• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 cancelled?

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Look at the Accord and Civic. Mechanically they have not changed that much.
The idea that a clean sheet design will fix your problems is somewhat wishfull thinking.
You just guarantee more risk, chances for supplier and engineering mistakes.
Fords Focus transmissions... expensive...
The Stang AC evaporator that required entire dash removal... expensive...
If you focus on cutting cost you can quantify, you will pay for the costs that you CANT or DONT WANT to quantify.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I completely agree with that, as the mustang is the main reason I've only ever bought Fords. However, I am simply saying that based on pure volume alone, the mustang doesn't sell well enough for Ford (Hackett specifically, since he doesn't seem to be much of a forward thinker) to not want to discontinue it. I feel like the mustang is a better symbol of the company than an actual product as far as sales go
Isn't that a significant part of the business case for just about every 'halo car'?

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I get that but even Hackett has to know not to kill off the mustang. Someone can’t be that oblivious :headbonk:
By his own admission he isn't a 'car guy' (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/10/22/jim-hackett-love-ford-not-hired-wasacar-guy/). I doubt it'd bother him to kill off everything that wasn't a truck, SUV, or crossover if he'd get an ironclad guarantee of profitability by doing so.

That'd amount to an ironclad guarantee that I'd never again set foot in a Ford store except to stop by the parts counter or maybe the service dep't for something beyond what I could handle myself.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
As long as they fix the front end asap I'm happy.
So if they don't "fix" the front end, would that send you over to the Bowtie side of the street or around the corner to the Mopar store for your next sporty car?

No flame if it would, I'm just fishing for how firm that statement of yours really is.

Norm

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Hey guys, time for a reality check.

First of all they did not say the Mustang was being discontinued; so I don’t know why some of you are losing you minds over this. Secondly, this is only one article on the web. Are there any others that corroborate this? I checked a while ago and could not find any. Seriously guys, it is a car, and a relatively cheap one at that. And what if they did kill it off, life would go on. You younger guys have to realize that as you get older and get some accomplishments under your belt, then what kind of car you drive matters less. I also drive a Buick Enclave and maybe a another sports car in two years. Some of my aging friends buy their nice dream cars as health concerns literally have a death sentence over their heads. Sure you may be jealous of that car they drive, but they are dealing with their own mortality at the moment and not worrying if the guy up the road as a faster car! :lol: I don’t have my ego invested into one materialistic item. You need a nice new car for dating but 98% of women don’t care about horsepower and all that. They don’t care about performance packages. The Mustang is a cheap stylish car with some pedigree and that is it. On this web forum for Mustang fans it means something. But for the general public and especially the new CEO of Ford, the Mustang is just a rolling box with costs, production numbers and sales figures tacked on. He has the prerogative to kill it at any time if the numbers warrant it. They killed of the Camaro and life went on. The Trans Am is still dead and life went on.

Look, as a Canadian I proudly took Blackberries with me to international events, and now Blackberries are practically extinct. Now I use an iPhone. Somehow I managed to overcome...

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GT
So if they don't "fix" the front end, would that send you over to the Bowtie side of the street or around the corner to the Mopar store for your next sporty car?
Nope. I'm simply stating that I think there's room for improvement. Love all the new tech on the 2018, just wish they hadn't touched the front end.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Tell that to Toyota.
Yeah, unfortunately I know plenty of people who circle jerk it to the Prius and other eDrive trains of such types. In fact, we even have a psycho Prius driver by me. So much that she made the news and I'm not kidding...

[ame]

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Hey guys, time for a reality check.

First of all they did not say the Mustang was being discontinued; so I don’t know why some of you are losing you minds over this. Secondly, this is only one article on the web. Are there any others that corroborate this? I checked a while ago and could not find any. Seriously guys, it is a car, and a relatively cheap one at that. And what if they did kill it off, life would go on. You younger guys have to realize that as you get older and get some accomplishments under your belt, then what kind of car you drive matters less. I also drive a Buick Enclave and maybe a another sports car in two years. Some of my aging friends buy their nice dream cars as health concerns literally have a death sentence over their heads. Sure you may be jealous of that car they drive, but they are dealing with their own mortality at the moment and not worrying if the guy up the road as a faster car! :lol: I don’t have my ego invested into one materialistic item. You need a nice new car for dating but 98% of women don’t care about horsepower and all that. They don’t care about performance packages. The Mustang is a cheap stylish car with some pedigree and that is it. On this web forum for Mustang fans it means something. But for the general public and especially the new CEO of Ford, the Mustang is just a rolling box with costs, production numbers and sales figures tacked on. He has the prerogative to kill it at any time if the numbers warrant it. They killed of the Camaro and life went on. The Trans Am is still dead and life went on.

Look, as a Canadian I proudly took Blackberries with me to international events, and now Blackberries are practically extinct. Now I use an iPhone. Somehow I managed to overcome...
I agree with your first statement.......absolutely no-one has stated the Mustang will be discontinued :)

But as for "what if they did kill it off"? The Mustang isn't just a materialistic ego-booster, certainly not for me. For me, it's a car with an amazing story behind it. It's a car that touches the hearts of souls of millions of people around the world. It's a car that brings people together, both via the internet and via meets and cruises. It's a car that helps for lifelong friendships. Some might even say it's not just a car, it's a way of life.

I just hope somebody gave Jim Hackett a copy of this for Christmas :)

S650 Mustang S650 cancelled? movieposter

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Nope. I'm simply stating that I think there's room for improvement. Love all the new tech on the 2018, just wish they hadn't touched the front end.
Some of the most contentious parts of the redesign were, I believe, for pedestrian safety and not for asthetics. So the design was compromised for global market reach. A clean slate redesign would give you better asthetics with the safety changes but this was only a refresh.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
By his own admission he isn't a 'car guy' (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/10/22/jim-hackett-love-ford-not-hired-wasacar-guy/). I doubt it'd bother him to kill off everything that wasn't a truck, SUV, or crossover if he'd get an ironclad guarantee of profitability by doing so.

That'd amount to an ironclad guarantee that I'd never again set foot in a Ford store except to stop by the parts counter or maybe the service dep't for something beyond what I could handle myself.

Norm
^^This. One of the reasons why Fields was axed was because he wasn't profitable enough and focused too much on products that weren't making money or that's how Ford's board put it. Hackett is all about the bottom line.

Btw guys, the S650 has been cancelled, not the Mustang. CLEAN-SLATE development has been cancelled, not the actual model...for now.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I just hope somebody gave Jim Hackett a copy of this for Christmas :)

S650 Mustang S650 cancelled? movieposter
Personally, I think Hackett is a f**king a**hole and not just because of the Mustang debacle. He's just a douche. Fields was a cool guy even though he was a bit of a nut sometimes.
Sponsored