• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 cancelled?

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, Premium, PP, Recaros
Hey guys, time for a reality check.

First of all they did not say the Mustang was being discontinued; so I don’t know why some of you are losing you minds over this. Secondly, this is only one article on the web. Are there any others that corroborate this? I checked a while ago and could not find any. Seriously guys, it is a car, and a relatively cheap one at that. And what if they did kill it off, life would go on. You younger guys have to realize that as you get older and get some accomplishments under your belt, then what kind of car you drive matters less. I also drive a Buick Enclave and maybe a another sports car in two years. Some of my aging friends buy their nice dream cars as health concerns literally have a death sentence over their heads. Sure you may be jealous of that car they drive, but they are dealing with their own mortality at the moment and not worrying if the guy up the road as a faster car! :lol: I don’t have my ego invested into one materialistic item. You need a nice new car for dating but 98% of women don’t care about horsepower and all that. They don’t care about performance packages. The Mustang is a cheap stylish car with some pedigree and that is it. On this web forum for Mustang fans it means something. But for the general public and especially the new CEO of Ford, the Mustang is just a rolling box with costs, production numbers and sales figures tacked on. He has the prerogative to kill it at any time if the numbers warrant it. They killed of the Camaro and life went on. The Trans Am is still dead and life went on.

Look, as a Canadian I proudly took Blackberries with me to international events, and now Blackberries are practically extinct. Now I use an iPhone. Somehow I managed to overcome...
While I agree with most of what you said, I still have a hard time believing he would kill the Mustang. That, to me, would be like McDonalds killing the Big Mac. It might not be their most profitable hamburger, but it's what they're known for. (And no, I don't eat at McDonalds) :crazy::crazy:
Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
If I ever want to feel a D9 bulldozer in my gut...I'll eat at McDonald's :lol:

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
Hey guys, time for a reality check.

First of all they did not say the Mustang was being discontinued; so I don’t know why some of you are losing you minds over this. Secondly, this is only one article on the web. Are there any others that corroborate this? I checked a while ago and could not find any. Seriously guys, it is a car, and a relatively cheap one at that. And what if they did kill it off, life would go on. You younger guys have to realize that as you get older and get some accomplishments under your belt, then what kind of car you drive matters less. I also drive a Buick Enclave and maybe a another sports car in two years. Some of my aging friends buy their nice dream cars as health concerns literally have a death sentence over their heads. Sure you may be jealous of that car they drive, but they are dealing with their own mortality at the moment and not worrying if the guy up the road as a faster car! :lol: I don’t have my ego invested into one materialistic item. You need a nice new car for dating but 98% of women don’t care about horsepower and all that. They don’t care about performance packages. The Mustang is a cheap stylish car with some pedigree and that is it. On this web forum for Mustang fans it means something. But for the general public and especially the new CEO of Ford, the Mustang is just a rolling box with costs, production numbers and sales figures tacked on. He has the prerogative to kill it at any time if the numbers warrant it. They killed of the Camaro and life went on. The Trans Am is still dead and life went on.

Look, as a Canadian I proudly took Blackberries with me to international events, and now Blackberries are practically extinct. Now I use an iPhone. Somehow I managed to overcome...
Halo car will always be important

I love this car for being a fast, excellent looking 2-door that is very practical in most regards, versus the typical compromises in space/reliability that fast 2 doors typically offer. I love a car that is centered around the driver and front seats, since they're what will be occupied 95% of my time. Its perfect for my needs. Almost ZERO of that is to show off or catch tail. I got plenty of kitty in some absolute shite boxes, including an old oil burning grand caravan with a bum transmission, white smoke, and the rear seats taken out :headbang:

That being said, people love the car. If it was a porsche or M3, it would look waaaaay too pretentious and douchey. So long that you're not acting or driving like an arsehole, people genuinely love the car, sound and look. It is far more inviting than something German or a luxury brand.

Unfortunately, my gut instinct is no S650. They def spent a ton updating the car to S550 spec when they could have done a clean sheet. They already sunk that money in it and its only been 3ish years. The supposed S650 development would be now, so I doubt they are already plunking down for a clean sheet yet. Hybrid-izing the Mustang is probably costing a crap-ton as well, more reason to save money and make do with the S550 platform.

Lincoln isn't doing any RWD platform cars, so Ford literally has nothing else this new platform would share with. I highly doubt they are giving this a clean sheet, despite what I believe are great sales for the 'stang. Not only that, but Camaro did that and it still can't out-sell the Mustang due largely to some minor practicality differences. For camaro to give it a tad more room, real trunk, and more visibility, it would probably weigh closer to the mustang despite its fancy-schmancy lighter platform.

