• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Lowest Temperature driving in stock Pirelli’s?

akfinfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang Dark Horse - 17' Charger - 17' Ram 1500
Curious to know what the lowest temperature anyone has driven on the stock Pirelli’s for the Dark Horse.
Sponsored

Love my ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Prem convertible triple black
Had the sport summer only tires on my Shelby and I would not drive it under 40 degrees and that was pushing it.

mmerholz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
My Mach 1 is a daily driver with summer-only Michelin's. A lot of mornings have been 25-30F. I drive 16 miles one way at highway speeds. No cracking or other problems that I can see thus far. I admit I was worried, but so far so good.

steyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT PP1 Rapid Red
I've driven in 10 degree temps on my GT PP with the Pirellis. No cracking or anything like that at all. The tires definitely struggle to grip more under 40 degrees, though.

Mustang8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I've driven on stock GT PP tires when it was 46 degrees out, no isssues. It doesn't stay that cold all day here though, only in the morning.

gruvyhudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I got my mustang right after Thanksgiving and there were alot of cold days below 40 degrees. I drive it to work and back, no issues with cracking, main problem is handling. Any frost or light snow and handling is unpredictable, especially on the slightest hill. I recently got winter tires and rim set from discount tire, with a couple of bags of salt in the trunk in early February. It hasn't been less than 40 degrees on a work day since I changed the tires out in WI. Lol......anyway I should be set in case it's a cold snowy March. Everyone says you shouldn't run on summer tires in winter because of possible tire damage so I would change them out if you're in a cold weather state as soon as you can. I didn't see any damage after 3 months of winter driving when they were changed out so I may have gotten lucky on that one. I will be ready to go when it it warms up....can't wait to open my baby up on those summer tires....😃

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I drove my car on ice/snow a few weeks back (8F - 25F). Worst.Idea.Ever. 😂

Tires seem fine though afterwards. Only have 1700 miles and they look the same as they did the day I picked it up.

DSimon24GTPPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium, Performance Pack + Active
I’ve driven them in 24 degree weather once, 30-40 a few times. No damage to them whatsoever.. However, anything under 40 degrees, it’s going to spin in 1st / 2nd gear. At 50+ they’ll grip. The recommended 45+ is spot on, tho you can drive them lower, no prob.

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Just to clarify, I believe the main reason why the tire manufacturer recommends 45F and higher is to avoid potentially damaging the actual overall integrity of the tire (i.e. actual premature cracking of the rubber).

MidLifeManifustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 GT Convertible, 21 Explorer ST
At 7 degrees C (44.6 F) in sunny, dry conditions, the rear of my auto transmission GT PP went sideways when I floored it at 90 km/h (55 mph). Tires were slightly overinflated when I took delivery, and I’ve since adjusted them to spec, but that still shook my confidence in the P Zeros.

I’m seriously considering switching to a UHP all-season so I can extend the usable driving season. Toronto gets a bit of snow (Mustang will stay parked for this) but most years it just melts after a day or two after it falls and the roads dry up quickly -- yet the temp hovers around freezing Dec - Feb.

keithwalton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue Ember Dark Horse on order, Mercedes SLC
PZ4's will be physically fine in lowish temperatures but the levels of grip will fall off rapidly below 40f to the point you wouldn't want to drive on them anyway.
ICE & Snow they'll be totally useless and the slightest up hill gradient will stop you.

In the Uk it is common for cars to be run with 'summer' tyres all year round and as long as it doesn't snow you'll survive. There is a distinct difference between UHP summer and just Summer tyres which are the default here. Some people fit all seasons but they're rare / suv's.
I personally fit winter tyres on my main vehicle between november and march as i need to be able to get around in the snow (we've had None this year and 1 day last year as in 22/23)

The trofeo's on the other hand need much more temperature to work and will be physically damaged by being in the cold using them or not.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
PZ4's will be physically fine in lowish temperatures but the levels of grip will fall off rapidly below 40f to the point you wouldn't want to drive on them anyway.
ICE & Snow they'll be totally useless and the slightest up hill gradient will stop you.

In the Uk it is common for cars to be run with 'summer' tyres all year round and as long as it doesn't snow you'll survive. There is a distinct difference between UHP summer and just Summer tyres which are the default here. Some people fit all seasons but they're rare / suv's.
I personally fit winter tyres on my main vehicle between november and march as i need to be able to get around in the snow (we've had None this year and 1 day last year as in 22/23)

The trofeo's on the other hand need much more temperature to work and will be physically damaged by being in the cold using them or not.
Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius), so the P Zero System tires, like all summer tires, is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

Beyond the warranty issue, driving a vehicle with summer only tires that essentially turn into hockey pucks in the cold is simply not a smart decision.

Last edited:

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
if you mean the handling package and it's Trofeo RS tires, i do not recommend driving on them in temps below 45F because you will be driving on tires made of ice and probably cause cracking. for the non-handling package, its not recommended by Pirelli to use them below certain temps, but its much less of a risk. in either case, if you can, i recommend ditching the Pirellis and getting some Michelins or Continentals or even Uniroyals if you just need a tire at all. imo, Pirelli is trash and their monopoly in F1 only makes me hate them more
Sponsored