• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Opinions or knowledge of PPF and Ceramic Coatings

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
Ceramic coating does far more than make your car shiny and make water bead. It makes paint and clearcoat contamination and staining more difficult, reduces swirls, marks, and scratches, makes a more durable surface, prevents oxidation, and keeps the sun's UV rays and heat from damaging the paint.

It's as sacrificial layer that gives itself up to protect your paint and clear coat. The molecular bond between the ceramic and the paint means your paint remains untouched by outside elements, provided that you don't do stupid things like take it through a car wash.

Yes, you can still scratch your ceramic coated vehicle. You'll still get water spots and you'll still need to wash it. But there are far more benefits to ceramic coating than just making your car shiny and making water bead up.

Like I said, that guy wouldn't be allowed to be within 100 yards of my DH.

Hope it all works out for you.
The Ceramic Coating principles can't be explained much better than above. To think all it does is make things shiny...more research is needed. The best part is in the 2nd paragraph..:fistbump:
Sponsored

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Ya, that's what i said, makes it shiny. LOL

To be honest, with the care required to maintain it, I'm not sure (for me) it is worth it. I'll find out in time for sure. I do find I enjoy washing it much more. It could be because it is new. I have never really had a problem with any car paint and look. Thought I'd go the extra mile for this one. I have a black 2016 Ford F150 with no coating on it and I take through car washes all the time and it still looks great. I had a white 2014 CT/CS and used to Armor All it once a year. Never touched winters of course. White was awesome compared to trying to keep black clean.
Get yourself a foam cannon, a short gun, microfiber mitts and towels, and the right soaps, and you'll have a blast keeping it clean. The ceramic coat makes if FAR easier to clean versus a non-coated vehicle.

My black 2021 F150 Platinum is my daily driver. I have an unlimited car wash pass at my local Jax Car Wash. I go through it at least twice a week, sometimes more. While it looks great from a distances, you can most certainly see all the swirls and damage that the car wash has done to the clearcoat over my three years of ownership. From 10' away, it "looks great". Any closer, now way. Those automatic car washes beat the piss out of your vehicle's clear coat and paint job.

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
I’m glad to hear you were refunded your money. We had a few small bubbles in a couple of spots but not noticeable to most people. I took 20 minutes to inspect the car before I left. The sun and curing took care of all them. We only had one issue but it was something in the ppf itself and some fine polish took it off.

As for maintaining your ppf and ceramic coating, it’s not very difficult. Depending on usage you should decontaminate the car with water spot remover of your choice and use an iron remover at least once a year or two if you drive a lot. It’s easy to tell when the properties start not performing like they did when new.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

OP
OP
DRKKNITE

DRKKNITE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse (Handling Package)
Get yourself a foam cannon, a short gun, microfiber mitts and towels, and the right soaps, and you'll have a blast keeping it clean. The ceramic coat makes if FAR easier to clean versus a non-coated vehicle.
Yep, I have spent over $500.00 on supplies. Used to use a bucket and dish soap. LOL. I used to watch a neighbor wash his Challenger like every 2 days. I'd laugh thinking what a waste of time. Now I'm that guy. ha ha.

And you're definitely right about swirls etc. We'll see how well ceramic holds up to my washing. Have to acquire patience. For the F150 I use a detailer spray after and it looks pretty awesome.

Time will tell. I have to admit when I open the garage from inside the house and see the Dark Horse all clean, I do experience a WOW factor. I open that door often.

I'm sure it's just a matter of making new habits and being more gentle with the proper supplies. I even bought a leaf blower and a short extension to blow water off. The fiancé thinks I've lost my mind.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, I have spent over $500.00 on supplies. Used to use a bucket and dish soap. LOL. I used to watch a neighbor wash his Challenger like every 2 days. I'd laugh thinking what a waste of time. Now I'm that guy. ha ha.

And you're definitely right about swirls etc. We'll see how well ceramic holds up to my washing. Have to acquire patience. For the F150 I use a detailer spray after and it looks pretty awesome.

