• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Thoughts on the Dark Horse Name

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
To me the ONLY way that "Dark Horse" would not be lame would be if it was literally the LAST v8 Mustang that Ford was making and they are throwing EVERYTHING they have at it as a last Hurrah. Like, if it was they took the GT500, punched it out to a 5.4L, upped the boost, CF wheels with 315 on all 4 corners, and all the aluminum panels they can make at the time to cut weight, and handles better than any other v8 Mustang ever made.

To me THAT would justify the name.
This x100000000000009
Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT
I think Ford should have just left the traditional name with the ICE models. Then maybe the EV models can get the cheesy names.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
When I initially heard the name "Dark Horse" I wasn't sure if I liked it, but after seeing the car I don't think I can imagine any other name. I love the logo, and this is really just an extension of the legendary Boss and Mach 1 names. We just love Boss and Mach 1 because it reminds us of some great Mustangs. I think Dark Horse is destined for the same collector status years down the road and will be anothe great Mustang, but I guess only time will tell...

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 2022 MT
To me the ONLY way that "Dark Horse" would not be lame would be if it was literally the LAST v8 Mustang that Ford was making and they are throwing EVERYTHING they have at it as a last Hurrah. Like, if it was they took the GT500, punched it out to a 5.4L, upped the boost, CF wheels with 315 on all 4 corners, and all the aluminum panels they can make at the time to cut weight, and handles better than any other v8 Mustang ever made.

To me THAT would justify the name.
I think that you just described the Night Mare, another crowdsourced entry with the right mix of wit and gravitas.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1
I don't like the Dork Horse as a name. Its trying way to hard, and doesn't do anything to improve the design of the interior.
It’s what happens when you have children running marketing in a major auto manufacturer with no automotive background whatsoever. I just read that Fords chief marketing officer since 11/21 is from EBay the worlds bargain basement. Take what you may from that.

Last edited:

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Performance Pack
I think the name is awesome. Seems like something they should've thrown into the lineup a long time ago. I'm not terribly fond of the logo though. If I were to get one, I'd debadge it immediately.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I think that you just described the Night Mare, another crowdsourced entry with the right mix of wit and gravitas.
You mean we got D-Horse over this? What crowd did they survey… Fortnite kids?

Where tf are these crowds and how do I get in lol

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
Incredibly. This is the problem with revealing a car 18 months before it goes on sale.
Ford: "here's the 2024 Mustang, it doesn't start production until next year and we don't even have the 2023 build and price out yet lol"
Also Ford: "oh hey here's the '23 Super Duty, build and price coming soon. Oh yeah, and here's the '23 Escape, build and price available right now"
doin some solid work, Ford

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
The more I hear Dark Horse , the more I like the name. I applaud Ford for coming out with a new Mustang model. I have been wanting Ford to come out with a new Mustang model for a long time. I have liked all the heritage Mustang models Ford has brought back , but I wanted Ford to create a new legend. All the heritage Mustang models have put Ford in a box. Ford was not allowed to create something different with the heritage models. Now Ford has a new Mustang model they can go in any direction they want without being hampered by the past. Ford appears to want to push the performance envelope of the Mustang with the Dark Horse. Ford looks to give the Dark Horse a real performance and racing image. It looks like Ford is going to create a modern day legend.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 GT vert A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 6MT
Everybody has an opinion and they’re worth no more than just that.

Mine is this: no matter how good the car is, the moniker “Dark Horse” is lame. Or, in the vernacular of my young grandson, wame.

Maybe it’s an age thing IDK. But there are so many historically significant Mustang related names they could have used. It probably won’t be the reason for someone not buying the car but still, it’s wame.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP2 Kona Blue 2015 Focus Titanium
Dark Horse will carry a whole new meaning and the meme's with it the 1st time someone posts a picture of one on fire ... and you know it will happen.

I personally think its a stupid name, but who am I to decide.

seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT
To paraphrase Jason Cammisa who was either quoting or paraphrasing Shelby in reference to why the name of the GT350 wasnt important: "If its a good car, the name won't matter and if its a bad car, the name won't save it."

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Nothing wrong with creating a new legend. Give the Dark Horse a couple of years and we shall know what kind of performance legend it becomes.
Sponsored