• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

So whats up with the manuals?

dollybud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT - 2018 Dodge Ram 1500.
Amen to that. Totally agree. Same argument as auto vs manual Mustang.

The overall package is why I chose a manual Mustang. Not saying everyone should do the same. Each to their own likes and requirements but for me, I'm happy with my choice.
I agree, changing gears with a manual is just plain fun even in traffic jams. Each to their own no criticism from either.
Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
What even is this? The MT82 has abysmal ratios after changing the 1:1 to 4th gear, as stated. The small bump in power isn't going to offset that from the s550 (or the weight gain, worse tires, loss of mid range torque...). Unless someone has good tires and they are a pro at launching, they're going to be looking at 5s 0-60 with a manual. This will hold especially true at a stop light where most aren't going to be launching the car. This isn't the 90s or early 2000s anymore where autos were 4 speeds.

If you want a manual, something that uses gas, and hits 60 in 3s, then you're better off buying a sport bike that costs 1/6th that of a Mustang. It makes me feel funny when my $10k Honda motorcycle pulls ahead of one of these $120k AWD SUVs making 700 hp. The same sort that absolutely embarrassed my 6 speed, tuned, 2019 Mustang GT.

Nothing will replace my love for a good ol' naturally aspirated v8 but there's just so much easier and cheaper ways to hit 60 in under 4s these days.

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep grand Cherokee, 2006 rubicon
Seeing mid 5 second times on 0-60 is just unacceptable. I'm actually considering cancelling my order because of this. I know times aren't everything, which is why I chose to order a manual this time around (also considering getting the auto for the low 4s times it manages to pull), but I chose to order this car as I thought it would be an upgrade in performance to my times I got in my 21 Challenger R/T (was an auto). I regularly hit high 4's - low 5's in a 21 auto RT, so assumed a +100 hp and - hundreds of pounds between the challenger and GT would resort in even faster times on the GT, even for a manual.

What the hell is going on with the times people are getting?
Is there actually some kind of limiter pre 1000 miles like some people are theorizing? Is it just because of the trash stock tires (obviously isn't because the autos have the same tires). I refuse to believe that a manual with +100 hp and hundreds of pounds lighter pulls worse times than a 21 auto Challenger.
Not suppose to run them like that for the first 1000 miles. I was told not to get up to over 4000 rpmā€™s.
I donā€™t plan on racing it tbh with you, may get it up and going on the interstate sometime, but I honestly donā€™t want a ticket and my ins going up, so I am really not concerned how fast it will go from 0-60. Mine is my play car, not race caršŸ˜‚
But If you bought for racing, the maybe should have gotten the DH?

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tires, people are learning the car, learning where the car likes to shift, and the fact people can't shift. If you want fast times get an auto. The manual is for fun and just for a drivers connection to the car. Manuals are not really know for being fast 0-60, as thats not what a manual is for. Now if you roll race then thats a better fit. But I get where you coming from tho.

If you are gonna cancel then try test driving other manuals and launch them beforehand. Compare your 0-60 to the new stang and old stang In real world testing and note what tire is on the car. Most these times are real world. If you want an accurate time, then you need to go to a strip on a prepped surface to get a true time. But people are learning the car and where it likes to be to launch. Also it's RWD so it's a challenge.
I think my manual is going to do great, this old mama has been driving sticks for 50 years, and can shift awfully darned fast. But mine is more for just a fun driving car. Only thing I donā€™t like so far is the mpg šŸ˜”

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While I have not been on a race track, it should be possible to do 0-60 with a single shift on a manual transmission. No lift shift should make it possible to make the shift nearly as fast as an automatic. It would be a matter of perfecting the process by practicing it. I suspect Ford may have put some restrictions on engine operation during break-in because you shouldn't exceed about 3/4 of the ability of the engine during break-in. Zero to 60 is something most people don't do often so an automatic might do it much better than a human. We will know more once people put more miles on their cars.
If you favor drag racing, the A10 might be the better option. If you favor road racing, a manual allows you to plan your gear however a paddle shifter could allow much the same. I am not going to say which is better because that is unique to each person.
Did you see 100 miles for break in in town and 1000 highway miles? As hard as it is, I try and follow the rules to a T

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree, changing gears with a manual is just plain fun even in traffic jams. Each to their own no criticism from either.
And shows you really k ow how to drive a car. Anyone can get in an auto and steer it. Also better for the mountains too as you can keep in a lower gear and keep off
An EV being slightly faster at initial acceleration isn't enough to make up for the fact that an ICE Mustang goes much faster overall and has better performance.

But that's just me. It's about the whole package.
thats why they can push all they want for EV, but I think too many people, from what I heard yesterday, are like me, they said they will NEVER buy an EV.

dollybud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT - 2018 Dodge Ram 1500.
Put a set of Hossier street/track tires on for a straight fast launch. mickey mouse tires are standard most cars. Upgrade now and wish you had when ordering your stang.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Did you see 100 miles for break in in town and 1000 highway miles? As hard as it is, I try and follow the rules to a T
I just assume it takes at least 1000 miles for break in however I will not be using much over 2000 rpms until I am comfortable with the amount of power than engine can generate. That takes a while to get properly programmed into your brain so you respond to it without thinking about it. It's as much the car getting comfortable with me as it's me getting comfortable with the car.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 GT vert A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 6MT
Where did you see this 100/1000 mile rule thing?

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

NegativeMultiplier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Where are you seeing mid 5s?!

Whoever's getting a 0-60 above 5 seconds does not know how to drive a manual, full stop. Get the car yourself and launch it, you will see for yourself.

Cody5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Performance Pack Level II
Back to the original topic the MT-82D4 & TR-3160 just donā€™t have numerically low enough gearing to match the 10R80 cars. Had the 2018 and newer cars carried over the ratios from 11-17 theyā€™d be a whole different animal.
Sponsored