• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

The V8 - S650 and beyond

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
But getting back in track with this discussion, a hydrogen powered v8 would be a great idea for future mustangs. Doing gas only mustangs isn't going to be sustainable long term with increasing environmental regulations. Going with strictly evs would be a hard sale for a lot of hardcore enthusiasts. A hydrogen v8 would sound somewhat similar to a gas powered v8, according to a lot of individuals, they also feel quite similar to a gas engine in terms of driving experience and driving dynamics, all while producing essentially zero emissions. It's an almost perfect solution.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
But getting back in track with this discussion, a hydrogen powered v8 would be a great idea for future mustangs. Doing gas only mustangs isn't going to be sustainable long term with increasing environmental regulations. Going with strictly evs would be a hard sale for a lot of hardcore enthusiasts. A hydrogen v8 would sound somewhat similar to a gas powered v8, according to a lot of individuals, they also feel quite similar to a gas engine in terms of driving experience and driving dynamics, all while producing essentially zero emissions. It's an almost perfect solution.
If the cost were comparable to a gas engine and it didn't require an enormous infrastructure change I would agree it's a good solution (to a problem that doesn't exist).

I personally think the best solution is to continue with gas powered ICEs until we have an alternative solution that is better. What that means to me is let the free markets work and people will buy whatever they prefer. If nobody buys ICEs, then they go away. If people continue to only buy ~3% EVs, then that continues.

Possibly commuters who don't care about cars will buy EVs and enthusiasts will buy V8s. And if the enthusiasts think like you they will buy EVs or hydrogen vehicles (if available).

Yes there is some very slight warming from higher CO2 levels, but it's not a dire situation. And us stopping using gas in cars won't do anything at all when China is continuing to use it. We all know cars aren't the biggest emitters anyway. None of it really makes sense if you think about the overall picture.

I believe that most people think the same as me. Otherwise people wouldn't be buying big pickups in the millions per year and all these large SUVs. People would live close to work and walk/bike or work remotely. At a minimum they would purchase very small vehicles. People would stop having kids, because that is a huge carbon emitter. People would stop eating meat.

Anyway it seems like the majority buy their huge gas burning vehicles and pretend that they believe this stuff because they think it's hip to do that. But in reality they aren't worried about the slight warming that some theories predict. They definitely won't worry about all the past predictions that have been incorrect.

So I'm with the people that hope the Mustang continues to have a V8. I also hope the displacement and power of the V8 engines in Mustangs continue to increase.

21 antimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Hydrogen or natural gas would be cool. I'm hoping that eventually a gasoline substitute can be manufactured with renewable energy so that old school engines can still be used without adding to climate change. Whatever can be done to keep that Ford V8 sound and help us stop destroying the planet with CO2. Sometimes I feel guilty driving my GT but the visceral feeling and satisfaction from driving it is too real to ignore...I'm a spoiled 1st world American. My mustang just brings back so many memories. The S550 is just such a damn nice car. My 5th Mustang and out of the 14 different makes/models of cars that I've owned it's my hands down favorite. American made muscle. If I end up keeping this one for more than a year or two I could see eventually swapping in an electric powertrain if the ICE dies off quickly. But nothing sounds like a Ford V8 to me, there is no substitute.

Last edited:

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
So you want to compare the engine of a most likely $120k+ car to an engine that somehow has to bei in sub $40k car?

Ford has twin turbo tech down. And they’ve been creating some of the best boosted v8s for a long time now - affordable ones. They can certainly use turbos instead of a supercharger on a forged long block and keep it affordable. If they can do it with ecoboodt 6s, they can do it with 8s.

it’s all a matter of desire. And right now, the hippies are beating the car guys in the boardroom. Either go electric hybrid or eco boost the v8.

The point is the argument that you can make a twin turbo smaller engine outperform a naturally aspirated latger engine is ridiculous. Of course! Forced induction is a big deal. But start with thr v8 foundation and it’s even better.

Make a smaller TTV8 if you have to. but give it enough displacement for the air moving capacity of two extra cylinders to matter. Otherwise it’s counterproductive.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
You can wish for a new smaller TT V8 all you want, but it 'aint happening. I suspect the forthcoming 6.8 pushrod V8 will be the last "all new" V8 Ford develops. And the ONLY reason that is being developed is for the big trucks. Will it be put in the Mustang? I still think that's unlikely, but not impossible, but if they do it'd better be an alloy block version to reduce weight over the nose.

However, I believe the Coyote is still good enough to see service throughout S650's lifecycle. Hopefully S650 will introduce a 4th Gen version.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
You can wish for a new smaller TT V8 all you want, but it 'aint happening. I suspect the forthcoming 6.8 pushrod V8 will be the last "all new" V8 Ford develops. And the ONLY reason that is being developed is for the big trucks. Will it be put in the Mustang? I still think that's unlikely, but not impossible, but if they do it'd better be an alloy block version to reduce weight over the nose.

However, I believe the Coyote is still good enough to see service throughout S650's lifecycle. Hopefully S650 will introduce a 4th Gen version.
I think that’s unfortunately the case. But that wasn’t the point. The point was to shine light on the straw man argument about the forced induction engine versus a naturally aspirated engine.

I also hope there is a new gen coyote for s650 and hopefully it gets the home run engineering it deserves.

If this is closing the history books on the v8, send it with a bang.

an enthusiast can dream… even when the flower children want to crush those dreams.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/windsor-engine-plants-still-part-of-fords-long-term-plans

Windsor engine plants still part of Ford's long-term plans

Author of the article:
Dave Waddell

Publishing date:
Apr 19, 2022 • April 19, 2022 • 3 minute read •