• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Cross shopping Dark Horse with C8/M4

OP
OP
Mustang406

Mustang406

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
I shared some thoughts and now you're upset over it lmao. If you want the DH get it, if you don't then don't.

Again though, a base M4, a 1LZ Z51, and DH w/ or w/o the handling pack are not comparable. Not in price, nor in driving dynamics, nor in features.
You're picking between luxury, performance, or a blend of the two. Pick your poison

Edit: just remember you're not actually going to buy a base M4 or a 1LZ vette : )
Not upset. You are welcome to voice your opinion. Simply saying that C8 is widely available and usually no ADM (unless Z06). DH is close in price already without even factoring in ADM. And yes I can by a 1LT Vette lol.
Sponsored

Rapid_RedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT
Anyone else cross shopping a DH with a C8 or M4? Or am I the only one thinking the DH is not a bargain performer at it's price point? 78k can get me into a 2024 C8 Z51. Unless you absolutely have to have a manual how are these other 2 not better options?
I mean, it's no secret that the C8 and M4 are better options when compared that way. I came from a C8 Corvette, to my current 24 GT. I KNEW that I was gonna get less performance, but I wanted to get into a car that is more fun to drive. I found that since I wanted to get a manual, I didn't think twice about. I've ran mustangs in my C8, and I smoked them off the line and sometimes from a roll. But I learned that I still was not having as much fun, so I sold it and ordered my GT. Glad I did, because with some money...you can be faster. When it comes to the DH, I've always said it was a waste of money, and totally not worth it. Those who ordered a GT with a performance pack, pretty much have a DH. The DH is nice, but really it's just about bragging rights when I see people talking about how it's so much better than a GT. In the end, it's gonna come down to what you want to feel, when you drive. I can say, I am happier with my GT over my C8, by a long shot. This is true, only because it's a manual. Oh yeah, let's not forget the Camaro ZL1...totally worth it over the DH.

OP
OP
Mustang406

Mustang406

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
I mean, it's no secret that the C8 and M4 are better options when compared that way. I came from a C8 Corvette, to my current 24 GT. I KNEW that I was gonna get less performance, but I wanted to get into a car that is more fun to drive. I found that since I wanted to get a manual, I didn't think twice about. I've ran mustangs in my C8, and I smoked them off the line and sometimes from a roll. But I learned that I still was not having as much fun, so I sold it and ordered my GT. Glad I did, because with some money...you can be faster. When it comes to the DH, I've always said it was a waste of money, and totally not worth it. Those who ordered a GT with a performance pack, pretty much have a DH. The DH is nice, but really it's just about bragging rights when I see people talking about how it's so much better than a GT. In the end, it's gonna come down to what you want to feel, when you drive. I can say, I am happier with my GT over my C8, by a long shot. This is true, only because it's a manual. Oh yeah, let's not forget the Camaro ZL1...totally worth it over the DH.
The no manual option is the only reason I haven't made a decision yet.

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The DH is nice, but really it's just about bragging rights when I see people talking about how it's so much better than a GT.
I would tend to agree, however, for those that actually do track the cars, the added coolers are nice to have. Not that you can't track a GT, of course (I tracked my 2015 mutiple times).

The GT350 was a significant step up from the GT of the time, but when it got replaced by the Mach 1 and Dark Horse, the gap has been narrowed. Even if the Mach 1 and DH perform similarly (or maybe better) than a GT350, the fact that the GT350 has a completely different engine makes it a much more special car, IMO, and helped justify the price gap to the GT. The M1 and DH are slightly tarted up GTs. Great cars, yes, but worth the price gap? Eh, it's up to the individual buyer. I don't have an S650 yet and I waffle back and forth beween a GT and a DH.

jboogie1289

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Oxford White Mustang GT w/ PP, AE & NPP Pkg
I would tend to agree, however, for those that actually do track the cars, the added coolers are nice to have. Not that you can't track a GT, of course (I tracked my 2015 mutiple times).

The GT350 was a significant step up from the GT of the time, but when it got replaced by the Mach 1 and Dark Horse, the gap has been narrowed. Even if the Mach 1 and DH perform similarly (or maybe better) than a GT350, the fact that the GT350 has a completely different engine makes it a much more special car, IMO, and helped justify the price gap to the GT. The M1 and DH are slightly tarted up GTs. Great cars, yes, but worth the price gap? Eh, it's up to the individual buyer. I don't have an S650 yet and I waffle back and forth beween a GT and a DH.
Well said and I’m in complete agreement with you. I wanted an S650 badly but wanted it in my own Spec. Didn’t want to order cause it was a want and not a need plus my S550 was plenty enough for me. In the end, I found an S650 that checked 5 out of the 7 req’s for the Spec that I wanted and I’m ok with that. The DH just seemed drummed up for that extra $$ unless you’re doing the Handling Pkg and even then, if you aren’t gonna track it you’re just wasting $$$. To each his own but I’m now a FULL TIME MUSTANG GT fanatic and won’t stray from them. And I’ve had 3 Porsche’s in my time and was at a fork in the road for a 911 Carrera. Chose the Mustang GT instead and haven’t regretted it one time.

