• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Wrench + Jack

24BlueStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost
If you are looking for a jack to change a roadside flat, a floor jack isn't the answer. Do people actually carry a floor jack around in a Mustang? There's nothing wrong with a scissor jack if you set the hand brake and take a little caution.

For rotations or any type of home maintenance, sure you should have a floor jack AND jacket stands.

As far as the lug nuts, a long 1/2 drive breaker bar and the right size socket (21mm) will do by the side of the road. Snug them up...you're just driving home or to a shop on the spare.

At home, definately have a torque wrench. I am surprised anyone suggests you just grunt a little and guess.
You donā€™t have to get a big full size floor jack. They do make floor jacks that are a fraction of the size that only weigh like 8lbs and can fit in the rear floor board of our cars if someone wanted to put it there. Not that any of us would do that but itā€™s a possibility if need be. I used to carry around a cheap one from Walmart in the rear floor board when I had an Altima years ago. Better than any scissor jack imo
Sponsored

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
They are OEM with Brembo brakes. Different wheels that come with that package. I ordered the car new..
1/2" thread size, 13/16" hex

Last edited:

24BlueStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost
They are OEM with Brembo brakes. Different wheels that come with that package. I ordered the car new..
1/2" thread size, 13/16" hex
Thatā€™s cool to know. Wish all the manufacturers wouldā€™ve kept using SAE and never switched at all. Was nothing wrong with the SAE system so why switch? Lol

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
Hey! notacarguy here. I'm aware that without optioning it, my car does not come with a spare/tools. But I'm not a car guy. So I'm not sure specifically what I should buy. The spare I can deal with myself, but as far as my (limited) knowledge goes, not all jacks are the same... So I'm wondering, what mustang friendly jacks would y'all recommend? I'm thinking a scissor jack, but I know ZERO reputable brands! I'm also wondering if y'all prefer lug wrenches or torque wrenches and brands for those as well. Thanks in advance!

What are you looking to do? just change a spare in case of a flat or some kind of seasonal tire change?

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Was nothing wrong with the SAE system so why switch? Lol
You're right, it was nothing "wrong" with it, but metric is just better and simpler and more logical.
Oh and most other countries are on it so it's better if you're in a worldwide market.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
Y'all can go with tightening lug nuts with an impact wrench, but I'll always check the torque spec with a torque wrench. The manufacturer lists a spec and I'm going to follow it as I am not an automotive engineer. Seems a little reckless to me not to verify the torque spec especially for those who are technicians. That's your liability on the line. If there is damage due to an improperly torqued nut/bolt it may be on you to deal with legally or financially.

For the OP, I don't have a recommendation on a quality scissor jack. If you just want something for the side of the road I would recommend something made in USA. Less likely to collapse on you! Good luck!

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
if you mean for home, i recommend this
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton...ck-with-rapid-pump-metallic-purple-70611.html
its the exact same at Scam-On's FJ300 $1030 jack (same supplier and all) but is $740 less. i also recommend getting a 1/2 inch electric impact driver (will easily take lugs off) and a 19mm impact socket as well as a 1/2 inch torque wrench. i personally use a Craftsman impact driver and Husky torque wrench and never had an issue.

if you are talking about for a roadside spare replacement, first thing is to check if you have the spare kit or the sealer/compressor kit. if you have the spare, everything in there is good enough for a roadside replacement

Sofa King

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost, Vapor Blue, HPP

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Other than performing a tire change on the side of the road, I have absolutely zero idea why anyone would try to dissuade someone from using and/or openly advocating AGAINST using a torque wrench. That's just plain wrong. From cars and trucks to SXS and ATVs, I use a torque wrench on everything except for the smallest of nuts/bolts. There's a reason the manufacturer sets and publishes torque specifications.

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
A scissor jack is a PITA but it will fit in your trunk, a nice floor jack(like those that have been linked) will be much better for tire changes that happen seasonally and will save you time. If you have the money I'd get both, one for your trunk and one for your garage. I would also get a torque wrench, there are torque specs for a reason and the closer you can get to those the better.

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
Just get you a small 2 ton floor jack. Donā€™t get a scissor jack for anything. Those things are dangerous as can be. I never use a torque wrench on any lug nuts unless specified by customer to do so. Just get you a good quality 4 way or invest in a decent little impact and the correct size impact rated socket. Just my .02
I donā€™t use one either. Iā€™ve torqued enough lugs, studs, and nuts over the years that I donā€™t need to pull out another tool.
I also use a harbor freight 3 ton floor jack with craftsman jack stands.

OP
OP

notacarguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2024 Mustang GT Premium NPP, PP
A scissor jack is a PITA but it will fit in your trunk, a nice floor jack(like those that have been linked) will be much better for tire changes that happen seasonally and will save you time. If you have the money I'd get both, one for your trunk and one for your garage. I would also get a torque wrench, there are torque specs for a reason and the closer you can get to those the better.
Gotcha! Thank you!

OP
OP

notacarguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2024 Mustang GT Premium NPP, PP
if you mean for home, i recommend this
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton...ck-with-rapid-pump-metallic-purple-70611.html
its the exact same at Scam-On's FJ300 $1030 jack (same supplier and all) but is $740 less. i also recommend getting a 1/2 inch electric impact driver (will easily take lugs off) and a 19mm impact socket as well as a 1/2 inch torque wrench. i personally use a Craftsman impact driver and Husky torque wrench and never had an issue.

if you are talking about for a roadside spare replacement, first thing is to check if you have the spare kit or the sealer/compressor kit. if you have the spare, everything in there is good enough for a roadside replacement
Amazing! I appreciate the specificities! Will definitely look into some of those.
Sponsored