Time will tell. I have to admit when I open the garage from inside the house and see the Dark Horse all clean, I do experience a WOW factor. I open that door often.

I'm sure it's just a matter of making new habits and being more gentle with the proper supplies. I even bought a leaf blower and a short extension to blow water off. The fiancé thinks I've lost my mind.
Never wash in circles, always in straight lines.

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV

I’ve used a leaf blower for the better part of 15 years. It definitely helps remove water from the crevices and whatnot. I was that neighbor and you should have seen the looks I got when I used it to blow snow off the cars and driveway 🤣🤣.

I’d also recommend a drying aid. It helps reduce friction when your drying towel touches the car. Many also have gloss enhancers or protective properties.

And a waterless wash is a thousand times better and safer than a detail spray for those touch up times.

OP
OP
DRKKNITE

DRKKNITE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse (Handling Package)
I’ve used a leaf blower for the better part of 15 years. It definitely helps remove water from the crevices and whatnot. I was that neighbor and you should have seen the looks I got when I used it to blow snow off the cars and driveway 🤣🤣.

I’d also recommend a drying aid. It helps reduce friction when your drying towel touches the car. Many also have gloss enhancers or protective properties.

And a waterless wash is a thousand times better and safer than a detail spray for those touch up times.
So what is the general opinion on rinseless wash using Optimum No Rinse?
What dry aid would you recommend?

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
ONR is a very good product. Always is ranked in the top by everyone who tests these products.
As for a drying aid I’ve been using DIYDetail quick beads. I’m just about out and will stick with it for a while. I really like it and it’s easy to use and helps with my ceramic coating. There are a ton of drying aids and most are good products. Some offer different benefits like added gloss or ceramic infused, etc….

Im sure DFB50 will have a thorough review on drying aids if he doesn’t already on the 6th gen forum.

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
I carry Dewalt leaf blower in the trunk ... 🤣
Dang, I’m not “that” car guy but it’s a good idea. I have many dewalt battery tools but I do t have the blower. Maybe I will do this for the weekend getaways.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Optimum No Rinse, and other rinse-less wash products, are extremely versatile. Used correctly, they are safe and very effective. Even if you don't like rinse-less washing, a product like this can be used as a clay lube, window cleaner, drying aid, detail spray, interior cleaner, engine bay cleaning................................

If you have the time, check out the below video, it shows the safest way to use a rinse-less wash -

Short version -

Long version -

With drying aids, the choice is massive! In very basic terms, a drying aid is either a detail spray or spray sealant used to lubricate the surface as you towel dry the vehicle. The side benefit is you add a more gloss, slickness and protection to the car as you dry.

If the car is ceramic coated, you can probably get by not using the spray sealant types, a quick detailer like P&S Paint Gloss is an excellent choice here, its easy to use, smells great and delivers plenty of gloss. It's also very affordable. Meguiar's Last Touch is great too, or you could use Optimum No Rinse mixed at the quick detailer rate.

P&S Detail Products - Paint Gloss Showroom Spray N Shine | Rag Company – The Rag Company

S650 Mustang Opinions or knowledge of PPF and Ceramic Coatings IMG-2080

For products that contain some protection, I love either P&S Bead Maker or Obsessed Garage Drying Aid. Both of these are polymer sealants with some Si02 within the formula. The OG product is easier to use, streaks less. Bead Maker has more slickness, gloss and an intoxicating scent.

P&S Detail Products - Bead Maker Paint Protectant | The Rag Company
Drying Aid | Car Paint Protectant | Obsessed Garage

S650 Mustang Opinions or knowledge of PPF and Ceramic Coatings feb21163

S650 Mustang Opinions or knowledge of PPF and Ceramic Coatings IMG-2838

For towels, you want the medium TRC Gauntlet -

The Gauntlet Microfiber Drying Towel | The Rag Company
Sponsored