• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Thoughts on the Dark Horse Name

Chadillac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'96 Mustang GT, '73 El Camino, '12 Mazdaspeed3
What do we all think about Ford's decision to call the S650 Boss 302 a "Dark Horse" instead? Do we think it's silly and/or unnecessary?
It’s funny because if Ford called this a Boss the other half of the ppl on this forum would be making these exact same posts…
I do think “Dark Horse” is kinda cheesy. They should’ve just called it the “Mustang FP500” (Ford Performance 500). A nod to the old FR500 track models. That would’ve been cooler to me.
Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
That is the beauty of the name Dark Horse , no one knows exactly what it is about. I think it is great to come out with a name like Dark Horse that has already captivated non car people. Lets see how the new generation takes the name Dark Horse and runs with it.

mjr1989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack
It seems a bit try-hard to me. Edgy for the sake of being edgy. The logo is the worst aspect to me. It doesn't say Mustang at all. It's more in line with the Mopar branding, similar to the Hellcat/Demon logos. It just feels forced to me. The actual vehicle itself and the specs are impressive, but the name and logo don't get me excited. I think that Ford should have kept the Mach 1 name for this.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
To paraphrase Jason Cammisa who was either quoting or paraphrasing Shelby in reference to why the name of the GT350 wasnt important: "If its a good car, the name won't matter and if its a bad car, the name won't save it."
I think this is a really bad take. Selling a car needs a catchy name. It doesn't take much car sales knowledge to see that one of Dodges key reason that their market share grew in the last few years with absolutely not technical advances is their marketing including the model names. Hellcat, Demon, Redeye, it's easy to remember and easily tells it has power.

In comparison try to get someone exited about Chevy models with ZL1, ZL1 1LE, Z/28, Z51, Z06, Z06 with Z07, etc. Or just the fact that they have a 1LT and a LT1 Camaro model at the same time, wtf.

A name matters. The Challenger Hellcat is easily a worse car than a GT500 or ZL1, it's slower, handles horribly worse, but yet it's selling extremly well.

Ford has a known name with Shelby for higher models, but it's safe to say that their "Performance Package 2" was a horrible attempt to sell a track focused GT package, and the Mach 1 didn't really hit the spot in terms of hype and was badly timed when you sell a BEV SUV named Mustang Mach-E.

So the Dark Horse name with the Hellcat-inspired emblem is a great move. From what I saw in the last years only a handful of Mustang-diehard-fans were really excited for a Bullitt or Mach 1 and willed to pay so much more for these cars, but now tons of people are saying they really want the DH and not just the GT for Gen 7.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I think this is a really bad take. Selling a car needs a catchy name. It doesn't take much car sales knowledge to see that one of Dodges key reason that their market share grew in the last few years with absolutely not technical advances is their marketing including the model names. Hellcat, Demon, Redeye, it's easy to remember and easily tells it has power.

In comparison try to get someone exited about Chevy models with ZL1, ZL1 1LE, Z/28, Z51, Z06, Z06 with Z07, etc. Or just the fact that they have a 1LT and a LT1 Camaro model at the same time, wtf.

A name matters. The Challenger Hellcat is easily a worse car than a GT500 or ZL1, it's slower, handles horribly worse, but yet it's selling extremly well.

Ford has a known name with Shelby for higher models, but it's safe to say that their "Performance Package 2" was a horrible attempt to sell a track focused GT package, and the Mach 1 didn't really hit the spot in terms of hype and was badly timed when you sell a BEV SUV named Mustang Mach-E.

So the Dark Horse name with the Hellcat-inspired emblem is a great move. From what I saw in the last years only a handful of Mustang-diehard-fans were really excited for a Bullitt or Mach 1 and willed to pay so much more for these cars, but now tons of people are saying they really want the DH and not just the GT for Gen 7.
Well said. Also want to hammer home just how awful Chevy’s model designation is.

1LT/2LT/3LT = V6 trims

LT1/1SS/2SS = V8 trims

LT1 = their V8’s codename

1LE is a separate trim and package on top of this

So ridiculous.

