• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Side Bottom Air Deflectors/Strikers

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
What really gets me is why the factory doesn't put them in...after all the rear "strakes" on there on the rear? Leaving it up to the PDI folks is simply asking for trouble. Then again...leaving them off, probably isn't the end of the world.
The wheels in transport often sit on rails with sides to keep them from moving much to the side. The ground clearance is only about 4 inches with them on so it's possible for them to get damaged in transport. It's safer just to leave them off so they don't get damaged before you see the car.
Transport devices are designed to make life easy for the hauler but not so much for the car designer.
Sponsored

MJS54

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 Corvette Cpe, '18 Lexus ES 350, '23 Bronco Spt
The wheels in transport often sit on rails with sides to keep them from moving much to the side. The ground clearance is only about 4 inches with them on so it's possible for them to get damaged in transport. It's safer just to leave them off so they don't get damaged before you see the car.
Transport devices are designed to make life easy for the hauler but not so much for the car designer.
Dena, well then I guess itā€™s up to the owners to inform the PDI guys to please install the ā€œstrakesā€ while they have it up on the lift doing the underside inspection for any leaks, etc,. Otherwise it seems there will be lots of DHs running around without their front ā€œstrakes.ā€

MJS54

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
By the way...on my DH the clearance from ground to strakes. About 2 3/4", yikes

20230910_125038.jpg
BTW, did the PDI techs at the dealership install your ā€œstrakesā€ or did you do it yourself when you got home?

Last edited:

Pyroguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting
Installed by dealer. PDI. They are required to.

MJS54

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can clearly see the front ā€œstrakesā€ in these pics taken from a recent Hennessey video.
S650 Mustang Side Bottom Air Deflectors/Strikers IMG_6412
S650 Mustang Side Bottom Air Deflectors/Strikers IMG_6411

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
S650 Mustang Side Bottom Air Deflectors/Strikers IMG_0372

Mastermind46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra, 2001 Chevy Silverado
Mine were not installed... Also had over 50 miles on it. The instructions were printed opposite of paper orientation so the bottom was cut off and there is a lot of blank paper to the right.

S650 Mustang Side Bottom Air Deflectors/Strikers PXL_20231030_005008980.MP

RiksDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse, 2023 Cadillac Escalade Sport.
Picked up my GT with performance pack and they also were not installed. Hereā€™s a pic, cut the wheel hard left or right, laid on the ground and took about 10 minutes per side.

IMG_7924.jpeg
Thanks for the picture. You didnā€™t lift it? Were able to put em on by cutting wheel all the way? Enough room to maneuver in there?

Coyote2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former car: 2015 MUSTANG GT Premium Fastback w/ PP in Magnetic
Picked up my Dark Horse a few days ago and also noticed that the Bottom Air Deflectors and the wheel locks were still in their original bags in the trunk. I installed the wheel locks and dealer said they would install the deflectors. My question is what benefit do they do? With them sitting low under the car I fear they will scrap as I daily drive this car. If I am not tracking the car, do I need to have them installed or do they perform a function that I really need?

Stangerous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium, 2020 Mustang GT Premium c
Picked up my Dark Horse a few days ago and also noticed that the Bottom Air Deflectors and the wheel locks were still in their original bags in the trunk. I installed the wheel locks and dealer said they would install the deflectors. My question is what benefit do they do? With them sitting low under the car I fear they will scrap as I daily drive this car. If I am not tracking the car, do I need to have them installed or do they perform a function that I really need?
Their job is to deflect air from under the car. The area that mounts to the car is hard plastic but the deflectors themselves are rubber and will ā€œfold or bendā€ if they come into contact with anything.
Sponsored