• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Ceramic Coating or Not?

Butkus1951

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150, 2024 Mustang 9(soon)
Hey all, I’ve never done a ceramic coating on a vehicle before and I’m entertaining the thought of doing it this time. I started looking around locally and they all offer a 2, 4, 6 year ceramic coating. What’s the difference? Is one better than the other? What should I be looking for when inquiring, filtering out what really matters. Any help or suggestions are all greatly appreciated. For the record, I won’t be doing this myself, appears very detailed. Any benefit doing windows and tires? Thanks
Sponsored

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
I'm all for it. Previously done it myself, but I'm having someone do it and getting a lifetime warranty on the ceramic. Absolutely, get the glass and wheels done too. Brake dust will wash off much easier. The pros do paint correction better than I could do. And they stand behind it if you end up needing a touchup -- a benefit of the length of the warranty. I doubt the product itself is much different between places that offer a warranty.

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse

Lou Rizzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Wildtrak
Hey all, I’ve never done a ceramic coating on a vehicle before and I’m entertaining the thought of doing it this time. I started looking around locally and they all offer a 2, 4, 6 year ceramic coating. What’s the difference? Is one better than the other? What should I be looking for when inquiring, filtering out what really matters. Any help or suggestions are all greatly appreciated. For the record, I won’t be doing this myself, appears very detailed. Any benefit doing windows and tires? Thanks
i just had my 24 GT done last week. It’s the first time I had it applied and it looks really nice. It’s shadow black so I figured it would be easier to keep the car looking good. They did the windows and wheels too. I have to wait a week to wash it.

Lou Rizzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Wildtrak
I have a spray bottle of Xpel boost also. They told me to apply the boost 3 or 4 times a year.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT/CS, C6 Corvette, 1997 GT Convertable
I am retired and live in snow country, so every winter I use very light polish to make sure that the paint is smooth and then put ceramic coating on. After two weeks or maybe three, I give it another coat. It takes me about a day, but i don't get in a hurry. During the summer, I just use Mothers Detailer to keep the cars looking good.

I don't think that there is a wrong answer, everyone has an opinion and what they like, but we all have the same goal, a good looking car!

rchandler9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Expedition and 14' Infiniti Q50s
Checkout at www.griotsgarage.com for all goods regarding ceramic stuff!
Yes!!! I use griots garage ceramic 3-in-1 wax on all my vehicles. Will be using it on my Dark Horse too. It’s super easy to put on and lasts approximately 6 months. Also, non-toxic when inhaled, it actually smells good. I usually reapply every 3-4 months though. 2-3 coats on first apply, then just a single coat there after. You can buy a truckload of this for what professional ceramic coating costs.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/ceramic-3-in-1-wax/

Is it as good as professional? Probably not... But, I think it gives the same shine. It just does not last as long. If you are going to car shows all the time, maybe the professional would be worth it. But I would much rather spend that money on other things, like PPF.

Also check out this YouTube channel ScottHD does tons of tests on Ceramic coatings.

https://youtube.com/@ScottHD?si=-anZ_UC-GRxwRMYj

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
The differences between two, four and six-year applications will be down to how much they apply, versus the actual product itself. Four years of protection is about what the average package is. Two years doesn't seem worthwhile. Expect the coating to gradually degrade over time. There are top-ups or products which can be used to extend the life and appearance of the work. The detailers can give their recommendations.

I have had my wheels ceramic coated. Mustangs shed a lot of brake dust. Ceramic coating the rims will make it easier to keep them clean. Getting the wheels done while the body is being completed would be great.

Some shops will do a light paint correction on the panels before applying the coating. Seek out a shop which is clean, preferably one with sectioned work areas, to keep dust and other contaminants to a minimum. If touring, see if they might have an example you can see. Find a place that uses these products consistently, that knows the products well.

After completing their work, they'll advise you how long to keep dry before you can wash. The detailers can also give guidance on products and routine they use to best maintain. The finish will be cared for a bit differently than a standard paint job, but not markedly so. Ask for their insight on wash soaps in-particular. Many soaps have silicone and "image enhancers", additives which have negative impacts on these coatings, preventing them from working properly.

I noticed you live in Maryland, with many of the same road conditions we experience in CO. If this car is a DD or driving during the Winter, consider getting PPF applied to all forward-facing areas, sections which could see rock and sand impacts. Many shops will do the entire front clip as part of a package, along with the A-pillars, headlights and mirror backs. Depending on needs and budget, some PPF the front third, while ceramic coating the rest of the car.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Butkus1951

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150, 2024 Mustang 9(soon)
The differences between two, four and six-year applications will be down to how much they apply, versus the actual product itself. Four years of protection is about what the average package is. Two years doesn't seem worthwhile. Expect the coating to gradually degrade over time. There are top-ups or products which can be used to extend the life and appearance of the work. The detailers can give their recommendations.

