• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Yet a detuned 2022 gt with 450 have no problem beating this scat pak
the lack of revs on the SCAT really don't help it vs Coyote. Scat motor is lazy too. I wonder if a tune would clean it up a bit...
Sponsored

klink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Camaro SS, 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT
So I've just read 52 posts and my takeaway is that most of you are just plain nuts. So we are OK with 486/480. That's a win. Now we are going to discuss torque until the cows come home. Like a few pounds here or there is going to make any difference on the street or track for that matter.

And, of course, the Dark Horse. Some of you should go back a couple of years ago and read all the BS on the Mach 1. How it was just a glorified GT, the 20hp wasn't enough, yada, yada, yada. Now we are doing the exact same thing with the DH. Ford told us it was going to be 500HP. Now that it's confirmed everyone bitching about it. Over 6 lousy HP. How about the rest of the car? The Tremec, the coolers, etc. The advertised HP number is, has always been, and will alway be total advertising BS. And we fall for it every time.

Lastly DH pricing. Hey, y'all it's not 2016, or 2018, or 2020. Forget what a GT350 then, it's pointless. The DH will be what it will be and folks are going to line up to buy every stinking one of them. Most probably with ADM. What's the old line about history repeating itself.

So, I expect the next few hundred threads to be no different than the last 52. Instead of being appreciative of what we have we are going to continue to complain about what we wanted. Oh well, carry on!
Spot on. Perhaps a little perspective is an order here.. I'm a Dodge Challenger driver and I look at the options that Ford presents moving forward and I'm jealous.

josaycuervo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1 (MT, Velocity Blue)
Promising news so far for the GT. The horsepower bump makes sense with the dual air intake (better airflow at higher revs, more torque at the top end).

Now we need to know...
  1. Curb weight. Anything more than a tiny weight increase vs the S550 will offset the power bump.
  2. 6-Speed gearing. Will Ford again make the gears even taller as they did with the S550 update? If so that will also offset the power increase. It would be understandable with the stricter emissions regulations.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Promising news so far for the GT. The horsepower bump makes sense with the dual air intake (better airflow at higher revs, more torque at the top end).

Now we need to know...
  1. Curb weight. Anything more than a tiny weight increase vs the S550 will offset the power bump.
  2. 6-Speed gearing. Will Ford again make the gears even taller as they did with the S550 update? If so that will also offset the power increase. It would be understandable with the stricter emissions regulations.
The dimensions and running gear are more or less identical, so unless they stuffed the thing with additional airbags and/or changed the material usage in the chassis to a large degreeā€”which we wouldā€™ve probably heard about if for the betterā€”then weight should be near identical

Identical transratios for the AT and MT unfortunately

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
tbh could you imagine reading that 10 years ago

maybe weā€™re spoiled?

letā€™s face it, outright straight line speed pissing matches have become all but null and void when Suzy in her performance EV CUV can beat the brakes off of most pony and muscle cars

a glass-half-full approach could be ā€œyou can buy a volume-series Mustang GT with less than 15hp shy of 500ā€ or the fact that theyā€™re still offering a track-capable version in the day and age of nazi emissions bullshitery

still convinced the DH wonā€™t last the length of the series and weā€™ll see some Ford Performance vehicles coming in the near future so Iā€™d hold out expectations for big hitters and be happy with what weā€™re getting rn
its 2022. And the s650 is billed as ā€œall new.ā€ That new coyote upgrades have been lauded.

we arenā€™t spoiled. Heck, Chevy has a 670 go naturally aspirated engine. We are recognizing that Ford didnā€™t swing very hard.

now, itā€™s sort of understood that Ford is doing the minimum as they wade through ICE uncertainty. But others have stepped on the gas. If ford wants to tout the car as all new, make a big stink about dark horse, and talk up dual inlets, etc., then heck yes, we expect more. Thatā€™s not spoiled. Itā€™s hoping for a reasonable upgrade.

6 horsepower? And a top model making 26 LESS hp and 11 lb-ft than the top model from nearly 9 years ago? And the GT has 2 less lb-ft than the Mach 1? That kinda sucks.

too bad the Camaro hasnā€™t (and may never) updated. Weā€™d likely see a 500 hp GT. The dark horse just seems like what the GT was supposed to be and someone on the board thought ā€œhey. Thatā€™s too good. We can sell that for more by calling it something else and then short change the GT.

I mean 486 is not bad at all on its face. But considering where the mustang was and the hype for s650, itā€™s a letdown. No two ways about it.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
its 2022. And the s650 is billed as ā€œall new.ā€ That new coyote upgrades have been lauded.

we arenā€™t spoiled. Heck, Chevy has a 670 go naturally aspirated engine. We are recognizing that Ford didnā€™t swing very hard.

now, itā€™s sort of understood that Ford is doing the minimum as they wade through ICE uncertainty. But others have stepped on the gas. If ford wants to tout the car as all new, make a big stink about dark horse, and talk up dual inlets, etc., then heck yes, we expect more. Thatā€™s not spoiled. Itā€™s hoping for a reasonable upgrade.

