• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Should There Be a Trim Level Between GT and DH?

Should Ford Offer a Trim in Between GT and DH?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Plus the size differences between a 911 and the current Mustang platform have much to do with the engine/powertrain. As good as the Coyote motor is, it is not the most compact propulsion unit out there. The car was designed to accommodate this motor and that set the exterior sizing limits.
I agree the Coyote is large, but Ford didn't try hard to make the Mustang as small and light as possible. There's a lot of room in the engine compartment, inside the car, and the trunk is HUGE. They didn't even work hard to get the engine close to the ground for a better COG.

The 911 on the other hand has been sharpened to a knife's edge getting weight and size out of the car. It does have a 4 liter 6 cylinder with dual overhead cams in it. That engine is not much smaller than the Coyote. The latest generation has gotten larger, but it's still ~300 lbs lighter than the Mustang.

Just compare the size of the back seats and the 911 frunk vs. the Mustang trunk. Huge difference.
Sponsored

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
Thatā€™s because if they made the backseat any smaller in the mustang, it wouldnā€™t be usable, and a lot of ā€˜muricans would have to look elsewhere.

911 folks ainā€™t worried about getting kids in the back and Porsche knows that and like you said, refines the heck out of it.

I agree the Coyote is large, but Ford didn't try hard to make the Mustang as small and light as possible. There's a lot of room in the engine compartment, inside the car, and the trunk is HUGE. They didn't even work hard to get the engine close to the ground for a better COG.

The 911 on the other hand has been sharpened to a knife's edge getting weight and size out of the car. It does have a 4 liter 6 cylinder with dual overhead cams in it. That engine is not much smaller than the Coyote. The latest generation has gotten larger, but it's still ~300 lbs lighter than the Mustang.

Just compare the size of the back seats and the 911 frunk vs. the Mustang trunk. Huge difference.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Thatā€™s because if they made the backseat any smaller in the mustang, it wouldnā€™t be usable, and a lot of ā€˜muricans would have to look elsewhere.

911 folks ainā€™t worried about getting kids in the back and Porsche knows that and like you said, refines the heck out of it.
I've had large adults in the current Mustang back seat, and I'm tall. I wouldn't go on a long trip, but it's usable. I think for children or smaller people the seat could get ~1-2 inches smaller. And they could take a foot out of the trunk. And probably 6 inches to a foot out of the engine compartment. All that would add up to several hundred pounds saved and it would improve the car's performance a lot. And, being smaller, the car would actually cost less to manufacture.

goodlettjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I read this and thought what most of you are stating GTT or GT2. But thinking back as I worked as a parts manager in a dealer with 10MM in inventory, the Mustang probably has the most trim packages / model options than any other Ford product.

Here is a list from 2015 to 2020 that covers 20 variations. Just think of door panels. They made a different door panel for most of these. Multiply those times the number of different colors and materials (avg. 4) and you have 80 different parts. Canā€™t tell you how often we would have to tell a body shop or retail customer that a part wasnā€™t available any longer. The red seatbelt will almost be immediately discontinued when they stop offering it in production. The remaining belts will got to the parts PDC and be sold down to zero. They will never order any more. You will have to get a different color and eventually they will only offer black. I would rather Ford have a good grouping of trim packages / model options and have better long-term support for our cars.

Ford Mustang GT
Ford Mustang GT 50 Year Limited Edition
Ford Mustang Shelby Super Snake
Ford Mustang GT/CS California Special
Ford Mustang Cobra Jet
Ford Mustang Shelby GT350
Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R
Ford Mustang Shelby Terlingua
Ford Mustang Shelby GT-H
Ford Mustang Shadow Black Edition
Ford Mustang Blue Edition
Ford Mustang Bullitt
Ford Shelby GT
Ford Shelby GT-S
Ford Mustang 2.3L High Performance
Ford Mustang 55
Ford Mustang Shelby GT500
Ford Shelby GT350SE
Ford Shelby GT500SE

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
Reading all the people beg for the tremecā€¦ maybe it is a tremec problem and they donā€™t have the production capabilities for 10s of thousands of units per year?

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
I read this and thought what most of you are stating GTT or GT2. But thinking back as I worked as a parts manager in a dealer with 10MM in inventory, the Mustang probably has the most trim packages / model options than any other Ford product.

Here is a list from 2015 to 2020 that covers 20 variations. Just think of door panels. They made a different door panel for most of these. Multiply those times the number of different colors and materials (avg. 4) and you have 80 different parts. Canā€™t tell you how often we would have to tell a body shop or retail customer that a part wasnā€™t available any longer. The red seatbelt will almost be immediately discontinued when they stop offering it in production. The remaining belts will got to the parts PDC and be sold down to zero. They will never order any more. You will have to get a different color and eventually they will only offer black. I would rather Ford have a good grouping of trim packages / model options and have better long-term support for our cars.

Ford Mustang GT
Ford Mustang GT 50 Year Limited Edition
Ford Mustang GT/CS California Special
Ford Mustang Cobra Jet
Ford Mustang Shelby GT350
Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R
Ford Mustang Shelby Terlingua
Ford Mustang Shelby GT-H
Ford Mustang Shadow Black Edition
Ford Mustang Blue Edition
Ford Mustang Bullitt
Ford Shelby GT
Ford Shelby GT-S
Ford Mustang 2.3L High Performance
Ford Mustang 55
Ford Mustang Shelby GT500
Ford Shelby GT350SE
Ford Shelby GT500SE
Most of the mentioned trims really are the same cars. Only difference is maybe a plate on the dash and or some stripesā€¦ GT, 50, 55, Black and Blue edition, CS Special are really nothing special at all. Literally the same car, slightly different spec thatā€™s it. Nothing fancy that would require individual parts. A regular GT couldā€™ve been speced like these carsā€¦
Regarding the Shelbysā€¦ Most of them are individual tunes by external manufacturers. Ford is not responsible for Shelby America or other tunesā€¦

The DH is the ā€˜in-betweenā€™ trim already. It offers a slightly tuned Coyote and some performance partsā€¦ Itā€™s a Mach1/Bullitt with a different name. Iā€™m curious if there will be another high performance version next to the GT500, which has already been ā€˜announcedā€™ for 2025ā€¦. I doubt it though

goodlettjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Most of the mentioned trims really are the same cars. Only difference is maybe a plate on the dash and or some stripesā€¦ GT, 50, 55, Black and Blue edition, CS Special are really nothing special at all. Literally the same car, slightly different spec thatā€™s it. Nothing fancy that would require individual parts. A regular GT couldā€™ve been speced like these carsā€¦
Regarding the Shelbysā€¦ Most of them are individual tunes by external manufacturers. Ford is not responsible for Shelby America or other tunesā€¦

The DH is the ā€˜in-betweenā€™ trim already. It offers a slightly tuned Coyote and some performance partsā€¦ Itā€™s a Mach1/Bullitt with a different name. Iā€™m curious if there will be another high performance version next to the GT500, which has already been ā€˜announcedā€™ for 2025ā€¦. I doubt it though
Agree that they are really the same cars, but the tweak in a material, color, added colored piping, soft touch etc., makes for an entirely different door panel. I'm just giving a different view point about the support of vehicles when more models and trim differences are made.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
You could still offer an in between without the DH's power bump.
That power bump is hardly earth shaking. To make up the 14hp from a active exhaust GT to DH is less than a tune away. And YES we will be able to tune these, regardless of what hoodoo some Ford engineer says about encryption non sense. A pair of K&N filters will be worth 2-5hp per norm.
Sponsored