• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

MT82-D4 manual transmission in 2024 Mustang - should I be worried?

Trap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang Boss 302
100%

Do not give us an engine that has to spin to 7,000 RPM and beyond before it finally wakes up, and then saddle us with a transmission that can only handle 4,500 RPM shifts. That's the dumbest piece of engineering I've ever seen in my life. Like I have said before, the MT82 zaps every bit of the fun out of this car. I will never buy a MT82 ever again. Ever.

If you want to drive slow, never "race" or "mod" the car, then why buy a Mustang GT?

If you do want to race, mod, or enjoy the speed of the car, then why buy a MT82 that will prevent all of those things?

The A10 should be the only option. It's simple.
If the A10 was the only option I wouldn't get one. Yes I can get lockout on 2nd to 3rd, but a little slower shift and it works fine. For my use the MT82 works. Yes I would prefer the Tremec, but not for the extra I would have to pay to get one. I will not own a muscle car with an automatic tranny. Just me
Sponsored

OP
OP
SciaticNervePain

SciaticNervePain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Quick (possibly dumb) question. Does adding a short throw shifter, seem like many here in the forum like MGW, void our warranty?

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Quick (possibly dumb) question. Does adding a short throw shifter, seem like many here in the forum like MGW, void our warranty?
Has to be proven to cause defect. If you have a trans related issue then the answer is very likely. But if you have an engine issue, no way.

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Convertible, 2016 F150 XLT
Most of it is driver error, if the trans locks you out at 7800 but shift 6800 like butterā€¦ shift 6800.

people canā€™t feel their MT82 and monkey hammer it and then bitch about it.
the trans will 100% let you know what it is and isnā€™t down for.

just cause the engine will rev 8k donā€™t mean youā€™re gonna Force a 2/3 there.
This. Get a MGW shifter when available and be done with it.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
Had an MT82 D4 in my 2019 Bullitt and now have the Tremec in my 2021 Mach 1. Tremec is without a doubt superior.

However, the MT 82 isn't bad. Sure, it is a little vague (think stirring mashed potatoes) but with the available modifications (trans fluid, MGW shifter, Calimer rebuilt etc.), a lot of people really like it.

What maybe bothered me the most was the gear ratios. Really made the car a cruiser, rather than a sports car.
A set of 4.09 gears would have gone along way to alleviate the mediocre ratios with the D4. My 2020 GT feels like a different car with the 4.09s and the FR Power Kit.

MurphGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
As someone that has the MT-82 transmission and also dailies the car, I can say that the transmission has been very solid for me. The only annoying aspect was the rev hang after shifting on stock settings, but a tune has helped cleaned this up a bit.

Last edited:

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
I've been happy with mine in a 2014 GT. Only issue I've had is a lumpy 1-2 shift when it's really cold out. But that's gone in 3-4 min. Shifts very nicely at high rpm, never experienced a lockout.
It's pretty crispy and has a nice sporty feel.

Mine does have the close ratio gears - where 5th is 1:1. I think I prefer that, but it's not to be had now anyhow.

Get the manual.

OP
OP
SciaticNervePain

SciaticNervePain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I've been happy with mine in a 2014 GT. Only issue I've had is a lumpy 1-2 shift when it's really cold out. But that's gone in 3-4 min. Shifts very nicely at high rpm, never experienced a lockout.
It's pretty crispy and has a nice sporty feel.

Mine does have the close ratio gears - where 5th is 1:1. I think I prefer that, but it's not to be had now anyhow.

Get the manual.
I am sticking with the manual. Like I said before, I doubt it will be worse than what I had in my 2002 Lancer LOL... I am super excited, this waiting game sucks! I am planning on adding the MGW shifter down the road. I see they have a couple of options..

ItsRoyo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 mustang
I am sticking with the manual. Like I said before, I doubt it will be worse than what I had in my 2002 Lancer LOL... I am super excited, this waiting game sucks! I am planning on adding the MGW shifter down the road. I see they have a couple of options..
Lol yea im currently in an older wrangler manual that I just had the clutch replaced in and its still tough sometimes between 2-3 I havent driven a manual mustang yet but I ordered one and Im sure it will be a dream comparatively

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
I have the MGW - worth every cent - plus the PITA install. It's actually not too bad on the 2014 - might be harder on a newer car with the suitcase resonator things.

I can't wait to see these on teh road.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Drive it for awhile before switching out the shifter. If you do have a warranty issue with the D4 that shifter will shit can your warranty.

Pilafiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Had a Getrag in all the following cars with no issues...5 spd in my '89 Porsche 930 turbo cab, a 6 spd in the 94 Supra Twinturbo, 6spd in '15 Mustang GT and another 6 spd in my current 2020 Mustang GT. The transmission (and clutch) is definitely improved in 2020 vs the 2015. Very smooth engagement even at or close to redline.

snakeyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 MACH 1
ā€œMT82-D4 manual transmission in 2024 Mustang - should I be worriedā€

yes ā€¦!!!

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)