• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Today's report by Automotive News.

Next-gen Mustang gets 8-year life cycle

August 17, 2020
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Good find TN! (and you've been missed!).

So....

2022 S650 launches as a '23MY (lasts 3 years)
2025 S650 refresh as a '26MY (lasts 5 years)
2030 S750 launches as a '31MY

For reference
2014 S550 launches as a '15MY (lasts 3 years model years)
2017 S550 refresh as an '18MY (lasts 5 years model years)

Odd that they're making the refreshes last longer than the all-new models. I guess that's why many (me included) expected a second, light refresh for the '21MY, although it seems that's not happening.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Odd that they're making the refreshes last longer than the all-new models.
likely because it was rush rush rush to get the 1st version out and then the engineers can step back and go fix all the crap they were not allowed to fix in the beginning. Happens every time in hardware and software when some executive declares a ship date will be honored no matter what - while having zero clue what all is involved.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GT
This story makes more sense than the 'S650 will be a 4 year run before the CD6 based S750' we had recently.

I guess the biggest question now is will S650 still be on an adapted version of the S550 platform (as was suggested earlier) or will they make the move to the CD6 platform straight away? The latter sounds more plausible to be honest.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
This story makes more sense than the 'S650 will be a 4 year run before the CD6 based S750' we had recently.

I guess the biggest question now is will S650 still be on an adapted version of the S550 platform (as was suggested earlier) or will they make the move to the CD6 platform straight away? The latter sounds more plausible to be honest.

This gels with information from a Ford employee on Blue Oval Forums who states S650 will use the current platform, but use elements of CD6. He even said it will be called D5 (so, D2C + CD6 = D5) and I've not seen that referenced anywhere else. This is the same employee who stated he'd seen the sketch of S650 (it will still have the S650 program name, but the platform will be called D5) and stated the roofline will drop an inch. Those are two very specific statements from someone who has previously posted good solid info on Blue Oval Forums.

Reactions: JWS

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '00 Corvette
I wonder if this means a full electric Mustang coupe is no longer planned.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GT
So basically the next mustang will be an even bigger pig:facepalm::angry::curse:
I think that was more or less a given already. In general emission standards around the world are a bit less harsh on bigger vehicles. So making it bigger will be beneficial to keeping the V8 around.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stuff With Wheels
The next-generation Mustang is expected to be moved to the same rear-wheel-drive/all-wheel-drive platform shared by the Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator, which could mean a slightly larger silhouette.
Noooooooooooooooooooo...... :crying:

It's already too big.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500, 2021 Bronco
I was really hoping the next-gen Mustang would get a proper new platform not one cobbled together from others.

Cobra Therapy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
I think that was more or less a given already. In general emission standards around the world are a bit less harsh on bigger vehicles. So making it bigger will be beneficial to keeping the V8 around.
I want the V8 around like the rest of the Mustangers, but to balloon all the way up to a tugboat challenger is beyond insane

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I want the V8 around like the rest of the Mustangers, but to balloon all the way up to a tugboat challenger is beyond insane
Hey, look at the upsides...

- They can charge more money (on an already too expensive car)
- There's a good possibility you can fit a bigger person in the back like you can in the Chally. No more Lt. Dan's only in the back. Of course, no disrespect to the handicapped.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
OK, before everyone claims the sky is falling, here's the full quote from the Ford employee on Blue Oval Forums I was referring to:

==============================================================================================================
"From what I’ve gathered and seen, yes the S650 will be launching for the 2023MY and it’s expected to use the same platform (D2C) which is now called D5. This was done for substantial cost savings. As it is the program is still pretty expensive.

But it’s expected to use many CD6 components. Again, apparently using all the CD6 components would’ve made it too big and too heavy. The S650 is basically a new top hat on the same platform with more CD6 components used.

I’ve seen a sketch, and I will say the roofline drops 1 inch to make it even more swept back. It will be gorgeous I can assure you"

============================================================================================================

So, potentially using a mix of D2C and CD6 means it may not grow as much in size and weight as many fear. And, I guess, calling it D5 means S650 is on a unique plafform :wink:
Sponsored