💪🏽💪🏽💪🏽

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT
Anyone else cross shopping a DH with a C8 or M4? Or am I the only one thinking the DH is not a bargain performer at it's price point? 78k can get me into a 2024 C8 Z51. Unless you absolutely have to have a manual how are these other 2 not better options?
If you have a specific level of performance, I can't help you. If you are looking for the most fun you will not beat the DH clutch, V8, exhaust, and Tremec IMO. Plus the DH arguable handles better than the M4.

RebelMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Bullitt
It’s not about the front end… it’s about that S80 motor…

they’re INSANELY fast with mods….Only the M4…. M2 isn’t a beast.
For me, I got to have both in equal doses, but I hear ya.

Jays Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse
And I’ve had 3 Porsche’s in my time and was at a fork in the road for a 911 Carrera. Chose the Mustang GT instead and haven’t regretted it one time.
I chose the DH over the 911 as well. I chose dh over the gt just because of the upgrades to the engine and the HP but the the GT is a fantastic car obviously.

Also seeing how I was willing to spend a $160k on the nine eleven.. Spending 72k on a DH was negligible when comparing it to the G T's price.

RebelMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Bullitt
When it comes to the DH, I've always said it was a waste of money, and totally not worth it. Those who ordered a GT with a performance pack, pretty much have a DH. The DH is nice, but really it's just about bragging rights when I see people talking about how it's so much better than a GT.

Oh yeah, let's not forget the Camaro ZL1...totally worth it over the DH.
I think you have been grossly misinformed about the DH vs GT and much of it comes down to one word... TREMEC!

As for the 1LE, yeah you get a lot for the money, no question. The problem is nobody likes to drive a bunker. It's demise is proof positive.

RebelMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Bullitt

Rapid_RedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT
I think you have been grossly misinformed about the DH vs GT and much of it comes down to one word... TREMEC!

As for the 1LE, yeah you get a lot for the money, no question. The problem is nobody likes to drive a bunker. It's demise is proof positive.
I have not been misinformed, that's my opinion. If you love it, cool...but that is my take on the DH. Your comment is mostly based on the fact that you bought the DH, which is cool. But be open to reality, MOST of, I mean nearly 99% of people buy the DH are NOT gonna use as a track car. Simply put. But, in the end...I respect your take on it...

OP
OP
Mustang406

Mustang406

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
I have not been misinformed, that's my opinion. If you love it, cool...but that is my take on the DH. Your comment is mostly based on the fact that you bought the DH, which is cool. But be open to reality, MOST of, I mean nearly 99% of people buy the DH are NOT gonna use as a track car. Simply put. But, in the end...I respect your take on it...
The tremec alone is enough for most to upgrade to the DH. I haven't driven the latest MT-82 my last one was a 2015 version.

Drewmandoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang DH
BMWs are notoriously expensive to fix outside of warranty. I personally don't like their rough ride, but aside from that, a Vette WOULD be nice, but i needed rear seats :)

RebelMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Bullitt
Opinions are not relevant here. The fact is the DH is a better car. To say the GT PP1 is equivalent to a DH is like saying the DH is equivalent a DH w/HP... they're not... and it would be delusional to claim so. Furthermore, to say that DH purchasers are braggards is like saying GT purchasers are unfortunate and neither can be assumed.

I like BOTH the GT and the DH but for very different reasons. The GT offers more customizable options, but the DH offers the TREMEC and I put a higher premium on the latter. Had the GT offered the TREMEC I may have gone in a different direction, but in so doing I wouldn't claim that my GT PP1 is like a DH, because it isn't.

Like you I suspect most DH owners will not have the opportunity to track their car, but I am sure if they could, they would (at least try it). I certainly don't plan to. However, I would most certainly love to take advantage of the Dark Horse Track Attack program and I am going to try to if for no other reason than to experience it.

Opinion or not it is rude for you to put down another Mustang enthusiast's choices simply because they don't align with yours. You've got a nice car as do I. That is where it begins and that is where it ends.
Sponsored

Last edited: