• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

So, S650 is a coupe again!

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
When S550 was launched, Ford brought back the Fastback name. I believe I'm right in saying this was the first time since '68 as Ford have used various names for the "hard top" Mustang through the generations

65-68 = Fastback
69-73 = Sportsroof
74-78 = Hatchback or Saloon
79-93 = Hatchback or Notch
94-04 = Coupe
05-14 = Coupe
15-23 = Fastback
24+ = Coupe

Having watched numerous YouTube reviews, I thought perhaps the presenters were just more used to calling coupes......well, coupes! However, even Ford's official comms call it a coupe again.

Does it really matter? No, of course not. But Fastback just sounds so darned cool!

https://mustang.fordpresskits.com/

"Building on the legendary style of previous generations, the new Mustang comes in coupe and convertible form with an edgier and more impactful design"
Sponsored

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I wouldn't say your list represents Ford's official names, but rather the terms people commonly use/used. I say that, because I had an 87 "notch," but Ford called it a sedan (seriously), so that's what I called it! I always got weird looks when I said I had a Mustang sedan...

I checked out a 79 brochure and they referred to the models as Mustang 2-door (coupe) and Mustang 3-door (liftback).

So, that 2-door "notch" started as a coupe and became a sedan. They also dropped the reference to 3-door at some point and began using the more common hatchback name.

I have to admit, I like the fastback name, too. However, when I first saw the S550, I was hoping it was going to be an actual hatchback!

noac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
I am relatively certain that the term notchback, or notch was never an official Ford designation for the body style later identified as such by enthusiasts. I believe the official Ford body style would have been identified as a 2 door sedan.

edit- saw above post that also address this topic

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
"Building on the legendary style of previous generations, the new Mustang comes in coupe and convertible form with an edgier and more impactful design"
the term 'coupe' can now be applied to 4-door so watch for a 4-door version. :)
'fastback' would seem to make that 4-door design harder to justify under that moniker.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
I do, obviously šŸ˜›

Fastback, to me, harks back to the glory days of Mustang's history :)
+1

I think it's just the marketing team shaking things up a bit for younger buyers that may not be aware of or familiar with with the term "fastback". With that said, it's a funny switch up considering the roofline is almost identical to S550, if not slightly more aggressive in rake (as Jem initially told us it would be) giving S650 somewhat more of a "fastback" than S550. It'll be interesting to see if the change carries through to other material and the online builder.

Tinpot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
How would one define a ā€˜coupeā€™ ?