• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

PPF/XPEL on a Dark Horse

CT22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram1500
Who can share photos of their Dark Horse hood with PPF installed?

I am considering an XPEL PPF but the decals on the DH hood poise a problem. Do you do one solid piece of XPEL gloss for a more seamless look and risk the matte finish of the decals look glossy? Or have the shop try and piecemeal their gloss and satin options on the hood.

would love to see a picture of someone that did gloss over the top of the decal and your opinion of the look.

Thanks!
Sponsored

bfets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Mustang yet

I am considering an XPEL PPF but the decals on the DH hood poise a problem. Do you do one solid piece of XPEL gloss for a more seamless look and risk the matte finish of the decals look glossy? Or have the shop try and piecemeal their gloss and satin options on the hood.

would love to see a picture of someone that did gloss over the top of the decal and your opinion of the look.

Thanks!
Have a look at this video where Schmee discussed what he did.

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT

Thanks!
Sorry I can't help with pics. This is one of the reasons I got painted stripes. My XPEL installer said that if I were to have decals that there would be an air gap. Therefore I assume they would have laid one sheet down over the hood. Again, just my 2 cents.

onaccountof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
- 2024 Dark Horse -
I just came across this conundrum also. I had my windows tinted today and asked about having PPF on the front clip, the guy said it would be difficult on the hood because of the vinyl. They could do the whole hood (risking a raised seam where the vinyl ends) but I don't want a gloss over the decal because the matt Vinyl stands out from the Shadow Black. I'm thinking maybe they can PPF around the decal.

IMG_5823.jpeg

GhastlyTT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse and 2023 Mach-E GT
I drove my Mach-E to work today and I don't have any pictures on me to share right now, but I had partial front STEK PPF done that extends to the trailing edge of the hood vent and my installer's PPF machine template included cutouts for the graphics that extend forward of the vent so that it doesn't overlap the hood vinyl.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I'm using XPEL. The installer is a franchisee, with access to the company database and templates. PPF is cut on a plotter and later installed in a clean area.

You have a few options:

1. Do nothing. Leave the vinyl decal as-is. The PPF will cover everything except the decal.

2. Item #1 above, plus, cover the decal with a specific matte or gloss section of PPF. Costly. Worthwhile? Depends on the Owner and what they're striving for.

3. Item #1 above, plus, ceramic coat the decal. While not providing impact protection, ceramic coating will protect the decal/s from the elements.

4. Not really an option: cover the entire panel. My installer said they'd do it if I asked, but would not warranty any of the work. The concern is the transition from paint-to-decal and back again. PPF doesn't like transitions like that; it tends to lift over time.

I went with option one. None of my decals have been covered. The car is garage-kept, so element wear is not too much of a concern. If the decal get wrecked, I'll buy a new set. The decal in-effect is protecting the paint, my primary concern.

Regarding PPF and visibility, you shouldn't notice, unless directly on top of it. You installer should be able to show some current examples. A walk or drive-by, you cannot tell. Up close, you will notice the lines on some areas, but if cut on a plotter and installed well, everything has a nice, clean appearance. It's not detracting at all.

YMMV.

Edit: something of a hood pick, while standing next to the car. I later found another, directly on top of the decal. Notice the clean edge of the PPF as it follows the decal.

Edit (again): up close, next to the rocker panel PPF. A good installer and good product, you have to be that close to notice.

20230806_101229.jpg

20220726_133818.jpg

20240310_124757.jpg

Last edited:

JoseG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse Non-HP

Thanks!
I had a shop use a single piece of PPF that went around the decal areas. The glossy parts of the hood are protected while the matte decals are exposed with only some ceramic on top. The whole thing looks rather seamless with the only seams visible near the top of the hood. But you’d have to be looking for them to even notice. Once I get her cleaned up I can show you what was done.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
With the stripes on my car creating the same issue- I did PPF on everything but the stripes as well....

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
I had my windows tinted today and asked about having PPF on the front clip, the guy said it would be difficult on the hood because of the vinyl.
You shouldn't let that guy come with 100 feet of your car for PPF. You most certainly can do it, you just have to have the skills to do it. Clearly, he does NOT.
Sponsored