I have had my wheels ceramic coated. Mustangs shed a lot of brake dust. Ceramic coating the rims will make it easier to keep them clean. Getting the wheels done while the body is being completed would be great.

Some shops will do a light paint correction on the panels before applying the coating. Seek out a shop which is clean, preferably one with sectioned work areas, to keep dust and other contaminants to a minimum. If touring, see if they might have an example you can see. Find a place that uses these products consistently, that knows the products well.

After completing their work, they'll advise you how long to keep dry before you can wash. The detailers can also give guidance on products and routine they use to best maintain. The finish will be cared for a bit differently than a standard paint job, but not markedly so. Ask for their insight on wash soaps in-particular. Many soaps have silicone and "image enhancers", additives which have negative impacts on these coatings, preventing them from working properly.

I noticed you live in Maryland, with many of the same road conditions we experience in CO. If this car is a DD or driving during the Winter, consider getting PPF applied to all forward-facing areas, sections which could see rock and sand impacts. Many shops will do the entire front clip as part of a package, along with the A-pillars, headlights and mirror backs. Depending on needs and budget, some PPF the front third, while ceramic coating the rest of the car.
Thanks for the response, once the snow and ice come, she’ll be garage kept. I have a rule that over 40 degrees and at least 2-3 rains before she come back out. We had very mild winter last year, no snow at all. Thanks for input though.

Kraus143

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I did ceramic pro gold on my 18gt. Completely worth it! My car still looked new when I traded it for the 2024. Just had my 2024 coated with Ceramic Pro Ultimate Ion there new formula. If you want to keep your car looking new with minimal effort it's the only way to go

S650 Mustang Ceramic Coating or Not? 20230926_135208

Southpaw78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX
I hear a lot of good things about the griot 3-1 ceramic spray wax but was wondering if I use this and then want to get a professional ceramic coating done would I have to 6 months plus? I just want something to use as a stop gap until I get the paint issues I have corrected under warranty which could take at least a month or more.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I hear a lot of good things about the griot 3-1 ceramic spray wax but was wondering if I use this and then want to get a professional ceramic coating done would I have to 6 months plus? I just want something to use as a stop gap until I get the paint issues I have corrected under warranty which could take at least a month or more.
I wouldn't touch the finish until all your issues are corrected. Paint will not stick to wax so the body shop would have to undue any treatment you give it and if they don't you may be facing other problems in the future.

LCDRChemEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BE DH Premium A10
One thing I noticed that is missing in this thread - directly related to the OP's questions - is that ceramic coatings have ratings that measure their "toughness," if you will. The highest level (so far as I can tell) is 9H, which reportedly can last up to 6 years. I've seen some that boast 10H rating - and also seen people scoffing at the idea since 9H is apparently the highest rating possible. Like a amplifier dial that goes to 11.

Some of the best reputation ceramic coatings can only be obtained through a certified detailer, the most popular being Opti-coat and Ceramic pro. The DYI market, however, is chock full of products that you can buy via Amazon, for example, saving thousands of dollars provided you have the courage to give it a go and are meticulous about the application. I chose Chemical Brothers Carbon Force, reportedly a 9H product, which comes in a kit with applicators and enough product for about 1.5 cars for about $120.

As others have mentioned, and I can attest personally, this process is neither easy nor forgiving. The ceramic coat will lock in any flaws in your surface for a long time, so if you coat over a water spot, that spot will be your long-term companion.

If you are willing to give it the ole college try, please remember paint correction, which I call elbow grease, which means washing the car with plain blue Dawn (or the more expensive soaps that do the same thing) to remove all the previously applied waxes and coatings down to the surface. Afterwards, run a clay bar, high-speed rotary buffing, etc. Whatever it takes, from what you have. Once the paint is flawless - or as close to flawless as you can get it - move the car into the garage and let it sit for 2 hours so there is no dust floating around.

Various videos show the application itself, which seems simple and easy. Just wipe the stuff on and wipe it off. The trick is to not let it sit for long after applying. Some people say the product develops a sheen once it has flashed, at which point it's time to wipe it off. My mistake was waiting for a change in appearance before wiping off. Maybe it's just me, but I did not notice any change and, by the time I wiped it off, it already started setting. Try wiping off honey with a microfiber towel and you'll see what it looks like. For the second try, I just waited 30 seconds and off it came.

I've only done the trunk lid and hood so far, I'll move on to the roof next now that I got a sweet lock on mama's gadget. Slow and steady wins the race. I wash the area, clay bar and good old fashioned polishing compound, dry thoroughly, then apply the ceramic. Move on to the next area until no more areas are left to conquer.

BTW, in case you're wondering, it can be applied to the black plastic parts. Because it blocks UV light, it will keep them from hazing for a bit longer. Since it hardens into a hard film, however, be careful about applying to flexible rubber moldings, where it will most likely flake off.
Sponsored