• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Will the 2024 Motor be a Gen 4 Coyote?

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Ford mercifully doesn't do cylinder de-activation. It just turns the engine off if you step hard enough on the brake pedal when stopped. There is a defeat switch next to the hazards. You can also kill the feature when you order it ($20 dealer-only option, not available on website), as well use Forscan to quash it.
You're talking about auto stop/start. I know all of that. I disabled my it on my wife's Escape with Forscan.

I'm talking about cylinder deactivation - where fuel and spark is cut to specific cylinders while the rest keep firing.

https://fordauthority.com/2020/07/2...yote-to-get-cylinder-deactivation-technology/
Sponsored

OP
OP
Firsttexan

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 GT 500 PP, Past'13 GT500,98 GT,'92 LX 5.0 5spd
There is a defeat switch next to the hazards. You can also kill the feature when you order it ($20 dealer-only option, not available on website), as well use Forscan to quash it.
Good to know. I was thinking it was undefeatable.

mech94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost
Ford mercifully doesn't do cylinder de-activation. It just turns the engine off if you step hard enough on the brake pedal when stopped. There is a defeat switch next to the hazards. You can also kill the feature when you order it ($20 dealer-only option, not available on website), as well use Forscan to quash it.
tell that to my 21 f150 they're using solenoids in the heads to kill cylinders

mech94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost
here you can see the solenoids between cyl 5 &6 and 7&8 and a spacer plate between the valve cover and head most likely used to divert oil away from the lash adjusters to bleed them down like the ls and lt
S650 Mustang Will the 2024 Motor be a Gen 4 Coyote? Screenshot_20220909-182908_Gallery
S650 Mustang Will the 2024 Motor be a Gen 4 Coyote? Screenshot_20220909-182846_Chrome

OP
OP
Firsttexan

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 GT 500 PP, Past'13 GT500,98 GT,'92 LX 5.0 5spd
100% I'm a mechanic run my own shop specializing on ford gas and diesel they have cylinder deactivation on the new 5.0 I consider them gen 4 motors and I'm pretty sure they'll put them in the new mustang.
Ya, they sure do. I was just looking that up

I think you may be on to something regarding a "Gen 4 5.0".

mech94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost
the cams no longer bolt to the heads like a normal 5.0 they go on the spacer plate
S650 Mustang Will the 2024 Motor be a Gen 4 Coyote? Screenshot_20220909-183534_Chrome

mech94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost
and it looks like they may have fixed the oil pump gear issue
S650 Mustang Will the 2024 Motor be a Gen 4 Coyote? Screenshot_20220909-185508_Chrome

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
A lot of the f150 boys consider it to be a gen 4 coyote and it kinda is. They changed a lot of stuff in 21 on the 5.0. External oil pump, cylinder deactivation and some VCT changes it’s really more like a 3.5 generation
im All for saving some gas with auto start stop and cylinder deactivation but let people turn this shit off. Word on the street has been good i haven’t heard any horror stories related to the 21 and up 5.0s f150s

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
A lot of the f150 boys consider it to be a gen 4 coyote and it kinda is. They changed a lot of stuff in 21 on the 5.0. External oil pump, cylinder deactivation and some VCT changes it’s really more like a 3.5 generation
im All for saving some gas with auto start stop and cylinder deactivation but let people turn this shit off. Word on the street has been good i haven’t heard any horror stories related to the 21 and up 5.0s f150s
21 is brand new. I should hope it will take at least a couple years for the horror stories to start.

Man, this is too bad. First we get the direct injection and cheap plasma wire transfer arc cylinder liners... now auto stop start and cylinder deactivation? The Coyote really went downhill.

I know this is just a rumor at this point, but it's a very believable rumor to me. Sad, but believable.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
100% I'm a mechanic run my own shop specializing on ford gas and diesel they have cylinder deactivation on the new 5.0 I consider them gen 4 motors and I'm pretty sure they'll put them in the new mustang.
More of a gen 3.5.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
21 is brand new. I should hope it will take at least a couple years for the horror stories to start.

Man, this is too bad. First we get the direct injection and cheap plasma wire transfer arc cylinder liners... now auto stop start and cylinder deactivation? The Coyote really went downhill.

I know this is just a rumor at this point, but it's a very believable rumor to me. Sad, but believable.
Plasma arc wire transfer is great when used in a vacuum or in small production projects. I think major issues from the gen 3 came from the fact they outsourced it plus they went to a semi open deck block that loves to move around because of the 12:1 compression, and the need to properly cool the pistons. The rather sad truth is because most people don’t have access too good or they just run regular 87 forced fords hand in that situation but then again did they need to go to 12:1 probably not Ferrari did some very major modifications to the 458 speciale with 14:1 compression. You don’t hear any major horror stories related to knock or melted pistons same with my Ducati streetfighter V4 14:1 and will run on 91 without much fuss.

What this all comes down too is the coyote platform is really really being stretch out at this point lol

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Plasma arc wire transfer is great when used in a vacuum or in small production projects. I think major issues from the gen 3 came from the fact they outsourced it plus they went to a semi open deck block that loves to move around because of the 12:1 compression, and the need to properly cool the pistons. The rather sad truth is because most people don’t have access too good or they just run regular 87 forced fords hand in that situation but then again did they need to go to 12:1 probably not Ferrari did some very major modifications to the 458 speciale with 14:1 compression. You don’t hear any major horror stories related to knock or melted pistons same with my Ducati streetfighter V4 14:1 and will run on 91 without much fuss.

What this all comes down too is the coyote platform is really really being stretch out at this point lol
PTWA makes the engine cheaper to build, for sure. I don't think there's any benefit to the end user. It makes the block a throwaway (or at least much more expensive to "rebuild").

I agree Ford is overly conservative with their tunes and octane rating. My Toybaru has to have 91 and they recommend 93. So I found a place to gas up with 93. Not really that big of a deal. I'd definitely pay the money to fill the Mustang with 93 in exchange for more power.
Sponsored