• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Milky colored Oil, possible head gasket issue?

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
i had made a post yesterday about my exhaust smelling like coolant/Sweet so i decided to do my oil change today to see if the oil looked off. This is what it looked like, not sure it looks right, what do you think?

*edit* i did add 2 bottle of ceratec at my last oil change, though it seems that was way too much. The bottle says treats 5qts per 300ml of Ceratec so i figured 2 bottles for 10 quarts of oil. Seems the slight cloudy tint is most likely from too much ceratec, live and learn lol.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Sf22giants

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
You’ve definitely got some contaminants in the oil that are giving it that coffee color. That color is a sign of some kind of water/coolant contaminating the oil.

the bright side is that you’ve come across the problem early. Get it to Ford immediately so they can fix it under warranty.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Fresh oil, watch the coolant depends on how long for analysis results and if the level keeps dropping a leak down test maybe.

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doing some googling, people seem to say that certec will give the oil a cloudy look but is completely normal. Anyone able to vouch on this?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
I posted a thread last night about my exhaust smelling sweet/like coolant as well as coolant level slowly dropping. Decided to do my oil change today, this is 4500 miles on full synthetic 5w-30. Does this look milky or is it just me??

Edit* on my 1000 mile oil change I did add 2 bottles of ceratec with the oil change for the tic issue. Could this cause the discoloration? I have a Blackstone oil analysis kit on the way, should I wait for those results to come back to confirm coolant or just take it to ford?
View attachment 578200
2 bottles of ceratec!! I only needed 1/3 of a bottle to get my tick to go away on my S550 you over did it with the Ceratec. I would do an oil change and that doesn't look like coolant contamination.

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 bottles of ceratec!! I only needed 1/3 of a bottle to get my tick to go away on my S550 you over did it with the Ceratec. I would do an oil change and that doesn't look like coolant contamination.
1 300ml bottle is for 5qts oil, so 10qts would take 2 300ml bottles. I did a fresh oil change just before I posted this with penzoil platinum 5w30 full synthetic and didn't add anything else.

So you think this is most likely the ceratec I'm seeing?

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
1 300ml bottle is for 5qts oil, so 10qts would take 2 300ml bottles. I did a fresh oil change just before I posted this with penzoil platinum 5w30 full synthetic and didn't add anything else.

So you think this is most likely the ceratec I'm seeing?
The ceretec bottle does suggest that mixture ratio. However, I am of the school of thought that as little as necessary is the better answer. If zero ceretec is ok, it can’t be bad to only add 1/3 bottle if that takes care of the tick.

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The ceretec bottle does suggest that mixture ratio. However, I am of the school of thought that as little as necessary is the better answer. If zero ceretec is ok, it can’t be bad to only add 1/3 bottle if that takes care of the tick.
I'm going to run this oil 5,000 miles with nothing added and see how it looks. As well as I have a test kit from Blackstone on the way and I saved a jar of the oil I just took out to send in for a test. That'll confirm the presence of coolant if any.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
If you are using it to stop the tick, put the least amount in there as neccessary.

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are using it to stop the tick, put the least amount in there as neccessary.
I'm going to go the next 10,000 miles minimum with joil good oil and then I'll add more ceratec if needed and minimize how much I use. This is only if my Blackstone results come back normal of course.

Ryunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 convertible, 1971 Mach1
I'm going to run this oil 5,000 miles with nothing added and see how it looks. As well as I have a test kit from Blackstone on the way and I saved a jar of the oil I just took out to send in for a test. That'll confirm the presence of coolant if any.
Liqui Moly claims the Ceratec will maintain in the engine 30,000 miles. I do not see how, but that is the claim.
Sponsored