• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 Mustang Fanboi Thread

S650 GT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Horse with Trailer
Ok, just as a bit of a background. I stood up at 1:45am to watch the stream, gathered all informations and made my german youtube video about the car until it finally was uploaded and released around 6:00am. So after a short sleep afterwards I now have finally time to write a few sentences of my impressions.

First, I absolutely love the design. It's clearly more of an evolution of the s550, but the sharp edges and aggressive styling is amazing. The frontend seems to be not as low as on 2018, which always looked too low for me. The hood vents reminds me of the 2019 camaro, which is not really to best thing honestly.
Sideline is pretty similiar to S550, but I really like how they handled the new rear. More edges, higher diffusor, a different approach to the rear lights. They couldn't have done it better to me. Only downside to me is that they still can't paint the diffusor in gloss black, the plain plastic just looks way too cheap for the price you pay for a GT and is a pita to deal with afterwards.
We knew what the EB and GT looked like, a bit surprised that @chazcron maybe had some inside informations about the hood vents and rear light shapes nobody knew about, but I am so happy they were able to keep the Dark Horse a secret. This is without a doubt the most aggressive looking Mustang, even better than the GT500. They kind of took a bit of 1LE styling here with the matte hood vinyls. If I would order a S650 I would definitely go for the Dark Horse. Definitely my favorite modern Mustang design even before GT350 and Mach 1. With the big splitter and high wing spoiler it's perfect, besides just paint the friggin exterior plastic Ford...

I am not quite sold on the new interior. It pretty much lost all retro styling here, it looks fine but nothing that makes it unique or recognizable as an Mustang interior. The big screens remind me a bit how the current Golf and new Opel (Vauxhall) Astra implemented them. But my biggest gripe is that material quality doesn't look like a step up from S550. Still a lot of plastic, we will have to see how good the leather really feels. With higher models easily being $60k cars, I hoped for a bigger step for the interior.

I'm glad the car including Dark Horse is coming to Europe. But I am worried how much the car will actually perform compared to 2018 or Mach 1. The current EU models are good cars without a doubt, but it really need more punch to me honestly since they are a bit downgraded in terms of power and gearing. Ford didn't really said anything about performance numbers, so I got the feeling it will just be slight upgrade over S550 instead of a big new thing. I totally get some 2nd refresh comments, they missed to sell us that this is indeed a brand new generation.

So overall, to be completely honest: I just sold my 2018 Camaro 2SS because I ordered a C8 Stingray in May. If the Stingray wouldn't have been in budget, I would 100% have sold my Camaro for the Dark Horse model. But I won't cancel my C8 for it. Dark Horse most likely will be a 70kā‚¬ car here, so I am willing to spend 25kā‚¬ on top to get that much of a performance and especially quality gain with the C8.

I would love to have the S650 as a daily driver next to the C8. But that's way over my budget compared to a boring daily driver at the moment. Maybe near the end of the lifecycle of the Gen 7 I will be able to buy one, we will see.

TLDR: Absolutely Love the exterior, interior quality seems a bit outdated, will be interesting to see how it performs compared to S550 models.
Well, I watched the livestream and they actually talked about the performance numbers.

GT: 480 HP
DH: 500 HP
Sponsored

jgilkey

Threads
Reaction score
Website
locusautomotive.com
Vehicle(s)
Ordered: 2021 Mach 1
Overall I like it, and Iā€™m definitely planning on ordering a DH with handling pack. Iā€™m hoping the screens on the dash donā€™t sit up too high and block the view over the hood, and that Ford provides a migration path from Sync 4 to Automotive OS (maybe thru a dealer upgrade procedure).

For those worried about no physical HVAC controls, how often do you change the temperature while driving? I generally set it to a temp as the seasons change, and leave it. Iā€™m sure the aftermarket will create controls that can plug into the CANBus for those that want them.

TLDR: I had a Mach 1 on order that I didnā€™t end up buying after a last minute ADM that the dealer added after the price was negotiated and car delivered.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Well, I watched the livestream and they actually talked about the performance numbers.

GT: 480 HP
DH: 500 HP
Well, not exactly. GT is 480+. We will have to wait months before we get the final number. Now he did say 500 for the Dark Horse but I doubt thatā€™s final. Weā€™ll see! :like:

Zach@Granger

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Mustang
I thought the real car looked better than the renderings that I had seen online. The rear end looks aggressive like the latest gen Camaro (which is a good thing in my opinion).

I haven't loved the front end of the car with the 2018 refresh. I like this front end better than the outgoing model. I am not absolutely head over heels about it, I do think that the GT500 or "halo" variant has a lot of potential to really nail it in the looks department.

