• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Lots of unsold dark horse on ground

rchandler9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Expedition and 14' Infiniti Q50s
That's fine, I'm not one for modifying my Mustang by putting a Whipple on it to go in a straight line. As I said before, my DH will be for track days. I'm sure I can attach a Whipple to a 10A GT that will go as fast as any GT500 or Rousch for less money, but I'm not looking for that.

Out of the box, not only does it outperform other Mustangs, but goes toe-to-toe or even outperforms its German and Japanese competitors on the track.

I'm actually the exact demographic Ford marketed so I'm obliging and very happy with what they made. Dark Horse name has grown on me a lot over the last year. It initially came off a little gimmicky, but after seeing it in person my opinion changed.

However, if someone can find an S550 GT500 for $68K, then please let me know.
I agree with this. The DH was not built to be a drag racing beast, and neither was the Mach 1. Ford built these for the track.

Personally, my Dark Horse may never touch a track. I just love the way it looks, wanted the more sporty driving feel in the corners, and the monstrous V8 sound!
Sponsored

cosmo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 2024 GT
I agree with this. The DH was not built to be a drag racing beast, and neither was the Mach 1. Ford built these for the track.

Personally, my Dark Horse may never touch a track. I just love the way it looks, wanted the more sporty driving feel in the corners, and the monstrous V8 sound!
Well said. I have to believe 85-90% of Mustang owners will never see a track.

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I disagree that the DH is not a special car. Recently my thinking has been changed. Have you been watching any of the reviews out in the last week, particularly Throttle House? The Dark Horse is a much more special car than the GT. I thought the same as you prior to all of the recent reviews.
There was a lot of talk about the Mach 1 not being that special as well. I can see where some of it comes from: the car it somewhat replaced--the GT350--had an engine that was unique to that model, so when the Mach 1 debuted and it had a slightly worked 5.0, it didn't seem nearly as special. Now we have the DH and it's basically a Mach 1 with a new name--except it doesn't even get a different intake manifold like the Mach 1. Sure, it's upgraded over the GT 5.0, but to the average Joe, they see a difference of a measly 14 hp.

rchandler9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There was a lot of talk about the Mach 1 not being that special as well. I can see where some of it comes from: the car it somewhat replaced--the GT350--had an engine that was unique to that model, so when the Mach 1 debuted and it had a slightly worked 5.0, it didn't seem nearly as special. Now we have the DH and it's basically a Mach 1 with a new name--except it doesn't even get a different intake manifold like the Mach 1. Sure, it's upgraded over the GT 5.0, but to the average Joe, they see a difference of a measly 14 hp.
I see it as much more than just the 14hp addition. Hence, why I ordered it. If Ford only cared about a HP bump they would have sold it with a turbo/supercharger.

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I see it as much more than just the 14hp addition. Hence, why I ordered it. If Ford only cared about a HP bump they would have sold it with a turbo/supercharger.
Don't get me wrong--I like the Dark Horse too and I'll probably end up picking one up at some point. I was just trying to point out why some people don't feel it's that special, and it's hard to argue that it's as special as a GT350 when that car got a totally different engine.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
There really isn't that much a lot of those cars are in transit and are special order which means was ordered by a private customer it's not for retail.

rchandler9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't get me wrong--I like the Dark Horse too and I'll probably end up picking one up at some point. I was just trying to point out why some people don't feel it's that special, and it's hard to argue that it's as special as a GT350 when that car got a totally different engine.
I get your point. To me it’s kinda sad that some people only care about the HP number. Not all the parts from the Shelby mustangs or the track/driving enhancements.

Does it not make the Dark Horse special to put it in the same league as a “Shelby”. I do think the GT350 sounds and revs incredibly. But to have a GT special edition Mustang that is on the GT350 level is special to me.

Marty1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD: 2016 Mustang V6
100 plus many handling pack cars, at msrp do you know what that means you walk in on a slow day in the winter, I’m in the Milwaukee area that’s within 500 miles search and you’re paying under retail the dealers trying to sell them over msrp keep lowering prices and with this many cars on the ground, nobody is selling these cars over sticker, if you ordered a car and you paid over sticker by the time it arrives next spring you might want to renegotiate that because the chances are they are going to have somebody walk in the door and pay what you were paying for the car is pretty slim. The balls in your court once car arrives and you already have a deposit , they know you’re a guaranteed sale. And the economy is not doing that well and it’s going to get worse. Dealers have all variants sitting these cars are arriving unsold whether it’s a eco-boost a GT or a Darkhorse that’s not a good sign if you remember what was going on with the Broncos or even the last generation, Mustang they were being sold before they hit the lot. Uh oh let’s go Brandon residual effect

