• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

SO, is the S650 PCM locked or not?

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 GT vert A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 6MT
Not an actual concern for me. The S650 has plenty of stock HP and I am fond of long term warranties.

They finally added 4 piston rear calipers to the Brembo package.

The Dark Horse S is appealing.

The appearance is a step backwards IMO. That may change with time. Camaroish
Firsttexan I agree that there seems to be a hint of Camaro present but overall I think the car looks pretty good. Iā€™m just coming from a place where I think the S550 is one of the prettiest cars ever penned, drawing from classic GT cars from the likes of Jaguar, Ferrari and Aston Martin.

I also agree about the DH S, but arenā€™t the S and the R both non-licenseable for the street? Wow, youā€™d have to have pretty deep pockets to own a track only car that could never see street duty. Iā€™m reminded of the Camaro Z-28 from a few years back but even then it was very limited production.
Sponsored

KINGKONA

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1/AE/MAGNERIDE
They mention during the event how they know people LOVE to customize their mustangs and make it theirs then went on to talk about the 3 brake options and many wheel and color options they will be introducing. Limiting how you can modify your car is the OPPOSITE of embracing that.
I'll assume it's like it is now. PP cars have 2 options, regular GTs have 2. Then there's the model/package specific wheels.

Not like you're gonna get 6 wheels to choose from for every car.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
I'll assume it's like it is now. PP cars have 2 options, regular GTs have 2. Then there's the model/package specific wheels.

Not like you're gonna get 6 wheels to choose from for every car.
Not likely, but they showed like 8-9 wheel designs from the slide show they had with a few new colors so hopefully they are letting you pick/choose more.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 GT 500 PP, Past'13 GT500,98 GT,'92 LX 5.0 5spd
Firsttexan I agree that there seems to be a hint of Camaro present but overall I think the car looks pretty good. Iā€™m just coming from a place where I think the S550 is one of the prettiest cars ever penned, drawing from classic GT cars from the likes of Jaguar, Ferrari and Aston Martin.

I also agree about the DH S, but arenā€™t the S and the R both non-licenseable for the street? Wow, youā€™d have to have pretty deep pockets to own a track only car that could never see street duty. Iā€™m reminded of the Camaro Z-28 from a few years back but even then it was very limited production.
What I gathered the S is a streetable 'Track Day" car.

KINGKONA

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1/AE/MAGNERIDE
Not likely, but they showed like 8-9 wheel designs from the slide show they had with a few new colors so hopefully they are letting you pick/choose more.
O.k....that sounds interesting.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thatā€™s what I got as well. And the R is SCCA/NASA ready right off the delivery truck.
Guess Iā€™m gonna have to go back and read/watch all the stuff again. My takeaway was that there are 3 different Dark Horse iterations: the plain DH which is streetable, then the S and R which are not. Hopefully Iā€™m wrong; your take would make more sense.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guess Iā€™m gonna have to go back and read/watch all the stuff again. My takeaway was that there are 3 different Dark Horse iterations: the plain DH which is streetable, then the S and R which are not. Hopefully Iā€™m wrong; your take would make more sense.
Well, no, unless my reading comp has totally gone down the crapper I was right. Three versions, base is streetable but the S and R appear to not be.

https://www.mustang7g.com/forums/threads/šŸ“ā€ā˜ ļø-mustang-dark-horse-s-and-dark-horse-r-revealed.156254/

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer ST, 2001 Avalon
The S and R are NOT street legal. Same as it's always been.
S197 Boss 302S was a factory-built, non-street legal track car.
The S550 FP350S was a factory built, no-street legal track car.
The Dark Horse S will be the same.

Plenty of people have deep pockets and track-only cars. It's not that uncommon. Go to any local race track and see all the amateur racers with their non-street legal cars.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Well, no, unless my reading comp has totally gone down the crapper I was right. Three versions, base is streetable but the S and R appear to not be.

https://www.mustang7g.com/forums/threads/šŸ“ā€ā˜ ļø-mustang-dark-horse-s-and-dark-horse-r-revealed.156254/
I stand corrected on the S. The way they were talking at the reveal last night made it sound like the S was going to be street legal and only the R was not. Makes more sense that both would not be street legal though.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Aftermarket or not, you know if that PCM is somehow ā€œcracked, hacked or unlockedā€ via Forscan or other means - Ford WILL have a way of knowing via software code and WILL most likely void any warranty work. Thatā€™s the intent going forward, to lock consumers out of manipulating/changing parameters so that the vehicle is still ā€œEPAā€ compliantā€¦.

Yes thereā€™s always a way to hack any PCM at some point, thatā€™s a given - but you can bet Ford Engineers already have something in place in the event someone tries to circumvent the ā€œlockā€ and Service Centers will be able to determine IF that has occurredā€¦.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
What about it? Hacking things takes time. Its not like the movies where you can crack it in 45minutes or its utterly impossible.
The C8 ECU is practically impenetrable - No one has a "tuned" C8 and this car has been out for 3 years or so.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
The C8 ECU is practically impenetrable - No one has a "tuned" C8 and this car has been out for 3 years or so.
That doesn't make it "impenetrable". It took 4 yrs to hack the PS3 and that had a lot more people trying to hack it than care about hacking the C8. Not a lot of hackers can actually even afford a C8 to spend time trying to hack. Tuners are basically relying on their software developers to hopefully find a way in.

When you find a few 20-30uo's with 2-3 C8 electronics systems torn apart in their basement to analyze it let me know. The PRICE of a C8 is likely a much larger hinderance to cracking it than it's actual encryption.

Last edited:
OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That doesn't make it "impenetrable". It took 4 yrs to hack the PS3 and that had a lot more people trying to hack it than care about hacking the C8. Not a lot of hackers can actually even afford a C8 to spend time trying to hack. Tuners are basically relying on their software developers to hopefully find a way in.
Yeah, but for me thatā€˜s not really the point.

A PlayStation is one thing but wants to rely on a car that was able to be tuned only after years of extreme effort on the part of dedicated hackers? Just because you can do something doesnā€™t mean itā€™s a good idea. If it takes that much work Iā€™d say thereā€™s a pretty good sign the factory didnā€™t want it to be done. I can only imagine the flood of threads with guys asking for help with some kind of weird problem, and oh by the way my S650 is tuned.
Sponsored