Amaury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1 Sold-#508 LE 50TH Aniv.
Ventilated Recaros finally

OP
OP
93-Oct Mayne

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Well, not exactly. GT is 480+. We will have to wait months before we get the final number. Now he did say 500 for the Dark Horse but I doubt thatā€™s final. Weā€™ll see! :like:
I had to laugh at the intentional vagueness during the livestream. I mean 480+ basically means 485 right? lol

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Iconic Silver
Overall, I was impressed with the S650.

I love the front end. Would I have loved the headlights and tailights being bigger? Yes....BUT I understand the style they're going with, and the muscular look was achieved by bigger grilles and sharper lines. The side profile looks near identical to the S550, which isn't a bad thing and heck, if it ain't broken why fix it right?

The interior design was a great refresh. I would've preferred the cluster/screen to be more refined/integrated as I"m not a fan of screens appearing like they were just plotted onto a car, but I think it was time for Mustangs to go digital. I am curious to see what base models will get as I doubt it'll have the fully immersive setup like premium models would.

I can't wait to see the final specs on the cars. I think the dual TB/intake design for the GT is genius.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Here are my thoughts:

1) I don't mind the styling changes (overall). Some of them are okay, a couple I question. The headlights are kinda cool, the tail lights seem like a shape improvement although the overall rear end looks bunched (reference all the memes about clinched asses). Overall, I think the new GT is kinda here or there, I wouldn't mind driving it, but at the same time, i don't think it's a home run improvement over the S550.

I don't really care for the character lines being removed from the doors (which is one of the reasons it looks so much like a camaro now). The other impactful change was the rear trunk panel. The S550 (and variants) feature a nice black change of color than the body paint and it works. The whole monochrome rear end is going to take some getting used to. I don't think it compliments the car and makes for a very boring uniform color everywhere.

If what I've seen/heard are true, having large openings in front of the wheel well that are faux and not functional for break duct intakes seems kinda cheap and ricer to me. A faux plastic insert screams Honda or poser to me. Now had they made those inlets functional, the face makes sense. Without that it seems kinda dumb.

2) I don't think the changes Ford has made (at least the ones they've communicated) are large enough to warrant a new generation. The interior modifications are welcomed upgrades and I definitely would love to have them. As far as the rest of the car, nothing I've seen says big enough change for a new generation. The only REAL performance difference that's not incremental is the electronic parking (drifting brake). The rest seems to be a repackaged S550. Everyone will talk about dual throttle bodies, but it has very little impact or improvement over the current gen 3.

3) The S650 will be the first PCM that's "locked." As we've seen with the frustrations of the DCT, if tuners can't have access to the computer, it will make aftermarket modifications very frustrating. Like the C8, the only option for significantly modifying the car for power and tune will be an aftermarket piggy back or add on. They JUST cracked the C8 PCM recently, so who knows how long it'll take to crack the S650 PCM. Until that happens, the aftermarket enthusiasm and options for the car will be very muted. Let's hope that many of the current S550 parts will work, but few companies are going to invest R&D into a new product unless the car can be made for significant power improvements. (that applies to everything from intakes, to exhaust to drivetrain, to power adders).

4) I think Ford recognized that the unveiling was going to fall flat, everyone was going to say "that's it?" So they cleverly distracted everyone with the badass CGI of the Ford Racing variants. Here's the deal, the FR variants are unicorns and out of reach for the vast majority of mustang enthusiasts. They're prohibitively expensive. Have you ever priced an S550 GT4? Cobra Jet? People will view this thinking they're going to be able to buy those options until they see the price tag for the FR variants.

5) The "Darkhorse" seems like a cool effort. But honestly, it's not unique enough to warrant a new variant. A different body style and color scheme and twin throttle bodies isn't exactly "special" (to me) and if Ford does what I think they'll do and try to sell it for significantly more than the GT, I think it's a sucker's purchase. So in the end it's more "Bullitt" variant (just a different body scheme and color) than it is Boss or Mach1.

6) Shame on Ford for renewing their relationship with Getrag. It seems like only special models or packages will receive the Tremec, base GTs and Eco manuals will get the dreaded MT82. There shouldn't be any "levels" to the driveline other than A10, DCT or Manual (Tremec) but it looks like Ford is stuck with the MT82 for the majority of manuals for some time to come. Which is unfortunate, I think most people would gladly pay a little extra for the tremec.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Camaro SS (sold)
I'm really liking the exterior. The interior is growing on me.

I have some thinking to do now. Go ahead with my planned 2023 EB HPP w/HP order or wait and order an EB or GT with the performance pack when the 2024 order banks open.

