• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Let’s talk about Evs

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
@steveo1960 i had the exact opposite experience.

I drove a friends model S (not even plaid) but it had ludicrous iirc.
It wasn’t silent AT ALL, it sounded like laser beams ripping down the road.
I have a 9 second foxbody and the only thing it has over the Tesla is violence and needing to be worked on constantly.

I found the soul of a EV intoxicating… I would EV swap my dart block 331 with 20#s of boost in a heartbeat if/when kits become available

If I could get 150-200 mile range and 800Hp/800tq
Sold.

OP
OP
Zig

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Gov't needs to give it up.
Gov mandates are akin to requiring folks to use microwave ovens
The article has a mistake in it. Horse power is generated by current times the number of windings in the motor. Half the current and double the voltage, you need twice the windings in the motor. Higher voltage might result in less loss and there are other advantages but wattage(horse power)=volts*amps. It has been that way from the first electric motor. Permanent magnets eliminate the need to use power to generate one of the two magnetic fields but that isn't new. Long before the great permeant magnets of today, we could still get between 80 and 90 precent efficiency out of a motor.
my take away was along the lines of how far over the skis they need to go and yet advancements cause obsolescence fairly quickly.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Gov mandates are akin to requiring folks to use microwave ovens

my take away was along the lines of how far over the skis they need to go and yet advancements cause obsolescence fairly quickly.
I wasn't critical of you. I was critical of reporters who write about topics they don't understand. It has always been a problem but with science being reported on much more today, much of what you read has errors in it. Unfortunately that's how we get snow job when it wants to push something green. Government isn't about science, it's about getting votes for the next election. They are going for fooling all of the people some of the time.
I have to admit that I first learned about "Charles Proteus Steinmetz" at a very young age and probably anything you touch today that is electronic probably has some of his work used in the design. He left such a wealth of information that I am not sure most modern engineers fully understand all of his work. We wouldn't have efficient electric motors today if it wasn't for some of his very early work while in this country.

Reactions: Zig

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
RTX gets $10 million DARPA funding to build wireless 'energy webs'

https://interestingengineering.com/military/rtx-10m-power-funding
DARPA is like that. They are the ones responsible for the internet. I suspect some good will come out of it but maybe not what they expect. Shift the beam and you have a weapon. It might be used to power established bases but for somebody in the field it would give away their location. The big problem will be reducing the losses. I see a lot of problems and I just hope they have some good ideas on how to deal with them.

Reactions: Zig

Tony Darius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
only Mustangs
At the moment it is doubtful that EVs will be able to replace ICE cars but as long as EVs are able to reach 1000-km mark on a single charge I guess it will be a boost for mass adoption.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 ND2 30th anniversary
Purely seen as a mode of transport (for a normal person/family) an EV is hard to beat in my opinion. Not speaking of how the batteries are produced and the BOM or if it is Dr evil producing the car or not....

Specially for us that live close to everything. For me (borderline OCD) not having to worry about cold engine/fluids etc. As a daily an EV is golden. Soulless yes, fun sometimes but for a 5-20 min drive it's fine. We have done longer drives also (500km+) and it has worked out well. Also other great benefits is that the cars cabin warms/cools down really quick(golden in winter). Here in Europe I think the daily average commute is under 50km if I am not mistaken, so the range anxiety would be for few occasions during the year when going on trips etc. But with e.g. more and more opened tesla SCs it makes such travel it much easier.

With my ICE cars e.g going to the gym is a hassle for me. It's to close so I have to take de-tour there and home just to get the car up to temp before shutting it off. Getting groceries/schools/soccer practice etc etc it's the same.

I am holding off and see what the pricing for Hyundai Ioniq 5N will be here in Sweden. That would be a perfect daily!

For pure driving pleasure the MX5 is a good fix for now :) . I am not to positive over if we will get the S650 in Sweden even and if so It will be crazy pricing. We will get two variants of the Bronco, that are in the 50K USD bracket in the US and here they are asking 100K....

Last edited:

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Purely seen as a mode of transport (for a normal person/family) an EV is hard to beat in my opinion. Not speaking of how the batteries are produced and the BOM or if it is Dr evil producing the car or not....

Specially for us that live close to everything. For me (borderline OCD) not having to worry about cold engine/fluids etc. As a daily an EV is golden. Soulless yes, fun sometimes but for a 5-20 min drive it's fine. We have done longer drives also (500km+) and it has worked out well. Also other great benefits is that the cars cabin warms/cools down really quick(golden in winter). Here in Europe I think the daily average commute is under 50km if I am not mistaken, so the range anxiety would be for few occasions during the year when going on trips etc. But with e.g. more and more opened tesla SCs it makes such travel it much easier.

With my ICE cars e.g going to the gym is a hassle for me. It's to close so I have to take de-tour there and home just to get the car up to temp before shutting it off. Getting groceries/schools/soccer practice etc etc it's the same.

I am holding off and see what the pricing for Hyundai Ioniq 5N will be here in Sweden. That would be a perfect daily!
For all those shouting at the sky about EV's and how they will never work there are 10x that number of people buying them, using them, and finding out they are actually really quite good.

Bertha Benz was ridiculed collecting her ligroin and this is no different

MGHTYDX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BMW i4 M50; 2024 Mustang GT Premium
I use my EV as a daily driver and my Mustang GT as a weekend car. But if I need to use the carpool lanes on the weekend to avoid traffic, then it's the EV on the weekends as well.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
For all those shouting at the sky about EV's and how they will never work there are 10x that number of people buying them, using them, and finding out they are actually really quite good.
And yet the recidivism rate is almost 25%. That's frightful and means plenty of people found them unworkable or the tradeoffs insufficient. Just because we haven't yet run out of fools doesn't mean it's a good thing. :) What's the saying? Never underestimate the infinite supply of human stupidity.

Again, not staying there aren't good use cases.

OP
OP
Zig

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Bertha Benz was ridiculed collecting her ligroin and this is no different
Why would one go pure electric when a dual system is more practical?

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And yet the recidivism rate is almost 25%. That's frightful and means plenty of people found them unworkable or the tradeoffs insufficient. Just because we haven't yet run out of fools doesn't mean it's a good thing. :) What's the saying? Never underestimate the infinite supply of human stupidity.

Again, not staying there aren't good use cases.
But you are saying that people who buy EV's are fools or stupid. Not much point in having a 'discussion' with somebody with that attitude, you have made your position clear.

Lucky you are so smart :clap:

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why would one go pure electric when a dual system is more practical?
Because it isn't for a lot of people. Average journey in the US is little more than the UK at around 8 miles. Most people live in cities (obviously) and for them the EV is perfect.

OP
OP
Zig

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Because it isn't for a lot of people. Average journey in the US is little more than the UK at around 8 miles. Most people live in cities (obviously) and for them the EV is perfect.
Which would make a dual system perfect. If the ‘average’ daily commute requirement is 50 miles or less a small supplement system with a 50 mile range would be fairly straight forward and would leverage the existing infrastructure.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which would make a dual system perfect. If the ‘average’ daily commute requirement is 50 miles or less a small supplement system with a 50 mile range would be fairly straight forward and would leverage the existing infrastructure.
All EV's have a 50 mile range.

Why carry an engine or anything else when you don't need it. A PHEV has it's place for some users but for most an EV is a better option
Sponsored