GM has horrible packaging designations and it extends into their modern history of Cadillac name botchery.

Ford should be leaning heavily into their Ford Performance and SVT merger nameplate imo.

NegativeMultiplier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Ford should be leaning heavily into their Ford Performance and SVT merger nameplate imo.
If Ford is trying to market this to younger buyers I'm not sure SVT is the way to go. That feels like a 90s-early 00s nameplate.

Leaning into FP may not be an option either if they're saving the Shelby nameplate for something more ludicrous, ST and RS don't make any sense on this kind of car obviously, Mach 1 and Boss come across as expensive names from the past, while good options. I think Ford is right in doing something new, Dark Horse has just the right amount of "bad omen" to it while not being obnoxious like the MOPAR titles.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
If Ford is trying to market this to younger buyers I'm not sure SVT is the way to go. That feels like a 90s-early 00s nameplate.

Leaning into FP may not be an option either if they're saving the Shelby nameplate for something more ludicrous, ST and RS don't make any sense on this kind of car obviously, Mach 1 and Boss come across as expensive names from the past, while good options. I think Ford is right in doing something new, Dark Horse has just the right amount of "bad omen" to it while not being obnoxious like the MOPAR titles.
Well I thought SVT was absorbed into Ford Performance, right? But I get your point. If Ford could market the Ford Performance name in a different way they could create recognizable separation… like an FP GT. I dunno. Don’t want to sound like a broken record about the d-horse (can’t stop me though, hehe).

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang 4-Turbo w/Pony package
Drive, movement and velocity. Mach 1, Bullitt, Hellcat, have all three of those prominently displayed within the name, oozing out of it .... Darkhorse does not. It just doesn't get the juices going. DH by definition 'unexpectedly' wins or succeeds. Why? The Mustang with its fast, well known name and pedigree within the auto world should by EXPECTED to win and succeed ... period!

Change the name.

I am now stepping off my soapbox. Out!

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive

I partly disagree. I do think that the Dark Horse is a great name for a Mustang. It fits right into the picture and should’ve been used much earlier. If DH had a heritage everyone would love the name but unfortunately it doesn’t… I think the naming competition was much harder back then (a fast car that might reach Mach 1?! Or a car as fast as a Bullitt, shot from a cool dude in a decent movie?!)…
Anyhow, I think Mach 1 and especially Bullitt were rather dumb names that only worked because of their heritage in their second or third runs… Besides, who else knows the movie these days? No one I know of and that’s somewhat problematic if you want to attract new and younger buyers…
Dark Horse on the other side has a direct horse connection and it fit’s the expression. I don’t like the badge though… Looks almost exactly like a Dodge spare part and rather uninspiring, chubby and lame. Just the head would’ve worked much better in my opinion.

Another reason why the Bullitt and the Mach 1 were not fan favorites in terms of sales is the GT350. Priced just slightly above it would the GT350 offer much, much more value, a better and more exiting engine - it revs up to 8500 and had 525hp – and an upgraded interior, besides its several mechanical upgrades like the Tremec. Nowadays a GT350 would probably cost around 75-80K but back then it was only around 60K and an absolute no-brainer compared to the other two options.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
Drive, movement and velocity. Mach 1, Bullitt, Hellcat, have all three of those prominently displayed within the name, oozing out of it .... Darkhorse does not. It just doesn't get the juices going. DH by definition 'unexpectedly' wins or succeeds. Why? The Mustang with its fast, well known name and pedigree within the auto world should by EXPECTED to win and succeed ... period!

Change the name.

I am now stepping off my soapbox. Out!
Except that it's a budget car that offers performance way above its price tag – at least in theory. That’s why DH is almost perfect in any given way. It has a perfect connection to horses, it punches way above its way class and is the underdog compared to much more expensive performance cars. If you compare a Ferrari and a Ford who would you expect to win?

--> That’s why it’s called Dark Horse.