I just cant see why Ford would do a clean sheet now. Hopefully that hybrid crap wont fit or has unique requirements that dictate clean sheet and drastic diet, because with this leadership that is probably the only reason they would allow a clean sheet :frusty:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Halo car will always be important
Apparently it isn't to Toyota and they're a cash cow. I can see Hackett taking the company in that type of direction and accommodating more towards the market needs of most millenials (before we go on a millennial rant, I am one...with a GT350, a tuned Focus ST, and a full bolted 2011 GT before. I love burning dead dinosaurs).

GNN60GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1 20 F250 6.7 20 Explorer
Unfortunately while I would love to believe Ford will never kill the Mustang... I thought the same way about gm never killing the Camaro yet we all know what happened.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Apparently it isn't to Toyota and they're a cash cow. I can see Hackett taking the company in that type of direction and accommodating more towards the market needs of most millenials (before we go on a millennial rant, I am one...with a GT350, a tuned Focus ST, and a full bolted 2011 GT before. I love burning dead dinosaurs).
It's impressive to see you at only age 18 having a GT350 and a tuned Focus ST. You must have a heck of a job man. Is your company hiring? lol :D

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
First of all they did not say the Mustang was being discontinued; so I don’t know why some of you are losing you minds over this.
Nobody is losing their mind over any of this. But this being one of Hackett's early decisions is not encouraging, either, and he apparently does have some reputation for being more than a bit ruthless.

And what if they did kill it off, life would go on. You younger guys have to realize that as you get older and get some accomplishments under your belt, then what kind of car you drive matters less.
I don't think I can agree with that last phrase at all. You see, I've always put a priority on "fun to drive", even over certain aspects of measured performance. Every car I've bought new has been above mid-pack for acceleration and up near the top of the heap for cornering and handling as compared to the direct competition that existed at the time.

I was 60 when I bought my Mustang, and we were both in our 60's when we got her Subie. There isn't a snowball's chance I'll ever by full free choice buy a car that I don't actively enjoy driving, and that means among other things that it has to be fairly sporty. I buy for me, not to fall in line with what others in my age group (now 70) might prefer or for what it might lead others to think of me.

They killed off the Camaro and life went on. The Trans Am is still dead and life went on.
And that probably had more than a little to do with how I ended up with a S197 Mustang instead of a Camaro. You need to know that I'd had owned a '79 Chevy Malibu for almost 30 years (and tinkered with it extensively) the day I drove my '08 GT home.

Yes, life would go on . . . and I'd jump ship again, just like I've done with the "family sedans" over the years for a slightly different reason. If the next car we buy is another Subaru, it'll be the first time we ever got two cars in a row from the same mfr.

Norm

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
The issue is that enthusiasts are not the majority, and enthusiast-targeted cars don't sell anywhere near the volume that passenger cars do. Hell, Ford might even save money by closing down the production lines for the mustang and not investing money in the platform. The dent it would make on their passenger car sales would not be enough to offset the money saved by taking a vehicle out of production
I understand what you’re saying but the Mustang has an incredible story, is synonymous with Ford and has a following in the millions who even if they can’t get a Mustang, they buy other Ford products. So as a percentage of car sales it might not be huge, but if you factor the Mustang in decions to purchase other Ford vehicles I think the numbers would surprise us all. I have a Mustang and I buy other Fords because I love that car. I’m sure I am not alone in this nor in the minority.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
But to most enthusiasts, Toyota is the poster-boy for "bland" and "unexciting". In spite of their recent advertising direction for Camry.

I can't beat up on millenials too hard over their vehicular preferences. Most of the people in my age group weren't much more interested in performance cars once we hit our 40's (you can blame my generation for minivans and - ultimately - for their SUV and crossover descendants).

Norm

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Yeah, unfortunately I know plenty of people who circle jerk it to the Prius and other eDrive trains of such types. In fact, we even have a psycho Prius driver by me. So much that she made the news and I'm not kidding...

Haha wow, well at least she isn't holding up traffic like all the prius drivers in Phoenix

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Why would those people complain, but decline going on the record?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
Can we just get a 7.0/Boss9 remake? I'd buy the shit outta that.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Can we just get a 7.0/Boss9 remake? I'd buy the shit outta that.

That was supposed to be the new GT500 and I was set to buy one. Now it will be a Vette. Don’t get me going. :mad:

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Ford Performance now has more time to develop and refine the S650's hybrid technology...

They will just add a v6 turbo and refine the v8 for the next 5 years. 2021 was too soon... nobody cares bout BMW anything, those customers are all drooling at a GT w/PP2.
Sponsored