6 horsepower? And a top model making 26 LESS hp and 11 lb-ft than the top model from nearly 9 years ago? And the GT has 2 less lb-ft than the Mach 1? That kinda sucks.

too bad the Camaro hasnā€™t (and may never) updated. Weā€™d likely see a 500 hp GT. The dark horse just seems like what the GT was supposed to be and someone on the board thought ā€œhey. Thatā€™s too good. We can sell that for more by calling it something else and then short change the GT.

I mean 486 is not bad at all on its face. But considering where the mustang was and the hype for s650, itā€™s a letdown. No two ways about it.
granted, that 670hp sits behind a $110k starting price tag on a low-volume bespoke unit... i don't think anyone here understands the logistics behind mass-producing a N/A V8 under today's tier-3 regulations. the way it impacts fleet averages. the ability to sell it in select EU markets. i certainly don't

i think @Bikeman315 made a good point in that we're bitching about a few ponies here and there when we should be grateful that this kind of performance is coming to us for at least a guaranteed generation in an era that is more or less stamping out like examples

but you're not wrong for wanting to see progress, i get that

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Maybe the Ford engineers dont want to say how much horsepower the DH 5.0 makes at 500 more RPM because of possible long term reliability issues . The improvements to the 5.0 may show up on a dyno for those who push the RPM limit.

Dudie7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I still think the DH is gonna come out with greater than 500 hp when it hits the streets.

Dudie7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP

Wow, a lot of junk to unpack here.

First of all, you can't compare a mass-production V8 to a bespoke LT5 that sits in a purpose-built track car. It's clear that GM wrote a blank check to create that engine and it is unfair to expect Ford to do the same for a 40-70k volume car.

Ford said that it was expecting 500 ish hp from the DH when it was revealed, and they kept the minimum of that promise. It still makes more hp than the LT2, and most importantly, more hp than the previous generation.

At the end of the day, crying about ~20 HP and 2 LB-FT of TQ is useless as it's not anything you're going to feel in a car that will likely be heavier anyway. Instead, we should be celebrating the fact this car not only still exists but is still continuously being improved in a market where it's two rivals are either going to die or morph into something completely different.

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
Letā€™s not forget DH is 130lbs-ish heavier than the GT, based off that spec sheet we initially got. There goes most of your 14HP šŸ˜‚. Iā€™m still of the camp we will be happy when the DH is dynoā€™d. Flat 500HP doesnā€™t make much sense all things considered. Even if itā€™s 500HP flat, I expect the delivery will be noticeably stronger compared to S550 GT (same could be said about S650 GT compared to S550 though).

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Reading through this whole thread as I'm currently tuning my Mach 1 on E85 which will have more power than any of these and a GT350 in stock form. Lol. The fact that you can't tune these will be a huge turn off to me. The stock tunes always feel so mild and the lack of using E85 is really holding these back.

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
Congrats? Weird flex. They will eventually be tune-able. Some people also don't care to nix their warranty. I'm sure a good clip of folks here can't drive a 450+ HP car 10/10, or even 9/10. Know I can't. Valid point if you're chasing top HP numbers or 1/4 mile times.

Reading through this whole thread as I'm currently tuning my Mach 1 on E85 which will have more power than any of these and a GT350 in stock form. Lol. The fact that you can't tune these will be a huge turn off to me. The stock tunes always feel so mild and the lack of using E85 is really holding these back.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Congrats? Weird flex. They will eventually be tune-able. Some people also don't care to nix their warranty. I'm sure a good clip of folks here can't drive a 450+ HP car 10/10, or even 9/10. Know I can't. Valid point if you're chasing top HP numbers or 1/4 mile times.
Since when does running E85 mean you're only chasing 1/4 mile times? You do realize you can road course on E85 too, right? All I'm saying is until someone cracks it, the Mach 1 is superior to any of these due to the fact that it can be tuned. If you're worried about your warranty for bolt ons and a tune, then you may need to find another car. These cars have been tuned for years with no issues pending you don't have retards like Bama tuning your car.

Murfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2021 VW GTI

You're talking about a 6 horsepower gain for the GT over the Mach 1 as a let down? Lest we forget, in the history of the Mustang GT, the "next gen" Mustang GT has never (I believe) surpassed the previous gen non-shelby performance model. So we are looking at and increase of 26 horsepower (not considering the recent 10hp drop) over the previous gen, not 6. As for the Dark Horse, I have a strong feeling it's not going to be the "top model", its the equivalent of the previous Mach 1, so you're off base talking about having 26 LESS hp. Apples to apples we're looking at a gain of 20 hp. You seem to be really reaching here and looking for any and all reasons to hate this car.
Sponsored