is just there as accessory.

If I get the DH, I will remove that wing and put only a ducktail or leave it out completely.
the only problem with removing the wing, the holes for the new spoiler may not line up, and there goes the paint shop.

NegativeMultiplier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-

Hows this?

Personally I'm not a fan of the non-pedestal spoiler on the S650, to me the car was just not designed in a way that would make it work.

I've seen a few DHs around, the new spoiler looks to me like a much edgier but lower profile version of what Ford offered on the GT350R. Not a perfect inspiration, but I can see it.

I think something like this works amazingly on the S550 though, once again referencing the GT350. Maybe we'll see something similar on a Cobra model for the S650, more derivative of what's on the DH. Maybe I'll have my opinion squashed (I hope so).

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package

You never see wings on the NASCAR look-a-like Mustang, just spoilers.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Was minding my own business this afternoon and came upon this pair out for testing. Both 5.0. A coupe and a convertible.

That building in the background over the convertible? Ford HQ.

S650 Mustang Yellow Splash 2024 Mustang GT Caught Testing C720A560-501F-42D0-AB02-BD3C1F9BE2B1
S650 Mustang Yellow Splash 2024 Mustang GT Caught Testing 8FFC162D-D8BD-42D7-A670-2BED6AA51F25

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
Ford is kinda waiting too long at this point.
I wanted to buy the new shit, but theyā€™re everywhere, I see like 3 or 4 a day on 94
Sponsored