• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

What are you cross shopping?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1

JAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Not only am I taking a serious look at the 2024 Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack Mustang, I am also cross shopping the BMW M240i XDrive. The only colors that interest me as far as the BMW, are Portimao Blue and Thundernight Metallic. Anyone else cross shopping/wishing at the same time?

1678300754561.png

1678300876336.png

1678301012068.png

1678301185474.png

1678301302682.png

Versus the 2022 Mach 1 Mustang - which is by all accounts except on track, much slower.

1678301542572.png

1678300734830.png
I don't understand how the BMW can possibly be faster on straight line tests with 100hp and 50tq less, same weight, and narrower tires. It makes no sense. Did the mustang have a poor driver and the BMW an exceptionally good one? Or was it the gearbox that made the difference ? I don't understand how this is possible

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I don't understand how the BMW can possibly be faster on straight line tests with 100hp and 50tq less, same weight, and narrower tires. It makes no sense. Did the mustang have a poor driver and the BMW an exceptionally good one? Or was it the gearbox that made the difference ? I don't understand how this is possible
1. BMWs are underrated
2. AWD/xDrive
3. BMW does in fact make "the ultimate driving machine" (I've never owned a BMW)

MJS54

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 Corvette Cpe, '18 Lexus ES 350, '23 Bronco Spt
I think the performance pack is a great deal on the GT, but is should include the active valve exhaust (quad tips)...would make more sense...then just the plain single dual exhausts.

OP
OP
Baldilocks

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium California Special
The quoted HP for the M240i XDrive is pretty much at the wheels, so it makes way more power than advertised. The AWD makes super quick launches possible and the ZF Auto is much better than either of the transmissions Ford offers.

Last edited:

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The quoted HP for the M240i XDrive is pretty much at the wheels, so it makes way more power than advertised. The AWD makes super quick launches possible and the ZF Auto is much better than either of the transmissions Ford offers.

^^^This^^^

The 8spd ZF tranny is really a much better transmission than the 10R80. I know a lot of people don't want to hear this, but Ford needs to hear this. Not quite as quick when manually shifting as a BMW DCT or Porsche PDK but darn close.

The issue I had with the M240i is the lack of a manual transmission. It used to be just a few short years ago you could get a manual in almost all of BMW models, now just with the M cars.

OP
OP
Baldilocks

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^^^This^^^

The 8spd ZF tranny is really a much better transmission than the 10R80. I know a lot of people don't want to hear this, but Ford needs to hear this. Not quite as quick when manually shifting as a BMW DCT or Porsche PDK but darn close.

The issue I had with the M240i is the lack of a manual transmission. It used to be just a few short years ago you could get a manual in almost all of BMW models, now just with the M cars.
Unfortunately, BMW manuals haven't been good for quite a while anyway. The manual in the current M2 is lackluster at best, I would say not even as good as the MT-82.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately, BMW manuals haven't been good for quite a while anyway. The manual in the current M2 is lackluster at best, I would say not even as good as the MT-82.
'

Its not that the manual isn't any good its still the same sloppy shifter they have had in the car since the E46 days. As someone who drove a manual E92M3 for over a decade, I learned to like it.

I drove the G87 M2, I love the car.

Killshot58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Premium GT, Vapor Blue, Nite Pony Pkg
10 speed from GM is much better tuned than from Ford, no question. But you buy the 1LE for the 6-speed. Automatics... the nerve of some people. /SMH

And you couldn't GIVE me a A10 Mustang, that trans tuning is such a pile of shit it's beyond disgusting.

Wow...that's kind of harsh! My A10 seems to be working OK. Can someone here enlighten me as to why the AT is "such a pile of shit" ?

OP
OP
Baldilocks

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow...that's kind of harsh! My A10 seems to be working OK. Can someone here enlighten me as to why the AT is "such a pile of shit" ?
Works fine for me but I primarily use the paddles, so.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not shit, it's just the 8 spd ZF transmission in the BMW has some better characteristics.

OP
OP
Baldilocks

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not shit, it's just the 8 spd ZF transmission in the BMW has some better characteristics.
Yes, and 10, I think, is way too many. I guess they are added for fuel economy .
Sponsored