https://www.cars.com/shopping/results/?dealer_id=&keyword=&list_price_max=&list_price_min=&makes[]=ford&maximum_distance=500&models[]=ford-mustang&monthly_payment=&page_size=20&sort=best_match_desc&stock_type=new&trims[]=ford-mustang-dark_horse&year_max=&year_min=&zip=53187
Looks to me like when you up the search filter to 6-speed tranny and 700A package with no recaro seat option and red color you go down to almost nothing. Seems like dark and white colors are what dealers are ordering or maybe FOMOCO is forcing the dealer take those colors. Just as Mach1 had the FJT color vehicles dominating the early production the DH is Vapor Blue, black and crazy shades of metalic grey and white colors. Very sad that we can't get electric green color or orange or yellow on the DH.

OP
OP
Tacticly

Tacticly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ram TRX
The $10k mark-up on the DH at my dealer is also a big reason. My .02, you have to be nuts to pay over $80k for what is basically a Mustang GT. I’m sorry, but the DH is not a special car.

I had a hard time paying the $54k for my GT Premium.
The $10k mark-up on the DH at my dealer is also a big reason. My .02, you have to be nuts to pay over $80k for what is basically a Mustang GT. I’m sorry, but the DH is not a special car.

I had a hard time paying the $54k for my GT Premium.
It 100% is! I have a friend that ordered a Model S Plaid—from his phone, no less—and took delivery of his car less than a month later. He scheduled a delivery time at the dealership from his phone, showed up, signed three papers, and was out the door! In some states you can sign the paperwork online or have the car delivered directly to you.
Ps I'll add unfortunately I think the focus groups Ford used have a high percentage of people who can't afford the car...

Its like they designed it for the younger generation then priced it so that the majority of them can't afford it
Ps I'll add unfortunately I think the focus groups Ford used have a high percentage of people who can't afford the car...

Its like they designed it for the younger generation then priced it so that the majority of them can't afford it

OP
OP
Tacticly

Tacticly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ram TRX
If you have a dark horse on order and you’re paying over sticker when the car arrives, you can use the link that I provided to show to your dealer that you’re not gonna pay over sticker because that’s just not the market on the car and you can either pay sticker for the car or your walking on your deal. You can go buy a car somewhere else that’s already on the ground. In addition, if you are paying sticker on your order, you might want to think about renegotiating that by next spring once the car arrives because the economy is not going in the right direction and there’s gonna be a lot of these cars on dealers lots next spring it’s gonna be a buyers market not a sellers market. And if you paid 20 or $30,000 of a sticker and already picked up your car must’ve been the first time you’ve ever done that because I’ve never paid over sticker for a car in my life.

JAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
the economy is not going in the right direction.
This week in the news they were saying that the American economy was still growing despite the interest rate hikes.
Could you please share what makes you say it's not going on the right direction? I'm not in the US so it's not easy to get the right information.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
This week in the news they were saying that the American economy was still growing despite the interest rate hikes.
Could you please share what makes you say it's not going on the right direction? I'm not in the US so it's not easy to get the right information.
In America what the news reports and what people experience is often two separate things. Still love it here but not a fan of most major news corporations.

Will add..

High inflation... income for most not keeping up.. high interest rates not bringing prices down much..

Record high car loan defaults .. 17% of new car loans were over 1000 a month last quarter..

The average family is struggling financially right now.

It's get the right and the left to fight over social issues while the politicians run away with all the money

Last edited:

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
Does it not make the Dark Horse special to put it in the same league as a “Shelby”. I do think the GT350 sounds and revs incredibly. But to have a GT special edition Mustang that is on the GT350 level is special to me.
That'll provoke the GT350 folks out of the woodwork. I haven't heard anyone agree these two (DH and GT350) are in the same league any more than a GT with a few factory options is in the same league as the GT350 (but it's much closer to the DH).

Get the DH for name, badging, looks, and/or track add-ons. No reason to split hairs over costs, similarities with GT performance or specialness. It's a Mustang first. There will be faster ones, more unique ones, more expensive ones, louder ones, better handling ones and everything else than all of our Mustangs from the factory. But I love my car. And I hope everyone else does too.

OP
OP
Tacticly

Tacticly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ram TRX
Be wary of searches, I have been calling on cars that show up on autotrader and cars.com and a lot of them are already sold special orders, but they auto populate when they are in transit.

That being said, I did just find a Handling Package at MSRP in Houston.
The ones with real pictures on the ground are almost always not many handling package cars

OP
OP
Tacticly

Tacticly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ram TRX
That’s because of all the inflation if the prices goes up GDP goes up but people still have less expendable income which is what will matter in the next election
Sponsored