• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Recommended Octane Rating & Why

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
I have ordered a 2024 GT Premium, 6-Speed Manual, GT Premium High, GT Performance Pkg, Active Valve Exhaust, & Magnaride Damping. Ford recommends Regular gas (87 Octane rating). What is the general consensus on this? Regular, mid-grade, Super?
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I have ordered a 2024 GT Premium, 6-Speed Manual, GT Premium High, GT Performance Pkg, Active Valve Exhaust, & Magnaride Damping. Ford recommends Regular gas (87 Octane rating). What is the general consensus on this? Regular, mid-grade, Super?
Congratulations on ordering your new pony. Ford does not recommend regular. Regular is the minimum allowable and can be used for low demand day to day driving. But if you want the advertised horsepower and mileage specs 91/93 is needed and what Ford recommends.

So what you use it up to you. Personally my GT/CS is a garage queen so the few extra dollars for 93 is no big deal. That said many others on here use 87 with absolutely no reliability issues.

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congratulations on ordering your new pony. Ford does not recommend regular. Regular is the minimum allowable and can be used for low demand day to day driving. But if you want the advertised horsepower and mileage specs 91/93 is needed and what Ford recommends.

So what you use it up to you. Personally my GT/CS is a garage queen so the few extra dollars for 93 is no big deal. That said many others on here use 87 with absolutely no reliability issues.
Thanks for the info. My WRX (turbo) requires 93 and the extra 30 cents per gallon over regular hits the wallet pretty hard. That said, I get around 22 mpg in town. The Pony will get a lot less. Fortunately, I am retired and drive less than 5,000 miles per year.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I prefer Shell and purchase the highest octane I can get. I want the maximum out of the engine and car. 87 is Ford's minimum, the floor to help prevent any long-term issues with an engine and its high compression ratios.

https://www.toptiergas.com/gasoline-brands/

While I have a brand preference, there are several vendors considered Top Tier.

Edit: one of the properties related octane is how easily it ignites at a given compression ratio. Higher compression engines need a higher octane gas, to prevent knock. And certainly, the less knock you have (premature ignition) the power power you produce. Ford's Gen 3 Coyote has a compression ratio of something in the region of 12:1. Operating below 87 will not only create less power, it will increase the risk of long-term damage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I prefer Shell and purchase the highest octane I can get. I want the maximum out of the engine and car. 87 is Ford's minimum, the floor to help prevent any long-term issues with an engine and its high compression ratios.

https://www.toptiergas.com/gasoline-brands/

While I have a brand preference, there are several vendors considered Top Tier.
I use nothing but Shell currently. Perhaps it's time I get their credit card and save a dime a gallon.

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
I prefer Shell and purchase the highest octane I can get. I want the maximum out of the engine and car.
I'm with you. I run V-Power in both of my cars. I know there are other top tier gasolines out there, but I personally prefer Shell.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I'm with you. I run V-Power in both of my cars. I know there are other top tier gasolines out there, but I personally prefer Shell.
Used Shell most of the time when I lived up North. Definitely a top 5 brand. But since moving to SC seven years ago I now use Costco 93. Top tier and always fresh. And it costs a lot less. That said when I am away from home I seek out Shell.

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK. I looked into a Shell Fuel Rewards card. Very confusing tier levels. If I only fill-up every 2-3 weeks, I'm not sure the card is worth it.

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
I use nothing but Shell currently. Perhaps it's time I get their credit card and save a dime a gallon.
I save 15 cents a gallon with my Shell card. 🙂 Our son lives in Wisconsin and I had lunch with him this past Monday. I pay $4.59 per gallon for premium here in Illinois. I paid $3.55 a gallon in Wisconsin for premium on Monday. Saved $1.04 per gallon. :like:

Last edited:

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
OK. I looked into a Shell Fuel Rewards card. Very confusing tier levels. If I only fill-up every 2-3 weeks, I'm not sure the card is worth it.
I fill up about the same as you. Only put about 400-500 miles a month on my daily driver. I started out at 10 cents a gallon savings, but I'm at 15 cents now. Not sure why, but I'll take it. 🙂

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I fill up about the same as you. Only put about 400-500 miles a month on my daily driver. I started out at 10 cents a gallon savings, but I'm at 15 cents now. Not sure why, but I'll take it. 🙂
How do you redeem your "Cash Rewards"?

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
How do you redeem your "Cash Rewards"?
Mine just comes up at the pump, if that's what you're referring to. Asks me if I want 15 cents off per gallon when I put my Shell card in.

Last edited:

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
Because you are a cheap SOB! :crackup: :cwl: :like:
Maybe the pump feels sorry for a 75-year old man standing in front of it looking dazed and confused. 🤔
Sponsored