• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X2 M35i
S650 Mustang New Mustang GT3 IMSA race car is coming in 2024. Ford previews S650 Mustang Silhouette! FDBCF54E-132E-4D2C-82DB-3C1CF23E044A

Official Press Release:

FORD PERFORMANCE TO DEVELOP MUSTANG GT3 RACE CAR TO COMPETE GLOBALLY; WILL COMPETE AT DAYTONA IN 2024

• Ford is returning to factory-backed GT3 racing with an all-new Mustang® GT3 IMSA race car that will also be available for customers, starting with 24 Hours of Daytona in 2024
  • Created by Ford Performance and Multimatic, the Ford Mustang GT3 powered by a 5.0-liter Coyote-based V8 engine will deliver the full endurance racing potential of a Ford Mustang for customers globally
  • Joey Hand, one of the winning drivers in the 2016 Le Mans 24 Hours GTE Pro class in the Ford GT, will be one of the test drivers for the new program
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla., Jan. 28, 2022 – Ford Mustang, the iconic sports car that created the pony car segment, will lead Ford’s return to global sports car racing as Ford Performance prepares a new GT3 race car for competition in 2024.

Ford Performance revealed plans for its all-new Mustang GT3 race car that will compete in the International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) 2024 race season, including the 24 Hours of Daytona.

The new Mustang effort, announced in advance of this weekend’s Rolex 24 at Daytona, will be a joint program between Ford Performance and long-time racing collaborator Multimatic Motorsports. It will feature both a two-car factory-backed IMSA GTD Pro works team managed by Multimatic, as well as customer Mustang race cars for the GTD class starting at Daytona in 2024.

“Mustang was born to race from the start and we’re thrilled to introduce the GT3 version to compete head-to-head against some of the greatest manufacturers in the world,” said Mark Rushbrook, Ford Performance Motorsports global director. “With 58 years of global endurance racing heritage, including NASCAR and Australian Supercars today, we are ready to take Mustang to the next level of global performance.

“Multimatic Motorsports is the perfect partner on this project for us,” said Rushbrook. “Not only have they worked with us to develop numerous customer Mustang programs in the past, but its work on the Ford GT program and the new Bronco® DR customer race programs has shown together we can provide championship-level race programs for Ford and its customers.”

“We’re excited to work on this new IMSA program as well as the GT3 customer program with Ford Performance,” said Larry Holt, Executive Vice President of Multimatic Special Vehicle Operations. “We have a long, great working relationship with each other, both at the highest levels of professional sports car racing, and in developing competitive customer race program and vehicles. We appreciate their faith in us, and together, we can’t wait to show the world what’s coming down the road with Mustang.”

The new Mustang GT3 racer will be powered by a Ford 5.0-liter Coyote-based V8 engine developed by Ford Performance and built by long-time racing collaborator and world championship winning team, M-Sport of Cumbria, England.

The two organizations have a rich history in the FIA World Rally Championship and recently collaborated on the development and preparation of the Ford Puma Hybrid Rally1, which finished 1-3-5 in its debut race at the Monte Carlo Rally this past weekend.

“We are delighted to be broadening our relationship with Ford and extending it into the racing world after a very successful 25 years together in the World Rally Championship, which is once again delivering stunning results with the Puma Hybrid Rally1,” said Malcom Wilson, owner of M-Sport. “M-Sport has a wealth and depth of circuit racing knowledge and expertise, particularly from our GT3 programme that used an M-Sport developed V8 engine for GT3 that powered us to victory in the 2020 Bathurst 12-hour race and 2019 1000km of Paul Ricard.

“Our most recent engine project has seen us become the official British Touring Car Championship engine supplier which also uses Ford engine architecture,” Wilson added. “We are very excited about working directly with Ford Performance and Multimatic on the Mustang GT3 and will be working very hard, leaving no stone unturned as we join forces to fight for more victories around the world.”

The race-specific powerplant will continue the heritage of high performance naturally aspirated V8s in the Mustang platform. The engine will carry the heart and soul of the world-renowned Ford Coyote® and have performance and packaging modifications to make it championship ready for world class GT3 endurance racing.

The new Mustang GT3 race car will feature bespoke Short-Long Arm suspension front and rear, rear-mounted transaxle gearbox, carbon fiber body panels, as well as a unique aero package developed to meet GT3 targets.

Ford and Multimatic will make both factory-backed and customer-ready GT3 Mustangs available to teams from the start of the 2024 season.

