• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

So whats up with the manuals?

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Certainly at boring me to death.
Which creates power and which uses power?

but that’s a thread for another day.
Sponsored

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium
At discharging, yes ….
Yeah, it doesn't seem to be as black & white as that other poster makes it by claiming one should buy an EV if they want "ultimate speed."

The Mach E may be the ever so tiniest of hair faster than the ICE Mustang at initial acceleration, but it seems the ICE Mustang can still go much faster overall and performs better at higher speeds.

bfets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Mustang yet
Yeah, it doesn't seem to be as black & white as that other poster makes it by claiming one should buy an EV if they want "ultimate speed."

The Mach E may be the ever so tiniest of hair faster than the ICE Mustang at initial acceleration, but it seems the ICE Mustang can still go much faster overall and performs better at higher speeds.
This is true. We were not discussing top speed though. We were talking 0-60 times.
Reasonable common sense assumed. Like the 0-60 of a Nissan Leaf is not that spectacular, but a Plaid or Rimac Nevera is pretty epic if all you care about is acceleration.

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is true. We were not discussing top speed though. We were talking 0-60 times.
Reasonable common sense assumed. Like the 0-60 of a Nissan Leaf is not that spectacular, but a Plaid or Rimac Nevera is pretty epic if all you care about is acceleration.
An EV being slightly faster at initial acceleration isn't enough to make up for the fact that an ICE Mustang goes much faster overall and has better performance.

But that's just me. It's about the whole package.

bfets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Mustang yet
An EV being slightly faster at initial acceleration isn't enough to make up for the fact that an ICE Mustang goes much faster overall and has better performance.

But that's just me. It's about the whole package.
Amen to that. Totally agree. Same argument as auto vs manual Mustang.

The overall package is why I chose a manual Mustang. Not saying everyone should do the same. Each to their own likes and requirements but for me, I'm happy with my choice.

Back2Gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Are EVs really faster than ICEs?
In acceleration? Yes. My Model Y Performance gets to 60 in 3.5 seconds, every time. But that's the only thing it has going for it performance-wise.

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
Tires, people are learning the car, learning where the car likes to shift, and the fact people can't shift. If you want fast times get an auto. The manual is for fun and just for a drivers connection to the car. Manuals are not really know for being fast 0-60, as thats not what a manual is for.
My thoughts exactly. If I want fast 0-60 or 1/4 mi times I'll go with the auto. I'm getting the manual because I love a manual transmission and feeling that connection with the car that you miss with an automatic. I'm not planning on racing people at stop lights. I don't care much about such things anymore. Hell any Tesla could dust the fastest Mustang, so who cares about a few tenths of a second. I want to ENJOY driving.

Dharri21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HE, 2022 Lightning
My F150 lightning launches faster than any of my Shelby’s and with the speed limiter lifted it is definitely faster in takeoff and overall run in the 1/4 mile. Although the ev’s are heavier the flat torque curve and AWD make a huge difference. Energy consumption is higher than normal when launching but most of my mustangs say 88 miles to empty with a full tank. The mach-e has a 5 second wot limitation slows it down after launch. EV’s are definitely faster in most respects to ICE. I love my ICE vehicles but the launching and speed performance of EV’s is superior to ice and will only get faster. We slammed a Ram TRX at the track (1/4 mile) about a month ago.

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Amen to that. Totally agree. Same argument as auto vs manual Mustang.

The overall package is why I chose a manual Mustang. Not saying everyone should do the same. Each to their own likes and requirements but for me, I'm happy with my choice.
We're in agreement in terns of preference.

I just thought the response "go buy a EV"
was a bit flippant (and a bit too simplistic), even of that's wasn't how you intended it to come across. That's all.

The OP's frustration is understandable, because you would hope with more horsepower you would also see a faster response time than previous generation from an acceleration standpoint.

Dharri21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone taken on one of the new Lucid’s yet?

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's another psychological factor to consider too:

The typical EV owner doesn't buy one with the intention to speed in them (they buy them because they perceive them to be environmentally friendly).

So often times, in normal driving situations, an ICE Mustang will still likely beat an EV, even if the EV is technically capable of beating the ICE Mustang initially.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 ND2 30th anniversary
I have actually been considering the BMW I4 M50 as my daily which is a pretty decent EV and that bugger is really quick 100-200km/h, quicker than my GT was 100-200.

the thing with EVs are, yes they are boring but as a DD with a decent one you can still have a bit of fun. Also one important aspect (almost the most important)for me being borderline OCD is that I don't have to give sheit about fluids getting warm I can go crazy from the first meter. With the kind of driving I do (97% of the time 20-25min max on way the fluids barely get warm before it is time to park it).

(if the Plaid would have not been so damned expensive here I would get one in a heartbeat :p)

but enough of EVs :)

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Mustang GT Vert , 2024 Mustang GT Vert
Motor Trend ran 0-60 in 4.3 seconds in a GT with a manual transmission and Car & Driver did it in 4.2 seconds which is pretty much what was expected. The car is a little faster than a Mach 1 in the 1/4 mile which is also pretty much what is expected. The Mustang with Coyote power really shines after the 1/4 mile and it has always been that way really since the Coyote came out. Look at 0 - 150mph times Car & Driver does of a Mustang vs your Dodge or even the Camaro 1LE. After the 1/4 mile the Mustang blows both of them away. The 1LE is faster than your Dodge yet the Mustang is faster than the 1LE by over 2 seconds to 150mph and in the racing world that is an ass kicking.

Dharri21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's another psychological factor to consider too:

The typical EV owner doesn't buy one with the intention to speed in them (they buy them because they perceive them to be environmentally friendly).

So often times, in normal driving situations, an ICE Mustang will still likely beat an EV, even if the EV is technically capable of beating the ICE Mustang initially.
I think what you are saying used to be the thought process when buying an EV but now that performance models are coming out more people are buying for performance when available. Not many people buy a plaid to be green. The Prius is for the green crowd and now they have a performance variant. It is kind of cool to see how ICE vs EV is accelerating technology on both sides.

Lastoutlaw_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia stinger and hyundai tucson hybrid
My thoughts exactly. If I want fast 0-60 or 1/4 mi times I'll go with the auto. I'm getting the manual because I love a manual transmission and feeling that connection with the car that you miss with an automatic. I'm not planning on racing people at stop lights. I don't care much about such things anymore. Hell any Tesla could dust the fastest Mustang, so who cares about a few tenths of a second. I want to ENJOY driving.
Yeah thats right. I'm and auto guy and repect manual guys. I know I can't shift great at all. And that I'd get annoyed in stop and go traffic. But chasing after times is for autos and EV cars without a transmission. But manual is for fun, followed by auto then lastly ev... because you get no emotion from it.. can't even tell if you missed a gear or listen to the exhaust.. nothing. Just acceleration lol
Sponsored