Amaury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1 Sold-#508 LE 50TH Aniv.
Here are my thoughts:

1) I don't mind the styling changes (overall). Some of them are okay, a couple I question. The headlights are kinda cool, the tail lights seem like a shape improvement although the overall rear end looks bunched (reference all the memes about clinched asses). Overall, I think the new GT is kinda here or there, I wouldn't mind driving it, but at the same time, i don't think it's a home run improvement over the S550.

I don't really care for the character lines being removed from the doors (which is one of the reasons it looks so much like a camaro now). The other impactful change was the rear trunk panel. The S550 (and variants) feature a nice black change of color than the body paint and it works. The whole monochrome rear end is going to take some getting used to. I don't think it compliments the car and makes for a very boring uniform color everywhere.

If what I've seen/heard are true, having large openings in front of the wheel well that are faux and not functional for break duct intakes seems kinda cheap and ricer to me. A faux plastic insert screams Honda or poser to me. Now had they made those inlets functional, the face makes sense. Without that it seems kinda dumb.

2) I don't think the changes Ford has made (at least the ones they've communicated) are large enough to warrant a new generation. The interior modifications are welcomed upgrades and I definitely would love to have them. As far as the rest of the car, nothing I've seen says big enough change for a new generation. The only REAL performance difference that's not incremental is the electronic parking (drifting brake). The rest seems to be a repackaged S550. Everyone will talk about dual throttle bodies, but it has very little impact or improvement over the current gen 3.

3) The S650 will be the first PCM that's "locked." As we've seen with the frustrations of the DCT, if tuners can't have access to the computer, it will make aftermarket modifications very frustrating. Like the C8, the only option for significantly modifying the car for power and tune will be an aftermarket piggy back or add on. They JUST cracked the C8 PCM recently, so who knows how long it'll take to crack the S650 PCM. Until that happens, the aftermarket enthusiasm and options for the car will be very muted. Let's hope that many of the current S550 parts will work, but few companies are going to invest R&D into a new product unless the car can be made for significant power improvements. (that applies to everything from intakes, to exhaust to drivetrain, to power adders).

4) I think Ford recognized that the unveiling was going to fall flat, everyone was going to say "that's it?" So they cleverly distracted everyone with the badass CGI of the Ford Racing variants. Here's the deal, the FR variants are unicorns and out of reach for the vast majority of mustang enthusiasts. They're prohibitively expensive. Have you ever priced an S550 GT4? Cobra Jet? People will view this thinking they're going to be able to buy those options until they see the price tag for the FR variants.

5) The "Darkhorse" seems like a cool effort. But honestly, it's not unique enough to warrant a new variant. A different body style and color scheme and twin throttle bodies isn't exactly "special" (to me) and if Ford does what I think they'll do and try to sell it for significantly more than the GT, I think it's a sucker's purchase. So in the end it's more "Bullitt" variant (just a different body scheme and color) than it is Boss or Mach1.

6) Shame on Ford for renewing their relationship with Getrag. It seems like only special models or packages will receive the Tremec, base GTs and Eco manuals will get the dreaded MT82. There shouldn't be any "levels" to the driveline other than A10, DCT or Manual (Tremec) but it looks like Ford is stuck with the MT82 for the majority of manuals for some time to come. Which is unfortunate, I think most people would gladly pay a little extra for the tremec.
The Tremec is in the DarkHorse and I think is a bad move not to offer in standard in all models.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
with Dark horse being in a 70kā‚¬ range
I paid 71kā‚¬ for Mach 1 with optional wheels and alarm in 2021, and price got raised by 4k or so since then. Dark Horse will be more like 75-80 kā‚¬ by 2024...

The modern interior will be better for new buyers, it's a current trend, hard to fight against it... Doubt many will want to switch from S550, though, unless from car's age reasons.

Outside, it's okay. Still has the nice lines the S550 introduced, but different enough. Still aggressive, showing muscle. And different enough from S550. Not as much as jump from S197, but it kinda is hard to improve upon.

Definitely I wouldn't be ashamed to drive in it and when V8 is in it, all is still right with the world :rockon:
Curious what the performance numbers will be, if there'll be any actual difference to my Mach 1.

KINGKONA

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1/AE/MAGNERIDE
In retrospect, the 2018-2023 had a loooooooooooong ass and a loooooooong nose.

As soon as front and rear collision technology got more compact, the Mustang dropped 8 inches off its total length, if not more.
Source? Got some info to corroborate that?

ETA; The 2024 is about 1" longer.

Last edited:

bloominguez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Amen. I'll only consider a Mustang with the Tremec manual. No Getrag, no automatic of any kind. Willing to pay more for it (and I have, on another recent purchase, no regrets).

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
All the matte black on the front of the Dark Horse (utterly hate that name) makes it look really bad IMO. the GT Looks a bit better, but the EcoBoost, sadly, is the best looking of the generation so far.
Sponsored