Joey Hand, one of the winning drivers in the 2016 Le Mans 24 Hours GTE Pro class in the Ford GT, is going to be one of the test drivers for the new program, as well as continuing on in his role as a development driver and coach for Ford Performance. As part of that, he will also drive six NASCAR Cup road course races in 2022 in a Rick Ware Racing Ford Mustang.

“It’s awesome to be on the ground floor of another amazing sports car racing program with Ford,” said Hand. “As much as I like to compete and win on the track, I also enjoy being part of the development of new race vehicles like this Mustang. We did a lot of testing with the Ford GT program, so it will be great to be working again with a lot of the same people at Ford and Multimatic as we get this car ready for competition.”

New Mustang GT4 On The Way Too

Although the Mustang GT3 for IMSA is new, Ford and Multimatic confirmed that the successful Mustang GT4 customer race program will continue into the future, with a new Mustang GT4 expected to debut in the 2023 season.

“It’s important to us to continue to support the Mustang GT4 effort as well,” said Rushbrook. “We’ve had a lot of success both here and in Europe with the current Mustang GT4, and we look forward to being able to provide our customers with a brand new car for competition in the GT4 category starting next season. We’ll have more to say on that in the near future.”

The new Mustang announcements for sports car racing adds to a series of new racing Mustangs coming in the near future for Ford Performance. The 2022 Next Gen Ford Mustang will debut in the NASCAR Cup series Feb. 6 at the LA Coliseum and then at the Daytona 500 two weeks later. And Ford Performance is developing its new Gen 3 Mustang for the Supercars Series that will debut at the start of 2023.
Sponsored

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
Interesting that it won’t use the 5.2l cross plane engine. Also wonder if the suspension work or transaxle carry over to future production variants.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Well this is good news for the Coyote V8. If Ford is putting it in its racecar it sounds like it will be sticking around for a while more in the street car too.

Interesting that it won’t use the 5.2l cross plane engine.
I think in GT3 racing the engine and car have to be loosely based on the road version, and if Ford is indeed continuing the 5.0 Coyote in the street car, it makes sense they have to stick with that architecture in the race car.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Too lazy to look this up lol, but does anyone know if there are any homologation rules in place at this level? If yes, then GT3 and GT4 will definitely have to be S650 based, no?

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Also, if the above is representative of S650, then it certainly seems as though the S650 fastback will have a more aggressive rake as suggested.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Also, if the above is representative of S650, then it certainly seems as though the S650 fastback will have a more aggressive rake as suggested.
Also looks like the hood will be noticably longer. If the s650 has these proportions, it may actually be able to overtake the s550 in terms of design appeal.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
If you are wondering where the S650 is heading, GT3 and GT4 would be a good place to look. Motorsport is heavily tied into Ford’s ambition with the Mustang and its has been since 2005, 2011 and even more in 2015. I expect the Mustang’s whole shot at survival rest in the hands of competitive motorsport.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Didn’t they reveal what the bronco would look like with an off road race version before ever showing the production version? Or am I remembering wrong? Wonder if they will do the same with the mustang, show the race version before the production ready version.

MountainStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
Didn’t they reveal what the bronco would look like with an off road race version before ever showing the production version? Or am I remembering wrong? Wonder if they will do the same with the mustang, show the race version before the production ready version.
you are correct, hopefully same thing here!

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
That's what I'm thinking they'll do. They're already showing off the general shape of the car. I don't see them teasing something that substantial, and then going radio silent until the Detroit auto show. I think we'll see the race car or some other teasers during the New York auto show, with a full reveal at the Detroit auto show.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
I'm starting to wonder if Jem saw a different design proposal than the production s650. It looks like the s650 will have more striking proportions than the s550, if this teaser is accurate. I feel like he would have mentioned that. It could just be the tarp doing what tarps do, but it looks like they're also hinting at a side opening in the front that's similar to the gt500, I feel like would also have mentioned if the s650 he saw had gt500 like elements.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Forgot to mention - I would not be surprised if quite a bit of the tech that will be employed in the GT3 (revised, endurance racing-spec 5.0; suspension; CF body panels, etc.) finds its way to the GT350 successor/BOSS 302 - similar to how IMSA Corvette tech trickles down to the street cars.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Too lazy to look this up lol, but does anyone know if there are any homologation rules in place at this level? If yes, then GT3 and GT4 will definitely have to be S650 based, no?
It does need homologation yes. At least 250 cars I think sold to public. Biggest questions are:

Will the SLA suspension make it's way to the production car ?

Will the endurance racing-spec 5.0 make it's way to the aftermarket world or ford performance catalog ?
Sponsored