• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 cancelled?

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Formula 1 is over rated. But forgive me for being a bit biased here. :thumbsup:

That^ is one of the most bogus statements I've heard on these forums.

F1 is the epitome of human engineering. None-more. The driver's are some of the fittest athletes in the world and sustain beyond fighter pilot G's during a race weekend/event/prix.

Coincidentally, many F1 drivers in the "off time", often compete in the world's other greatest events (24h le mans/indy 500/WRC/etc).. and win trophies mid-F1 season... as a show of their capabilities. Their talents are respected by all. The cars are made using super computers and world's leading engineers.

Granted, I don't think Formula 1 was being delivered to it's audiences properly. But coverage and camera work will change with F1's new owners. Perhaps then you'll be able to learn to respect the grand motor sport of them all.
Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning

F1 is the epitome of human engineering. None-more. The driver's are some of the fittest athletes in the world and sustain beyond fighter pilot G's during a race weekend/event/prix.

Coincidentally, many F1 drivers in the "off time", often compete in the world's other greatest events (24h le mans/indy 500/WRC/etc).. and win trophies mid-F1 season... as a show of their capabilities. Their talents are respected by all. The cars are made using super computers and world's leading engineers.

Granted, I don't think Formula 1 was being delivered to it's audiences properly. But coverage and camera work will change with F1's new owners. Perhaps then you'll be able to learn to respect the grand motor sport of them all.
F1 may be peak human performance driver wise but not peak engineering. Limitations and regulations have effectively all participant engines the same.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
It's not just ford, sounds like Subaru is killing the WRX to. I'm still not old enough for a vette and I can't grow a mullet so the camaro is out of question to. I guess I'll have to hold on to the stang!
Wrx sucks, it’s not even the same realm of the mustang brand. To me the wrx is just an awd Corolla. Aka econobox with a turbo. I’ve driven an 09 and a 2016, nothing impressed me or left me wanting one.

Anyways, I’ll wait for the news to come from Ford. Maybe they are scaling back since people are still buying mustangs compared to discounted new camaros?

And LOL at a mustang competing with the vette. The vette has always been on another level. Always has been always will be. There may have been mustangs that can compete in a straightline, but on a road course the corvette will always be ahead for the obvious reasons already stated. Even the almighty gt350r runs slower times then a grandsport, which right now is the middle of the vette echelon, till ZR1 comes out.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Wrx sucks, it’s not even the same realm of the mustang brand.
It's not supposed to be. What it is, is one of the few reasonably affordable, reasonably peppy sport sedans. It's still available with a manual transmission, and has a considerably 'sportier' intent than Toyotas other than the 86.

I agree about the Mustang not being "Ford's Corvette", even though it is usually Ford's halo car. But I suppose there's some good in that, with the Mustang team not having to worry about stepping on any toes within Ford like the Camaro team does with the Corvette.

Norm

NoVaGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
F1 may be peak human performance driver wise but not peak engineering. Limitations and regulations have effectively all participant engines the same.
Oh, no, not at all. There are many different "power units" used in F1.

Anyways, F1 is the Daddy. There is no better spectator motor sport, it's absolutely fascinating racing. It's real racing, with the best running out to huge leads like they should, and great battles going on between drivers all the way down the grid.

F1 isn't perfect, but getting rid of Senator Palpatine is a huge step;
S650 Mustang S650 cancelled? B9t76ZNIAAA2kS3

An American investment company now owns F1, and I hope to see good changes in the future.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 , 2012 Boss 302
Mustang was going to be the car for Le Mans......but Project Silver was cancelled.......

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2017/4/...ang-At-Le-Mans-Instead-Of-The-New-GT-7738617/
BMW races the M6 in the GTLM class. Very similar in body dimensions as the mustang. They are both bricks in the wind tunnel. The new ZL1 camaro set a record @ the ring recently.....Another brick. The mustang could race in the GTLM or GTE is all I’m saying. But they choose the conti series instead ....which almost died last year. This year there are 7 mustangs entered so far. No camaro yet has showed it’s cards. But plenty of other car companies have.

Last edited:

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang

I fully endorse your right to your position. However this discussion would need its own thread and reallly is not appropriate for a Mustang forum. I was originally talking about a small company that makes the Ford GT and also has involvement racing Mustangs. The stretch to F1 was what happened but I prefer the connection we all have to racing Mustangs in that form of Motorsport.

Having said that, F1 has its own problems from racing via MBAs gauging R&D by economic principles - first - to pay drivers at the other end of the scale. In the quagmire of money that is F1 we seem to be losing the true spirit of competition and that connection with the fans. Plus, the pay scales for winning and placing have to change. In my opinion. Cheers!

