• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Wrench + Jack

notacarguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2024 Mustang GT Premium NPP, PP
Hey! notacarguy here. I'm aware that without optioning it, my car does not come with a spare/tools. But I'm not a car guy. So I'm not sure specifically what I should buy. The spare I can deal with myself, but as far as my (limited) knowledge goes, not all jacks are the same... So I'm wondering, what mustang friendly jacks would y'all recommend? I'm thinking a scissor jack, but I know ZERO reputable brands! I'm also wondering if y'all prefer lug wrenches or torque wrenches and brands for those as well. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

24BlueStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost
Just get you a small 2 ton floor jack. Don’t get a scissor jack for anything. Those things are dangerous as can be. I never use a torque wrench on any lug nuts unless specified by customer to do so. Just get you a good quality 4 way or invest in a decent little impact and the correct size impact rated socket. Just my .02

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
Harbor Freight has a Daytona jack with a free Hercules impact driver right now

MichaelKael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maggie, beautiful ´15 Cyclone Mustang 51A Magnetic
Just get you a small 2 ton floor jack. Don’t get a scissor jack for anything. Those things are dangerous as can be. I never use a torque wrench on any lug nuts unless specified by customer to do so. Just get you a good quality 4 way or invest in a decent little impact and the correct size impact rated socket. Just my .02
Stupid question maybe, but why never use a torque wrench ? Not even on wheels ?

24BlueStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost
Harbor Freight has a Daytona jack with a free Hercules impact driver right now
That they do but that’s for members only and that’s a $289 jack and the impact is just a bit driver impact. Wouldn’t do well with trying to do lug nuts. But those are good jacks

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
Lugs are torqued to 150 ft lbs so a nice 1/2 drive breaker bar 18-24 inches long with 13/16 socket will make the job easy.
If your not one that does many tire changes or rotations Harbor Freight torque wrench would be ok. Read reviews on the scissor jacks making sure you get a heavy duty one. A pad fitted on top will save your pinch welds.

Reactions: Zig

24BlueStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost
Stupid question maybe, but why never use a torque wrench ? Not even on wheels ?
Nope we never use them on lug nuts unless the customer requests it. Start them on good by hand then bump them to the wheel with air impact and then one quick ugga with the air impact after. Not too tight and not too loose. Somewhere around 120ftlb of torque. I can take them loose with a 4 way afterwards with a good little push so I know they’re good

24BlueStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost
Lugs are torqued to 150 ft lbs so a nice 1/2 drive breaker bar 18-24 inches long with 13/16 socket will make the job easy.
If your not one that does many tire changes or rotations Harbor Freight torque wrench would be ok. Read reviews on the scissor jacks making sure you get a heavy duty one. A pad fitted on top will save your pinch welds.
What car do you have that has 13/16 sized lug nuts? Unless they’re custom lug nuts, most fords are either 19mm or 21mm. Some F350 and a lot of F450 are 22mm.

MichaelKael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maggie, beautiful ´15 Cyclone Mustang 51A Magnetic
Nope we never use them on lug nuts unless the customer requests it. Start them on good by hand then bump them to the wheel with air impact and then one quick ugga with the air impact after. Not too tight and not too loose. Somewhere around 120ftlb of torque. I can take them loose with a 4 way afterwards with a good little push so I know they’re good
Thanks ;)
No air impact here, so I guess I’ll stick to the torque wrench then ? 🤷🏻‍♂️

24BlueStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost
Thanks ;)
No air impact here, so I guess I’ll stick to the torque wrench then ? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Ain’t nothing wrong with using a torque wrench at all. I ain’t against them at all. You could always get you a 1/2 battery impact like a Milwaukee, Rigid, or Dewalt. Those are my choices for battery tools. Specifically Milwaukee because they’re better than the others imo but any brand would work in a pinch as long as the battery is charged up.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
That they do but that’s for members only and that’s a $289 jack and the impact is just a bit driver impact. Wouldn’t do well with trying to do lug nuts. But those are good jacks
it'll do lugs

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
If you are looking for a jack to change a roadside flat, a floor jack isn't the answer. Do people actually carry a floor jack around in a Mustang? There's nothing wrong with a scissor jack if you set the hand brake and take a little caution.

For rotations or any type of home maintenance, sure you should have a floor jack AND jacket stands.

As far as the lug nuts, a long 1/2 drive breaker bar and the right size socket (21mm) will do by the side of the road. Snug them up...you're just driving home or to a shop on the spare.

At home, definately have a torque wrench. I am surprised anyone suggests you just grunt a little and guess.

Last edited:

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
What car do you have that has 13/16 sized lug nuts? Unless they’re custom lug nuts, most fords are either 19mm or 21mm. Some F350 and a lot of F450 are 22mm.
They are 21mm. 13/16 is 20.64mm and may work but why??

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
@24BlueStang ...Sorry fogot the my24 takes what you said. My 2011 GT takes 13/16..

Dicount tire and every tire shop I have ever been to uses torque wrenches.

24BlueStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost
@24BlueStang ...Sorry fogot the my24 takes what you said. My 2011 GT takes 13/16..

Dicount tire and every tire shop I have ever been to uses torque wrenches.
Tbh this is the first shop that I’ve worked at that doesn’t use them and they don’t have any in the shop. I just refuse to buy them and then they grow legs and walk off because people don’t know how to keep their hands to themselves. I’m the shop a hole cause I will flip boxes over tracking down my tools when I see they’re not where they’re supposed to be cause people don’t come directly to me to borrow something while I’m busy.

I haven’t seen anything with SAE lug nuts in a long time. ESP not anything newer than 89-90 model. Where’d you get your lug nuts?
Sponsored