• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

They HAVE to ditch the MT-82 this time around, right?

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT Premium w/PP, 401A, A10, Magna Ride, AWE Touring Exhaust, Edelbrock Stage 2 Supercharger.
Right. Please!!
Sponsored

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
Any chance that they use the 7 speed manual, like the Tremec in the Bronco?
I know in my car, a 2014, the rpm drop between 5th (1:1) and 6th is huge, and it happens to be right where you are at rpm wise on the freeway. If that 6th gear was made a little lower (same rpm drop as gears 1-4) and a second OD was added that was a little higher than the original 6th gear, I think that would be real nice.

I think it would please the emissions/MPG folks too?

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT Premium w/PP, 401A, A10, Magna Ride, AWE Touring Exhaust, Edelbrock Stage 2 Supercharger.
The Tremec is in the current Mach 1 6 speed. They would use that.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The S550 had some clearly identifiable flaws, the manual being the most obvious, in my opinion. They need to stick a Tremec in the volume models and call it a day already.
To me the MT-82 is fine compared to many other issues. They should focus their time on shedding a few hundred pounds so that the next gen Mustang is more sporty. A smaller car will also benefit the fuel economy regs.

Otherwise - I would be thrilled if they got rid of the MT-82 in favor of a transaxle. Improving the front/rear weight bias would improve 0-60 and handling performance. Switching to a Tremec does virtually nothing except make the car more expensive.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Other than gearing the MT-82 hasn't had issues since they revised it in 2019. So... I would buy another without blinking an eye. Only reason to get the Tremmec is to spend more money for 0 return IMO.
..I agree.
Most transmission troubles are caused by inept gear changers anyway.........:clap:

Ruin

Scouts Out!
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.froglevelbrewing.com
Vehicle(s)
15: GT/PP - TY
I wonder if the S550 Mach 1 will be to the S650 what the S197 Boss 302 was to the S550. If that’s the case, then it would make sense for the Tremec to end up in the new GT.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
I wonder if the S550 Mach 1 will be to the S650 what the S197 Boss 302 was to the S550. If that’s the case, then it would make sense for the Tremec to end up in the new GT.
That's what I was hoping for ;)
Thinking that the Mach 1 could be the blueprint for the next base GT sounds amazing.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Thinking that the Mach 1 could be the blueprint for the next base GT sounds amazing.
the the GT350 owners will cry even louder at their rapidly evaporating exclusivity....

the cost of the 2 trans is close enough that it could be a $1000 factory option. Probably sabotaged by force-including a grotesquely overpriced "performance" package.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does FORD have to certify (epa, mpg or whatever) each engine with each transmisison?

So would adding a second manual option to the 5.0 require separate certs? I would imagine.

These days it would seem they'd just go with one and pass the added cost on.

I have an MT-82 - and It's great competed to the previous manuals in Mustangs.
Only issue I have is it's hard to shift 1-2 when it's cold. And I live in CA.

A real Tremec would be sweet.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Does FORD have to certify (epa, mpg or whatever) each engine with each transmisison?

So would adding a second manual option to the 5.0 require separate certs? I would imagine.

These days it would seem they'd just go with one and pass the added cost on.

I have an MT-82 - and It's great competed to the previous manuals in Mustangs.
Only issue I have is it's hard to shift 1-2 when it's cold. And I live in CA.

A real Tremec would be sweet.
The Tremec in the GT350 was stiffer in cold weather than the MT-82. But it still did work fine, even in below zero weather.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Tremec in the GT350 was stiffer in cold weather than the MT-82. But it still did work fine, even in below zero weather.
Didn't know that. I can't imagine mine in 20deg or 10 or zero degree weather.

I double cluch it, like an old truck and it shifts. I bet some good fluid would help.

Too lazy.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
That's what I've been saying as well.

Ruin

Scouts Out!
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.froglevelbrewing.com
Vehicle(s)
15: GT/PP - TY
I just really want the new automatic shifter out of the upcoming Ranger since these knees can’t drive stick anymore (thanks Uncle Sam). That thing is SLICK and looks a million times better than the current one. 😎
Sponsored