• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Normal or Premium Gas

What gas?

• Total voters

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
If you can’t afford 91/93 octane then don’t have the car that’s my opinion don’t be cheap. The dark horse requires premium anyways
Sponsored

OP
OP

Adeel3466

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT NP/PP
My original assumption was that it required premium but then heard some people putting in regular gas and decided to look into it but from everyone’s replies I will stick to my original assumption

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
If you can’t afford 91/93 octane then don’t have the car that’s my opinion don’t be cheap. The dark horse requires premium anyways
It's not a matter of affording it or not, it's a matter of principle. Gas is insanely overpriced where i live. If Ford says the GT can run on regular, I'll run it on regular instead of gleefully accepting to get raped by the oil industry.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
My original assumption was that it required premium but then heard some people putting in regular gas and decided to look into it but from everyone’s replies I will stick to my original assumption
as far as i have seen, only one person has claimed that Ford says the Dark Horse requires premium. it doesn't, and Ford has never claimed it does. the only similar thing is the disclaimed that horsepower and torque ratings are done by an SAE standard that requires 93 octane.

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
It's not a matter of affording it or not, it's a matter of principle. Gas is insanely overpriced where i live. If Ford says the GT can run on regular, I'll run it on regular instead of gleefully accepting to get raped by the oil industry.
When you rebalance your portfolio give a 5% allocation to XOM, Exxon or your choice of oil industry major.

buy 93 … profit!

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
Like many vehicles I've owned, I accepted the cost of fuel when I bought the car. 93 is all I use in my Mustang. But I'd rather people be able to enjoy the car than have to pay the cost of 93 if they want to pocket the savings. Around my area, it's been $1.25 - 1.75 more per gallon, although I only go to Costco where it costs the same as 89 at Shell.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
If you can’t afford premium go buy a Prius.

I’ve always wanted to say that! :cwl: :crackup:

Seriously, this is around the 100th thread on gas octane and every single one of them is the same. Ford‘s performance and fuel economy numbers are based on premium. Therefore that’s what’s “recommended”. But, as been said before, regular is exceptable. So using regular will not harm the engine but why buy a car like this and then water it down by not using what Ford recommends? I only use 93 Top Tier, but you do whatever is best for you.
these threads are only satisfying when someone posts up some wives' tale mumbo jumbo about octane rating correlating to quality of gas or whatever, giving someone else the opportunity to correct them

otherwise the topic in question is as straightforward as coloring inside the lines of a kids book: use recommended to get full performance and economy, can use minimum if there's a minimum, typically at a penalty that washes out the savings /thread

Jivor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT
Is there any long term negative effects from using 87 octane? For a GT with active exhaust, the extra 6 hp should make up the 2% loss in HP. So precluding any persisting damage to the engine, 87 octane should work just fine, yes?

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
Is there any long term negative effects from using 87 octane? For a GT with active exhaust, the extra 6 hp should make up the 2% loss in HP. So precluding any persisting damage to the engine, 87 octane should work just fine, yes?
yes yes yes…. The 87 octane can not handle the compression. It ignites BEFORE the piston hits TDC on compression…we call this “hammering the bearings “
The premature ignition is pushing the piston down BEFORE top of the stoke…
87… 93 for that matter is hard on your rod bearings.
E85 ASAP.. for safety longevity

erocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Premium, '09 Lexus IS250 AWD
I use premium from Mobil... It's my only choice besides BP. I do go to the newer Mobil station a little further away that is newer with newer tanks in the ground. Top-tier fuel does work well for keeping valves clean(er).

S650 Mustang Normal or Premium Gas premium dude

dollybud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT - 2018 Dodge Ram 1500.
If you can’t afford premium go buy a Prius.

I’ve always wanted to say that! :cwl: :crackup:

Seriously, this is around the 100th thread on gas octane and every single one of them is the same. Ford‘s performance and fuel economy numbers are based on premium. Therefore that’s what’s “recommended”. But, as been said before, regular is exceptable. So using regular will not harm the engine but why buy a car like this and then water it down by not using what Ford recommends? I only use 93 Top Tier, but you do whatever is best for you.
Make it 101. Sunoco use to have 102. Now their highest is 94.

dollybud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT - 2018 Dodge Ram 1500.
yes yes yes…. The 87 octane can not handle the compression. It ignites BEFORE the piston hits TDC on compression…we call this “hammering the bearings “
The premature ignition is pushing the piston down BEFORE top of the stoke…
87… 93 for that matter is hard on your rod bearings.
E85 ASAP.. for safety longevity
Petro-Canada has 94 Octan. Price per litre is pretty high. If you can’t afford the best fuel for your stang , then personaly Dont by one.

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Petro-Canada has 94 Octan. Price per litre is pretty high. If you can’t afford the best fuel for your stang , then personaly Dont by one.
Hate this logic. No different than saying "if you can't afford a GT500, don't buy a Mustang"

SoggyBottomBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Will we really even notice it in daily driving? (My daily driving my involve some pedal to the metal lol) The price difference in fuel makes it hard to want to get premium if its not noticeable.

jamespmoran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150, 2020 Explorer ST, 2004 Thunderbird
Anyone ever use E88? The gas door shows it can handle E0-E15. So I’m curious is going to E-88 (which is 15% ethanol) will harm the engine. Some days you just want to save that $1 per gallon….
I think you might be mid-reading the pump—E-88 is 88% Ethanol. When I drag raced a fox body with a 408, we ran dyno tests with 106 octane racing fuel, and E-85. Made more HP on the E-85, but the constant maintenance on the ethanol wasn’t worth it. On a street vehicle that is not set up for E-85 it will destroy the fuel lines.
Sponsored