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
BMW races the M6 in the GTLM class. Very similar in body dimensions as the mustang. They are both bricks in the wind tunnel. The new ZL1 camaro set a record @ the ring recently.....Another brick. The mustang could race in the GTLM or GTE is all I’m saying. But they choose the conti series instead ....which almost died last year. This year there are 7 mustangs entered so far. No camaro yet has showed it’s cards. But plenty of other car companies have.
What you're missing is the M6 and Alpha platforms are quite superior to the s550, and the work needed to make the platform competitive just wasn't worth it

I assure you, you don't know better than the engineers at ford in regards to Motorsports engineering

NoVaGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
What you're missing is the M6 and Alpha platforms are quite superior to the s550, and the work needed to make the platform competitive just wasn't worth it

I assure you, you don't know better than the engineers at ford in regards to Motorsports engineering
Welllll.....

It might not be the right competitive series, but running a Mustang at LeMans in it's proper class could be a great thing for Ford, if they get some wins. Seeing an S550 thundering down the Mulsanne stright would be fantastic.

But the cost might be too high. Especially with the new leadership at Ford.

FWIW, when the GT ran and won it's class at LeMans, it had to get special permission to be entered, because they hadn't sold enough road-going versions yet. And Ford wanted a win, wanted to win on the anniversary of their victory with the GT40, and a Mustang wasn't going to accomplish that.

Last edited:

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Welllll.....It might not be the right competitive series, but running a Mustang at LeMans in it's proper class could be a great thing for Ford, if they get some wins. Seeing an S550 thundering down the Mulsanne stright would be fantastic.
I agree completely, which is why I said that it would be a good mission for S650... if ford could develop a fresh platform with potential for a future racing career, they would be able to develop a Le Mans mustang chassis AND have the financial backing to do it since the technology would be implemented into a mass-production car. But modifying the S550 chassis extensively for the sole purpose of Le Mans would be money that ford would never get back, especially with a clean slate platform for the next gen in the works. It just didn't make sense, which is why Ford axed it.

Vernichtung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford

I’ve asked this question before, but don’t think anyone’s actually quantified just how “quite superior” GM’s Alpha platform is when compared to S550. I know Alpha is slightly lighter due to its Aluminum-intensive construction — Aluminum that I hope Ford implements into S550 if it is, in fact, slated to underpin the 2021 Mustang. Is Alpha more-structurally-rigid? I know the 2016 Camaro outperforms the 2015-17 non-Shelby Mustangs, but couldn’t that be because the sum of its parts, ie, Magnetorheological shocks, stiffer springs and sway bars, more-powerful engines, better transmissions, superior tires, etc?

The GT350, to me, proves that S550 is just as capable if performance is the sole inicator of a superior platform. The next GT500 will undoubtedly raise the bar, if all the leaks and rumors are to be believed.

ClevelandV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully 2020 GT or HP Ecoboost
Author seems knowledgeable and in the loop...article seems legitimate.
However, would appreciate Ford media release for confirmation.
Any thoughts/inside from our Ford “insiders” on the forum.

I’ve always believed that Hackett was an unsettling and inappropriate choice for CEO.
The Mustang may not fit into his vision for Ford at all.
Welcome to the new Ford.

This blows.
Agree 100%. Hackett makes Dan Akerson look like an automotive genius while he was CEO of GM.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
I’ve asked this question before, but don’t think anyone’s actually quantified just how “quite superior” GM’s Alpha platform is when compared to S550. I know Alpha is slightly lighter due to its Aluminum-intensive construction — Aluminum that I hope Ford implements into S550 if it is, in fact, slated to underpin the 2021 Mustang. Is Alpha more-structurally-rigid? I know the 2016 Camaro outperforms the 2015-17 non-Shelby Mustangs, but couldn’t that be because the sum of its parts, ie, Magnetorheological shocks, stiffer springs and sway bars, more-powerful engines, better transmissions, superior tires, etc?

The GT350, to me, proves that S550 is just as capable if performance is the sole inicator of a superior platform. The next GT500 will undoubtedly raise the bar, if all the leaks and rumors are to be believed.
IIRC it is actually a more rigid chassis. It has a longer wheelbase with shorter overhangs, which allows it to center most of its weight. And the lower center of gravity of the LT engine definitely helps it, too. I'm sure there are other points that make it better, but I'm no chassis engineer (although that's what I plan on getting my degree in when I go back to school).

I believe what gives mustangs an advantage actually is the sum of their parts. I feel like that while Chevy has built an outstanding chassis, Ford engineers are better at working with what they've got, which is why we can keep the mustang on par with and, in some cases, outperform the camaro :ford:
Sponsored