• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Cross shopping Dark Horse with C8/M4

Mustang406

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
Anyone else cross shopping a DH with a C8 or M4? Or am I the only one thinking the DH is not a bargain performer at it's price point? 78k can get me into a 2024 C8 Z51. Unless you absolutely have to have a manual how are these other 2 not better options?
Sponsored

RebelMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Bullitt
If you bleed Ford blue, the choice is easy. :wink:

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
I’d go straight to the M4, and I LOVE my GT… but it was 40 grand… M’s were like 80.

RebelMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Bullitt
I’d go straight to the M4, and I LOVE my GT… but it was 40 grand… M’s were like 80.
Even with that front end? I think the M2 hits the sweet spot though and is probably a closer match to the OP comparison. That said, I still wouldn't part with my pony. No M can touch its vocals.

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
It’s not about the front end… it’s about that S80 motor…

they’re INSANELY fast with mods….Only the M4…. M2 isn’t a beast.

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, PP - Race Red
When I was a kid/teenager I loved the Corvettes. As I’ve gotten older my likes have changed to more of a muscle car style versus sports car. The C8 is an absolutely great car from everything I hear, and if someone gave me one, I’d happily take and drive it. However, it’s just not what I’d choose from a style standpoint. I’d prefer a C7 from a looks standpoint. If I was looking for a car to track, then it’s a different story, but I want something that I like looking at and enjoy getting in and driving. That is the Mustang over the C7 or C8 Corvette for me.

Now the M4 question. I actually prefer the M3. I know, essentially the same car with 4 doors, but I like the look better. I would take an M3 over the Mustang from both a looks a performance standpoint. So many talk about how ugly the front end is, but I love it. I guess my style choices are just all around weird, but I would pick the M3/M4 from a looks standpoint because of the front end, not in spite of it. I had a 24 M3 Competition on order. It was $103,145 MSRP. I just couldn’t ever get comfortable with spending that kind of money on a car. I love my Mustang with its $60k MSRP, and have no regrets, but if we were talking the same money, I’d be in the M3. The M3 starts at $76k MSRP, but I would not get one without it being exactly what I wanted and that pushed it over $100k. I configured my Mustang exactly how I wanted it for $60k. Big difference, and I’m very happy with the car for what I spent on it.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr

Rocket Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2024 GT (soon)
And good luck getting that Z51 for that price without waiting 6 months to a year.

RaceRedder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse HP
When I was a kid/teenager I loved the Corvettes. As I’ve gotten older my likes have changed to more of a muscle car style versus sports car. The C8 is an absolutely great car from everything I hear, and if someone gave me one, I’d happily take and drive it. However, it’s just not what I’d choose from a style standpoint. I’d prefer a C7 from a looks standpoint. If I was looking for a car to track, then it’s a different story, but I want something that I like looking at and enjoy getting in and driving. That is the Mustang over the C7 or C8 Corvette for me.

Now the M4 question. I actually prefer the M3. I know, essentially the same car with 4 doors
M3 has 2 or 4 doors
M4 also has 2 or 4 doors

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
None of these cars are in the same price category or really even similar so this question kinda pointless.
Mustang DH ~65k, 4 seats 2 door coupe w/ a loud V8 and good storage & space for daily driving.
Corvette Z51 ~78k, 2 seats 2 door coupe w/ a V8 and dual clutch transmission w/ minimal usability.
M4 ~85k, 4 seats 2/4 door sedan/coupe w/ a farty V6 and a perfected chassis. Good storage & space for a daily.

The price differences here is ~20k from top to bottom. Here's why I went with a mustang: I wanted all the BMW safety features (adaptive cruise with stop&go, auto steer, etc.) with a big V8. The m4 is nice but once you add the all packages you want, it's almost twice the price of a loaded GT. DH is def overpriced from a "on paper" perspective, but it will certainly pay itself back when selling.

OP
OP
Mustang406

Mustang406

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
None of these cars are in the same price category or really even similar so this question kinda pointless.
Mustang DH ~65k, 4 seats 2 door coupe w/ a loud V8 and good storage & space for daily driving.
Corvette Z51 ~78k, 2 seats 2 door coupe w/ a V8 and dual clutch transmission w/ minimal usability.
M4 ~85k, 4 seats 2/4 door sedan/coupe w/ a farty V6 and a perfected chassis. Good storage & space for a daily.

The price differences here is ~20k from top to bottom. Here's why I went with a mustang: I wanted all the BMW safety features (adaptive cruise with stop&go, auto steer, etc.) with a big V8. The m4 is nice but once you add the all packages you want, it's almost twice the price of a loaded GT. DH is def overpriced from a "on paper" perspective, but it will certainly pay itself back when selling.
On Ford website: Darkhorse premium handling pack with no other options is 71k. A non optioned M4 is 75k C8 Z51 is 76k. Yes they absolutely are in the same price range. If you think this topic is pointless that's fine. But they all are within 6k in price. And before you say "DH base is blah blah" the C8 and M4 come base similar equipped as a DH premium. As far as resale, DH isn't holding value like a Shelby because it isn't a Shelby. Don't fool yourself. Resale value of a DH over a GT will be minimal.

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I shared some thoughts and now you're upset over it lmao. If you want the DH get it, if you don't then don't.

Again though, a base M4, a 1LZ Z51, and DH w/ or w/o the handling pack are not comparable. Not in price, nor in driving dynamics, nor in features.
You're picking between luxury, performance, or a blend of the two. Pick your poison

Edit: just remember you're not actually going to buy a base M4 or a 1LZ vette : )
Sponsored