• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Wait for S650 2023MY?

MoosetangGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Just graduated this year and moved to a new place for my job. Can finally afford to buy a Mustang GT but am stuck on whether or not to wait for the refresh.

Reasons To Buy Now:

1. No car right now.
2. Well tested model shouldn't be too many QC issues.
3. Love how the current exterior looks.

Reasons to Wait:

1. AWD v8 Hybrid/ HP improvements
2. Current interior is okay but could use an upgrade on the base GT.

Mostly I'm worried about QC issues since it'll be the first MY of the s650. If that isn't likely to be a problem I don't mind waiting a year that much.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
I have gone with buying one now, as it’s likely to be mid to late 2023 for the S650 at the earliest and this could easily drift further with delays and how things are at the moment. Who knows what it’s going to look like and what price they are going to charge for it, this way you can enjoy one now and see how the S650 develops and then make another decision in a couple of years if you want to change or stick with what you have, that’s my plan, would also think the S550 would be more reliable than a new S650 and a lot easier to fix

OP
OP

MoosetangGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I have gone with buying one now, as it’s likely to be mid to late 2023 for the S650 at the earliest and this could easily drift further with delays and how things are at the moment. Who knows what it’s going to look like and what price they are going to charge for it, this way you can enjoy one now and see how the S650 develops and then make another decision in a couple of years if you want to change or stick with what you have, that’s my plan, would also think the S550 would be more reliable than a new S650 and a lot easier to fix
Did you custom order a 2022 or pick up a 2021 from a dealer or are you referring to your the 2019 in your profile?

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
Did you custom order a 2022 or pick up a 2021 from a dealer or are you referring to your the 2019 in your profile?
Custom ordered a 2022, still have the 2019, fingers crossed should be built early next year 👍

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
Nice congrats man. What color did you go for and were you able to get the $1000 off for the custom order?
I am in the U.K. originally ordered Eruption Green but Ford cancelled that 😢 as we have new noise regulations coming in July 2022 and manuals will not pass that as this colour was not starting production early enough to be built, shipped and registered before that date, so had to change to Atlas Blue, fingers crossed they build this one quickly, also got a very good deal on it 😎

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Ordering one is the way to go. Never settle for what's on the lot. Nobody but Ford and transportation employees will be able to abuse your car so no worries of a test driver joy riding it before you buy it full price. Cost me exactly $0 more to order my car. The only real downside is the wait. Shortages may happen to extend that wait. It's really up to you if you want something immediately or not. Then the question is if you don't mind waiting for an ordered car, why not wait longer for the new hotness? Spoiler alert, there will ALWAYS be the new new just over the horizon. I vote get what you want now as long as it doesn't break the bank and start enjoying those smiles per mile. As said, you can always trade to a S650 later even after it's been out a few years so you'll know what to expect QC wise.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
I would wait. Official reveal might most like be around summer. So the chance for buyers remorse could be huge if you like the S650. And if the new model is revealed the prices for the old model might drop a good amount since dealers want to clear their lots.

Also the S550 is showing it's age in the interior, I am really looking forward to what Ford will upgrade.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I would wait. Official reveal might most like be around summer. So the chance for buyers remorse could be huge if you like the S650. And if the new model is revealed the prices for the old model might drop a good amount since dealers want to clear their lots.

Also the S550 is showing it's age in the interior, I am really looking forward to what Ford will upgrade.
That's fair and I can get behind it. The reason my stance is the opposite is summed up in 2 experiences. Bought a 2011 GT500...then saw the BOSS 302 and wanted it more. Ordered and bought my 2019 GT...then saw the Mach 1 and want it more. Obviously happy with both purchases and nothing to complain about. The new new is ALWAYS right around the corner. All we can do is the best we can with what's provided at that given time. Tomorrow doesn't always come, and sometimes it's also not as great. It's a roll of the dice either way. It also helps that the S550 imo is the best mustang to date. There's not really a bad answer.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
That's fair and I can get behind it. The reason my stance is the opposite is summed up in 2 experiences. Bought a 2011 GT500...then saw the BOSS 302 and wanted it more. Ordered and bought my 2019 GT...then saw the Mach 1 and want it more. Obviously happy with both purchases and nothing to complain about. The new new is ALWAYS right around the corner. All we can do is the best we can with what's provided at that given time. Tomorrow doesn't always come, and sometimes it's also not as great. It's a roll of the dice either way. It also helps that the S550 imo is the best mustang to date. There's not really a bad answer.
Hm, I really like the Mach 1, but demanding about 20k€ more than a regular GT instantly killed my interest (combined with the as always horribly tuned down european version which even lacks the Torsen Diff). I am not quite a fan of the yearly special editions the carmakers release, you can mod your own car way better for less money.

You can already pretty safely bet that there will be GT350 style version of the S650 1-2 years after launch and GT500 at the end of the lifecycle. So if you are looking for more than you a GT, you shouldn't buy a GT first.

Of course buying a S550 is still fine, it's a great car even though they became really expansive since the refresh. That's my biggest fear with the S650, that Ford still think they can act like being a premium brand with their Mustang models. But at least what I hear here in Germany the Mach 1 is really not selling well because of the price, so Ford hopefully does not put the new GT model in the same price region.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
You can already pretty safely bet that there will be GT350 style version of the S650 1-2 years after launch and GT500 at the end of the lifecycle.
This is what interests me most - S650 GT350 - mostly because I'm extremely curious as to how they're going to pull it off. The bar was set so high with the Voodoo (both metaphorically and in terms of RPM). So what are they going to do with an S650 GT350 (if they make one at all)? Beef up the Coyote even more to get a couple hundred more RPM out of it, bringing it closer to 8k? It's going to be an interesting ride.

OP
OP

MoosetangGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Looking the comments here I'm even more conflicted now. If they have a v8 hybrid with a revamped interior launch at relatively the same price(+/- 5k) I'm going to probably have some buyers remorse :/ but if its the same v8 with a new exterior and revamped interior I'd be happier buying a 22 MY now. I'll see if I can get a good deal on the 22 MY if not I may just wait if I'm going to end up paying only like 5-10% below MSRP for a 22'.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
This is what interests me most - S650 GT350 - mostly because I'm extremely curious as to how they're going to pull it off. The bar was set so high with the Voodoo (both metaphorically and in terms of RPM). So what are they going to do with an S650 GT350 (if they make one at all)? Beef up the Coyote even more to get a couple hundred more RPM out of it, bringing it closer to 8k? It's going to be an interesting ride.
I thought that it's almost confirmed that there won't be another Voodoo Gt350.Too many problems with the engine...

I'll bet my a$$ that there will be another high performance Mustang but I'm not sure if they would call it a Shelby. If they have a regular Coyote GT they might want to electrify that same engine. ~480hp Coyote V8 + 100-200hp hybrid system AWD and there you have your new "GT350" without the Shelby royalties.

I would buy one for around 60k if it's fully loaded...
However, I think that they're rather selling for 65+, excluding options...

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
I'd wait for the s650. Yes, it's a new model, but if it just uses a carry over s550 chassis and powertrains with some tweaks, reliability shouldn't be an issue. Kinda like how the maverick has been pretty reliable out of the gate, because it uses already proven tech. The s550 is a great car, but their values will almost certainly decrease with the release of the s650. So it might be smarter to wait, and snap up a s550 that's a few months, or a year old once the s650 releases, that's if you still want a s550. Personally, I'm a design fanatic, so I'm really looking forward to seeing the s650's exterior design, should be awesome.
Sponsored