• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Decio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
I'm new to the world of Brembo brakes. My understanding was the GT's with performance packs didn't get donut spares because clearance issues with the calipers. I've changed plenty of flats over the years - anything special I need to know before I order? Is this just a regular roadside repair, or are there special considerations for these brakes? Any insight would be appreciated. I'd much rather rely on a spare than goo.
Sponsored

OP
OP

sdsteele2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT
I'm new to the world of Brembo brakes. My understanding was the GT's with performance packs didn't get donut spares because clearance issues with the calipers. I've changed plenty of flats over the years - anything special I need to know before I order? Is this just a regular roadside repair, or are there special considerations for these brakes? Any insight would be appreciated. I'd much rather rely on a spare than goo.
Nothing particularly special. Just need a spare large enough to clear the calipers. The spare Ford offers will not fit over the upgraded brakes of the performance pack or the standalone brake upgrade option.

From the factory the only option, if you have Brembos, is the tire sealant and air compressor.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT/CS, C6 Corvette, 1997 GT Convertable
All mustang come without a spare no matter what brakes you have. If you have the base brakes, there is a spare tire option that you can check. It is about $300 to get a spare, only with base brakes, otherwise you get an air compressor and sealant in the spare tire well.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
It is in the exterior options section.

GT comes standard with mini spare (It doesn't give the specs):
SmartSelect_20230905_203149_Chrome Beta.jpg

It gets deleted with the Performance Pack:
SmartSelect_20230905_203248_Chrome Beta.jpg

It also gets deleted if the Brembos are added:

SmartSelect_20230905_203655_Chrome Beta.jpg
Thank you ! I searched and searched an obviously missed it !!!!

Evo1986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT - 55 years edition Kona Blue AT
It is in the exterior options section.

GT comes standard with mini spare (It doesn't give the specs):
SmartSelect_20230905_203149_Chrome Beta.jpg

It gets deleted with the Performance Pack:
SmartSelect_20230905_203248_Chrome Beta.jpg

It also gets deleted if the Brembos are added:

SmartSelect_20230905_203655_Chrome Beta.jpg
I never understood the philosophy of Ford. What does a spare tire have to do wih a rear spoiler? Why can they not offer both at the same time lol

radar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Someone mentioned “tyre guys not happy with goop in tyre”.
I got a puncture and tyre guys made this clear to me.
I think I heard carcinogenic.
Is this the reason?

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Is this the reason?
Anything that is sticky enough to repair a tire from the inside is going to be extremely difficult to clean out of the tire if they are going to apply a proper patch. Plugs should never be used unless you plan on keeping the tire for a very short period of time.
With a patch, they only need to hit it with a wire brush to clean it up, apply any glue and slap a patch on. It probably takes longer to get the tire off and on the wheel than put a patch on if the tire is clean.

OP
OP

sdsteele2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT
Is this the reason?
The sealant makes a god awful mess when you do the repairs and it usually ruins the tire pressure sensor adding to the repair costs.

BlackFerret69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT Premium 5M, Black on Black.
Plugs should never be used unless you plan on keeping the tire for a very short period of time.
I would agree in the case of a high performance tire or drag radial.

But for a non-performance application, I disagree.

Tire shops used plugs for years before patches became common. I know, I've watched them do it. The first time I saw a patch applied was about 15 years ago.

It all depends on using the proper procedure to install one.

I have plugged many a tire over the years and never had one fail.

Last edited:

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I would agree in the case of a high performance tire or drag radial.

But for a non-performance application, I disagree.

Tire shops used plugs for years before patches became common. I know, I've watched them do it. The first time I saw a patch applied was about 15 years ago.

It all depends on using the proper procedure to install one.

I have plugged many a tire over the years and never had one fail.
They used to use patches to repair the tubes on model Ts long before I was born. Plugs came out sometime in the 50s or 60s and had the disadvantage that they enlarge the hole possibly causing more damage to the tire. They worked before radials but radials flex so much that a patch was a better option.

Last edited:

jimsgunshop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 MUSTANG ECOBOOST PREMIUM YELLOW SPLASH
so my wife just flipped finding out that out new eco boost yellow splash premium convertible NP and upgraded package! only comes with an inflator kit!! honestly doesnt bother me but were gonna road trip it through the smoky mountains when it arrives its built and waiting for shipment! i didnt get the Brembo brakes so whats my option for a donut spare jack and lug wrench?? im assuming theres a well under the carpert for it but not sure dont want to lose trunk space! thnks guys was thinking american muscle or cj pony parts

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
so my wife just flipped finding out that out new eco boost yellow splash premium convertible NP and upgraded package! only comes with an inflator kit!! honestly doesnt bother me but were gonna road trip it through the smoky mountains when it arrives its built and waiting for shipment! i didnt get the Brembo brakes so whats my option for a donut spare jack and lug wrench?? im assuming theres a well under the carpert for it but not sure dont want to lose trunk space! thnks guys was thinking american muscle or cj pony parts
You could have ordered this when you bought the car but now available from the dealer and many other places.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174181676086?epid=18017017585&hash=item288e097436:g:thAAAOSw-eleOduG&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA0L2QkVTTpMQa2Le7l9y2rgcB+8yhsuzRSdU2WZ7wqV2GEsE5OzGZczJ2FBAJvoL4qyA7Qg5fMYuHr/yv4Q74fDppkc3VM7eA1AOb1n6dKaQANt7tr6azSwboXf+QOguVSrZ94Kii9lfjwoq+G9m0X9L2GAEI4K2rGFVdEhaF2kvtSzyLADqnlMFrh1CZT7zoavJt8SVgoEa+Zqh54hakeqRPxMNNR2N6SlHtyERNK3XR5Ti4U+N1hHSao7jDootFt74KtulrflzwBdqsGH5RoLg=|tkp:Bk9SR6C-54TVYg

S650 Mustang Spare tire option for Performance Pack or standalone Brembo BBK kit -- tested IMG_3680

OP
OP

sdsteele2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT
The spare mounting points are in the trunk. You can remove the inflater kit and put the accessory kit spare in. You could use the Ford Pass points you get from buying a new Ford to get the accessory spare tire kit from your dealer.

Ford spare tire kit.

jimsgunshop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 MUSTANG ECOBOOST PREMIUM YELLOW SPLASH
thanks how do i check if i have points totaly new to me !! i bought a 2022 bronco last year i may have point from that too!!
Sponsored